#2 2008-11-21 13:28:58

Who expected him to turn all the bad shit around?  I just didn't want anyone in office who would make it worse.

#3 2008-11-21 13:34:11

I think the only people with unrealistic, messianic expectations are conservatives--that way, no matter what happens, Obama will be a disappointment. I just like him because he's thoughtful and an inspiring speaker (of complete sentences). So far, he's still on target.

#4 2008-11-21 19:51:36

I'm with headkick and aaah.  I don't expect him to bring us all ice cream in bed.  I do expect him to use his brains and the brains of other smart people to come up with well-thought-out and well-planned attempts to solve the shitload of problems known as "the Bush Legacy."

He hasn't had a chance to disappoint yet...not that I expect him to.

I'm still worried, but I'm not scared, and that is a blessing.

Ask me again around about January 31.

#5 2008-11-21 21:57:12

Like the others, I don’t expect Obama to make the problems caused by Bush to magically disappear the day he takes office.  George Bush worked very hard to rape and pillage our country, and frankly, no matter how talented Obama’s team and no matter how good their intentions, they have an impossible task ahead of them.  It may take decades to dig out from the mess left behind by the Republicans.

#6 2008-11-21 22:11:35

fnord wrote:

Like the others, I don’t expect Obama to make the problems caused by Bush to magically disappear the day he takes office.  George Bush worked very hard to rape and pillage our country, and frankly, no matter how talented Obama’s team and no matter how good their intentions, they have an impossible task ahead of them.  It may take decades to dig out from the mess left behind by the Republicans.

And they have to figure out their own rape/pillage system at the same time; this is almost impossible for any one team to do.  Shrubbery obtained such a high level of corruption it will be almost impossible to generate a substantial income stream until his fuckery is fixed.

#7 2008-11-22 23:02:28

I'm still getting a puppy though, right?  That's all that I ever expected.

#8 2008-11-22 23:16:34

Decadence wrote:

I'm still getting a puppy though, right?  That's all that I ever expected.

You gets a puppy, a check from the IRS, and a nice steady job repairing the infrastructure!  With health care!  Isn't that nice?

In my case, he can keep the puppy.  And even the check.  I need that fucking job.

#9 2008-11-22 23:24:32

It sounds as if you're the one set up for disappointment. I'm just hoping he doesn't make the current problems worse, and - even if he can't solve them in the next few years - at least stabilizes things enough that perhaps in the following administration (his or someone else's) we'll see a real turnaround.

Things suck right now, and it's only get to worse in the short term.

#10 2008-11-23 00:55:23

Predictably Rush is already calling this "the Obama Recession"

#11 2008-11-23 01:35:54

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think Obama was the lesser of the two evils we had to choose from this last election....  I think the guy has an opportunity to do some good as long as he stays MODERATE....  Obama's track record and several of his campaign promises are far from being moderate which scares the living shit out of me...  Due in part to several Republican fuckups the Democrats have successfully convinced millions of people that they are victims...  I myself refuse to put myself into the victim role no matter how bad things ever become...  I believe in personal responsibility rather than collective responsibility and believe that those that can't become successful or survive in a capitalistic society are losers rather than victims...

#12 2008-11-23 08:21:34

Emmeran wrote:

Predictably Rush is already calling this "the Obama Recession"

My mother too. She blamed everything in the first 7 1/2 years of Bush's term on Clinton; since the election, things that happen under his administration are Obama's fault. I think there's a five minute window, after polls close but before returns start coming in, where Bush is actually responsible for things that happen on his watch.

#13 2008-11-23 20:56:50

Dirckman wrote:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think Obama was the lesser of the two evils we had to choose from this last election....  I think the guy has an opportunity to do some good as long as he stays MODERATE....  Obama's track record and several of his campaign promises are far from being moderate which scares the living shit out of me...  Due in part to several Republican fuckups the Democrats have successfully convinced millions of people that they are victims...  I myself refuse to put myself into the victim role no matter how bad things ever become...  I believe in personal responsibility rather than collective responsibility and believe that those that can't become successful or survive in a capitalistic society are losers rather than victims...

Moderate?  Hell, I'm willing to go out on a limb and say we just elected a Democratic Conservative.  You watch him drift towards the center when he's in office.

