#1 2008-10-06 13:09:41

"Restaurant chain Pizza Hut is to change its name to Pasta Hut in an effort to develop a healthier image."

BTW: Maybe Brits should also stop eating Heinz Baked Beans for breakfast, too...

#2 2008-10-06 13:20:19

I strongly disapprove.  When I think of tasteless homogenized convenient pizza-like food, I do not think "Pasta Hut."

#3 2008-10-06 13:23:53

Oh, silly George. Now, when you think of overcooked linguini in a tasteless homogenized sauce, you'll of "Pasta Hut".

#4 2008-10-06 13:24:26

It cracks me up that they charge something like $12.00
+tip for what it costs me pennies to make a million times better. I'm talking about the new pasta. My kid had it over at a sleepover and came back and told me it was naaaasty.

#5 2008-10-06 13:28:20

OK, what happened to the edit function?

#6 2008-10-06 13:54:00

Taint wrote:

OK, what happened to the edit function?

I think you mean, what happened to your edit function.
(Because mine works just fine.)

Last edited by WilberCuntLicker (2008-10-06 13:54:34)

#7 2008-10-06 14:04:49

Oh, fine, rub salt into the wound.

#8 2008-10-06 14:07:43

Taint wrote:

Oh, silly George. Now, when you think of overcooked linguini in a tasteless homogenized sauce, you'll of "Pasta Hut".

Like sofa, I make my own damn pasta, thank you.

#9 2008-10-06 19:40:24

sofaking wrote:

It cracks me up that they charge something like $12.00
+tip for what it costs me pennies to make a million times better. I'm talking about the new pasta. My kid had it over at a sleepover and came back and told me it was naaaasty.

I think the chicken one is GREAT. I got fucked up for a weekend and ate the whole 3 pound deal myself. I'll give you the fact that you can make it cheaper, but you have to actually go through the process of doing it. If your time is worth anything, you can't even touch the 12 bucks plus 5 five dollar tip to have it brought to your door, ready to plow.

#10 2008-10-07 00:33:28

Bigcat wrote:

If your time is worth anything, you can't even touch the 12 bucks plus 5 five dollar tip to have it brought to your door, ready to plow.

They say the same thing about callgirls.

#11 2008-10-07 00:44:58

AladdinSane wrote:

"Restaurant chain Pizza Hut is to change its name to Pasta Hut in an effort to develop a healthier image."

BTW: Maybe Brits should also stop eating Heinz Baked Beans for breakfast, too...

Jesus fuck.  What a load of bollocks.  No one will honestly be fooled, will they?  Then again, there are retards on this side of the pond who think that WingStreet is an actual separate entity housed within their local Pizza Butt.

#12 2008-10-07 01:31:49

whiskytangofoxtrot wrote:

AladdinSane wrote:

Jesus fuck.  What a load of bollocks.  No one will honestly be fooled, will they?  Then again, there are retards on this side of the pond who think that WingStreet is an actual separate entity housed within their local Pizza Butt.

I thought WingStreet runs parallel to High Street...

I'll be here all week. Try the Tuscani Pasta.

Seriously, though, if one freezes the sauce (made in a huge batch), you can have it ready quicker than it takes to deliver it. I made homemade pesto in 10 minutes tonight. It's not fucking rocket science.

In my world, I like to make my own food, and be lazy and serve it on paper plates. It's kind of the opposite of when people order takeout and then arrange and serve it on fine china. People love to eat at my house.

#13 2008-10-07 09:32:24

Make your own sauce: No problemo.
Make your own noodles: Too much trouble for something you can buy for $1.

If I can't make a better spaghetti and sauce in less time and money than it takes for you to make the call and have it delivered, Ill eat it. But even canned sauce is better than that nasty Pizza the Hut sauce. (I got "treated" to lunch by a client there and it was about the only thing on the menu without 10 lbs of cheeze or lots of cream sauce)

#14 2008-10-07 09:37:43

GooberMcNutly wrote:

(I got "treated" to lunch by a client there)

That's quite a class of client you've got. What are you, a pimp?

#15 2008-10-07 12:28:34

sofaking wrote:

Seriously, though, if one freezes the sauce (made in a huge batch), you can have it ready quicker than it takes to deliver it. I made homemade pesto in 10 minutes tonight. It's not fucking rocket science.

This is my M.O. as well--you spend roughly an hour chopping, sauteeing and preparing, another couple hours sitting on your ass enjoying a leisure activity while it simmers, you pack it up in meal-size containers and freeze it, and you have convenient future meals of excellence.

And that's the hard version.  Pesto takes minutes and freezes like a dream.

As for pasta:  pfft.  Pasta is flour paste in shapes.  Yes, the fresh stuff is slightly better, but the boxed stuff runs you about twenty cents per meal and is perfectly fine.

#16 2008-10-07 12:45:50

I won't bother, generally, with making spaghetti or linguini or tagliatelli, but few things are as wonderful as homemade ravioli or canelloni.

#17 2008-10-07 12:48:37

I make a twelve pound lasagna that would blow your fucking mind.

#18 2008-10-07 12:53:13

jesusluvspegging wrote:

What? Do I look like a size queen?

#19 2008-10-07 12:55:46

Taint wrote:

jesusluvspegging wrote:

What? Do I look like a size queen?

Maybe, maybe not, but I know you wanna fill your gullet with my steaming ricotta.

#20 2008-10-07 12:57:03

Seriously, twelve pounds? Are you running soup kitchen?

#21 2008-10-07 12:58:21

pALEPHx wrote:

Seriously, twelve pounds? Are you running soup kitchen?

Assuming standard twenty-something skinny white boy portions of one pound, you're talking twelve servings.  It freezes well, too.

#22 2008-10-07 13:00:40

Would you guys shut up?
You're making me hungry.
I used to make ravioli by hand - with all manner of filling (often something and truffles). I even bought a special "lampe" I think it's called to press them into. But then I began having migraines after drinking red wine...and I lost my inspiration for long afternoons cooking Italian food. These days I just eat root vegetables and rice - oh the joys of hermithood.

#23 2008-10-07 13:24:12

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Would you guys shut up?
You're making me hungry.
I used to make ravioli by hand - with all manner of filling (often something and truffles). I even bought a special "lampe" I think it's called to press them into. But then I began having migraines after drinking red wine...and I lost my inspiration for long afternoons cooking Italian food. These days I just eat root vegetables and rice - oh the joys of hermithood.

We'll be hitting the peak of the turnip season before much longer!

#24 2008-10-07 13:25:18

Taint wrote:

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Would you guys shut up?
You're making me hungry.

We'll be hitting the peak of the turnip season before much longer!

Turnips are a waste of perfectly good collard-growing dirt.

#25 2008-10-07 13:29:46

2 bunches collards
6 slices bacon
1 large sweet onion (such as Vidalia)
2 cloves garlic
Pinch of red chili flakes
1 Tbsp rice, or similarly mild, vinegar
1 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

* After washing the greens, cut out the tough spines of the leaves (You can do this easily by simply running a knife down both sides of the spine, separating it from the tender green part). Roll a few of the leaves at a time into tight cigars and then slicing vertically across the roll, cut them into strips about ¼” wide (This technique is called a chiffonade). Set aside.
    * Begin heating a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil.
    * Stacking the bacon slices, cut them across vertically into small pieces. Add the meat to the pan and begin to fry until bacon is crisp.
    * Slice the onion into two halves, and then cutting vertically into each half, slice the onion into ¼” julienne. When the bacon has sufficiently browned, drain off excess fat and add onion slices, cooking until translucent.
    * Mince the garlic, and add to the bacon and onion mixture along with the dried chili flakes.
    * Add the sliced collards and stir to thoroughly coat the greens with the fat in the pan. Cover the pan and allow the greens to cook over low heat, stirring occasionally. When the collards have reduced in volume and have turned bright green remove from heat and transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle the collards with the vinegar and serve.
    * Serves 4 to 6 persons as part of a multi-course meal.

#26 2008-10-07 13:39:41

Taint wrote:

6 slices bacon

I use a smoked bacon that's cut into ~1" cubes, and I use a good deal more of it (I think it's a 12 oz package that I use).

Generally I use a couple of tabasco peppers from the pepper sauce jar, and some of the sauce of course. 

Generally I use apple cider vinegar.

Other than that, our recipes are essentially identical.

Last edited by jesusluvspegging (2008-10-07 13:42:00)

#27 2008-10-07 13:46:26

I'm not a self-righteous vegetarian - hell, Thanksgiving's coming up (in Canada next weekend) and I'm not saying no to turkey-lurkey with huge amounts of cranberry (not too sweet, thanks) and gravy (don't over-brown that flour, I like it light) - but since I stopped eating meat I find myself almost gagging at the smell of bacon. That shit stinks, so I'll pass on the collards, Taint. However, if you have a good (non-meat) recipe for root veggies...maybe a stew...I'd be interested.

#28 2008-10-07 13:48:02

That was the recipe I ran in the food blog I write for a national newspaper chain. I quite like apple cider vinegar myself, and use it often, but in this case I really wanted the milder addition. But the smoked bacon sounds lovely, and I can easily imagine how nice an addition that would make. I made this particular batch for friends visiting from Italy; they were bowled over.