#14 2008-11-23 22:26:07

I done tole y'all.  This isn't your father's Democratic party.

Hell, I remember some wag calling Clinton "the greatest Republican president of the century."

What else was there to do?  Can anyone, with a straight face, speak of Republican positions and policies for the last several decades as "conservative"?

Times have changed, and up is down, and ignorance is strength, and dogs and cats are living together, and the Dems aren't really lefties any more.  The Demoblabs moved so far to center that they overshot a smidge and landed a bit to the right, and the Repuglinants simply went stone fucking crazy, around about the mid-90s.

Last edited by George Orr (2008-11-23 22:27:48)

#15 2008-11-24 10:03:09

George Orr wrote:

The Demoblabs moved so far to center that they overshot a smidge and landed a bit to the right, and the Repuglinants simply went stone fucking crazy, around about the mid-90s.

Is stone crazy another way of saying evil?  Cheney qualifies, anyone who is/was up top at UP qualifies.

#16 2008-11-24 10:32:16

Mission accomplished, Scotty.  For a few minutes, people actually took you seriously. 

Obama has been given a flaming shitbag to deal with.  He can either get it all over his shoes or let the house burn down.  Or maybe both.

#17 2008-11-24 14:44:46

Fled wrote:

Mission accomplished, Scotty.  For a few minutes, people actually took you seriously. 

Obama has been given a flaming shitbag to deal with.  He can either get it all over his shoes or let the house burn down.  Or maybe both.

Recessions and depressions are fueled by fear and uncertainty.  Most economists believe the current downturn is due to lack of confidence that our economy to rebound and move forward.  The main reason Americans have lost confidence is because the Dems in Congress in collusion with the left wing press has been feeding us doom and gloom for eight years in an attempt to sway public opinion for this very election.  The problem is that they went too far.  Obama, his handlers, Congress and the media have successfully pulled down the economy and won the election.  Unfortunately for them, they now must deal with the flaming shitbag that has landed on their heads.

Last edited by phreddy (2008-11-24 14:46:47)

#18 2008-11-24 14:48:13

phreddy wrote:

Fled wrote:

Recessions and depressions are fueled by fear and uncertainty.  Most economists believe the current downturn is due to lack of confidence in our economy to rebound and move forward.  The main reason Americans have lost confidence is because the Dems in Congress in collusion with the left wing press has been feeding us doom and gloom for eight years in an attempt to sway public opinion for this very election.  The problem is that they went too far.  Obama, his handlers, Congress and the media have successfully pulled down the economy and won the election.  Unfortunately for them, they now must deal with the flaming shitbag.

That's a little simplistic, don't you think?  The Democrats didn't speculate the gasoline prices up to +$4.00 a gallon, nor did they make billions of dollars of sub-prime loans.

#19 2008-11-24 14:57:05

Baywolfe wrote:

That's a little simplistic, don't you think?  The Democrats didn't speculate the gasoline prices up to +$4.00 a gallon, nor did they make billions of dollars of sub-prime loans.

Don't forget who you're talking to.

#20 2008-11-24 14:59:12

Baywolfe wrote:

phreddy wrote:

Fled wrote:

Recessions and depressions are fueled by fear and uncertainty.  Most economists believe the current downturn is due to lack of confidence in our economy to rebound and move forward.  The main reason Americans have lost confidence is because the Dems in Congress in collusion with the left wing press has been feeding us doom and gloom for eight years in an attempt to sway public opinion for this very election.  The problem is that they went too far.  Obama, his handlers, Congress and the media have successfully pulled down the economy and won the election.  Unfortunately for them, they now must deal with the flaming shitbag.

Regardless of these glitches, if consumers felt confident about the future, we could have weathered oil prices and sub-prime loans.  When people lose faith, they stop spending and everything collapses.  Even when the stock market was at an all-time high and employment at an all-time low, the news media kept pounding in the message that people didn't feel good about their prospects.  It was relentless.