#29 2008-10-07 13:50:18

Here you go, Wilber. I needed a dish for Rosh Hoshanah:

2 butternut squashes, peeled and cut into 1” dice
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp olive oil
½  tbsp red wine vinegar
½  tsp cumin
½ tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cayenne
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup almonds, sliced and toasted
2 tbsp mint, cut into chiffonade

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

* In a small sauce pan, mix the honey, vinegar and spices together, and then whisk in the olive oil so that it emulsifies. Bring to a boil, and then remove from the heat and allow to cool until the mixture is comfortable to the touch.
    * In a large mixing bowl, pour the liquid over the cubes of squash, and then add salt and pepper to taste, tossing the squash cubes until they’re thoroughly coated with the liquid.
    * Spread on a baking sheet large enough - or two sheets - to accommodate the squash in a single layer and then bake for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until browned at the edges.
    * When the squash is done, sprinkle the almonds and mint over the vegetable and toss until all the ingredients are well distributed. Serve at room temperature.

#30 2008-10-07 13:52:44

I need to eat more of those winter squashes, the butternuts and acorns and such.  I like them when I have them, but I've never bothered to actually make any.

#31 2008-10-07 14:15:08

In the South of my youth all "squash" was yellow squash, which I hate.  Bitter yellow crap.

Then when I was an adult, I was introduced to butternut squash.  I love it.  Delicious and, once you get that horrible peel off, easy as hell to cook.

You guys're making me hungry, too.

#32 2008-10-07 14:17:00

AladdinSane wrote:

I wondered what that brown shit was on that Brit's teeth...

#33 2008-10-07 14:20:44

George Orr wrote:

sofaking wrote:

This is my M.O. as well--you spend roughly an hour chopping, sauteeing and preparing, another couple hours sitting on your ass enjoying a leisure activity while it simmers, you pack it up in meal-size containers and freeze it, and you have convenient future meals of excellence.

And that's the hard version.  Pesto takes minutes and freezes like a dream.

As for pasta:  pfft.  Pasta is flour paste in shapes.  Yes, the fresh stuff is slightly better, but the boxed stuff runs you about twenty cents per meal and is perfectly fine.

Yup.

And the funny thing is, I get comments from my kid's friends' mothers about how awesome the kids say I am. If they only knew that behind my bitchin' cooking lies an evil influence on their children.

#34 2008-10-07 14:32:04

I have to agree on dry vs. fresh pasta.  Fresh is definitely tastier and has a better texture, but it's such a pain in the ass.  Making fresh pasta is a good gimmick to have in the repertoire for if you're trying to impress, but the convenience of the dry pasta wins out 99.5% of the time.

#35 2008-10-07 14:32:24

Taint wrote:

Here you go, Wilber. I needed a dish for Rosh Hoshanah:

2 butternut squashes, peeled and cut into 1” dice
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp olive oil
½  tbsp red wine vinegar
½  tsp cumin
½ tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cayenne
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup almonds, sliced and toasted
2 tbsp mint, cut into chiffonade

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

* In a small sauce pan, mix the honey, vinegar and spices together, and then whisk in the olive oil so that it emulsifies. Bring to a boil, and then remove from the heat and allow to cool until the mixture is comfortable to the touch.
    * In a large mixing bowl, pour the liquid over the cubes of squash, and then add salt and pepper to taste, tossing the squash cubes until they’re thoroughly coated with the liquid.
    * Spread on a baking sheet large enough - or two sheets - to accommodate the squash in a single layer and then bake for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until browned at the edges.
    * When the squash is done, sprinkle the almonds and mint over the vegetable and toss until all the ingredients are well distributed. Serve at room temperature.

Thanks Taint!
Butternut is my favourite squash.
I'll make this tonight or tomorrow and report back.

#36 2008-10-07 14:56:35

Taint wrote:

2 bunches collards
6 slices bacon
1 large sweet onion (such as Vidalia)
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

* After washing the greens, cut out the tough spines of the leaves (You can do this easily by simply running a knife down both sides of the spine, separating it from the tender green part). Roll a few of the leaves at a time into tight cigars and then slicing vertically across the roll, cut them into strips about ¼” wide (This technique is called a chiffonade). Set aside.
    * Begin heating a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil.
    * Stacking the bacon slices, cut them across vertically into small pieces. Add the meat to the pan and begin to fry until bacon is crisp.
    * Slice the onion into two halves, and then cutting vertically into each half, slice the onion into ¼” julienne. When the bacon has sufficiently browned, drain off excess fat and add onion slices, cooking until translucent.
    * Mince the garlic, and add to the bacon and onion mixture along with the dried chili flakes.
    * Add the sliced collards and stir to thoroughly coat the greens with the fat in the pan. Cover the pan and allow the greens to cook over low heat, stirring occasionally. When the collards have reduced in volume and have turned bright green remove from heat and transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle the collards with the vinegar and serve.
    * Serves 4 to 6 persons as part of a multi-course meal.

That's way too much work...All my mother does is put in a piece of boiling meat (OK, hamhocks) into a pot of boiling water, have it cook for 2-3 hours, then drop in the greens for about maybe another 2-3 hours.  Nothing fancy...

Board footer

cruelery.com