#21 2008-11-24 15:30:48

phreddy wrote:

Recessions and depressions are fueled by fear and uncertainty.  Most economists believe the current downturn is due to lack of confidence that our economy to rebound and move forward.  The main reason Americans have lost confidence is because the Dems in Congress in collusion with the left wing press has been feeding us doom and gloom for eight years in an attempt to sway public opinion for this very election.  The problem is that they went too far.  Obama, his handlers, Congress and the media have successfully pulled down the economy and won the election.  Unfortunately for them, they now must deal with the flaming shitbag that has landed on their heads.

You've signed on to the Limbaugh Nut Brigade, I see, and want to label this the "Obama Recession."  Keep working at it and you may even persuade yourselves.  No one else is buying this particular line of crap, however.  Your view has a weird similarity to Phil Gramm's.  He seems to think that the recession is really just a lot of whining.  You think it is caused by whining.  Both views ignore that the economic downturn is real and that it is caused by economic fundamentals like a grossly over-amped credit market recoiling once lenders realized how far out on a limb the economy had gone.

#22 2008-11-24 15:33:09

phreddy wrote:

Fled wrote:

Give me a fucking break. You sound batshit fucking insane.

#23 2008-11-24 15:36:54

phreddy wrote:

Regardless of these glitches, if consumers felt confident about the future, we could have weathered oil prices and sub-prime loans.  When people lose faith, they stop spending and everything collapses.  Even when the stock market was at an all-time high and employment at an all-time low, the news media kept pounding in the message that people didn't feel good about their prospects.  It was relentless.

People can't spend what they can't have.  I don't know if you've actually been on this planet for the last 8 years, but housing prices have more than doubled in many locations while incomes have remained stagnant.  You can't weather the subprime crisis (which is a misnomer because subprimes were only about 5-6% of the loan market...what's breaking the bank, so to speak, are the middle-class white people who "overextended" themselves) when you had no chance in hell of your income ever being able to catch up to your mortgage adjustment.

You need to leave northern California nutville and actually interact with the real world once in awhile.

#25 2008-11-24 16:12:31

Ah... whose been reading DR and thinking this was cutting edge?  FAIL.

#26 2008-11-24 16:12:41

You really can't be as stupid as you sound. The Limos were  built before Obama had even won the primary. Their design dictated by the secret service long before  a vote was cast, most of it no doubt before the presidency was but a glimmer in Obama's eye.

Even Michelle Malkin's peanut gallery have called her out on making them look like fools for running with this.

Well, who is surprised by this story about the “monster gas-guzzling” Obamamobile? Once a Drive as I Say-er, always a Drive as I Say-er:

If I just spoiled your wet dream Lad, just imagine how much fuel it takes to load his limo, its decoys plus an entire SS convoy into a C-5 B Galaxy, otherwise known by the Airforce as a FRED (fucking ridiculous enviormental/economic disastor), everytime he visits another state.

Last edited by Johnny_Rotten (2008-11-24 16:33:02)

#27 2008-11-24 16:33:00

Please, one of you lefties explain to me how an economic powerhouse like the US, that has vast resources and a stable government, can go from bullet proof strong to being in the shitter within a few months and the reason is something besides lack of confidence.  Nothing, including gold, has any monetary value unless people believe it does.  There is no such thing as a "real" recession.  It's all about consumer confidence or lack thereof.  The fucking Dems in Congress have spewed nothing but gloom.

#28 2008-11-24 16:36:38

phreddy wrote:

Please, one of you lefties explain to me how an economic powerhouse like the US, that has vast resources and a stable government, can go from bullet proof strong to being in the shitter within a few months and the reason is something besides lack of confidence.  Nothing, including gold, has any monetary value unless people believe it does.  There is no such thing as a "real" recession.  It's all about consumer confidence or lack thereof.  The fucking Dems in Congress have spewed nothing but gloom.

You forgot to click your heels three times.

#29 2008-11-24 16:55:44

phreddy wrote:

It did not take place over a few months.  This has been brewing for years.  I've been talking about the inevitable collapse since at least 2004.  Greenspan fucked up with the low interest rates; every yahoo with internet access thought he was a day-trader inflating stock prices artificially; the housing "bubble" started around 2001 and just recently burst when the loans all started to reset.  And did you forget we are spending $12 billion a month in Iraq with no exit strategy?  That is not the sign of a stable government. Really, have you been in a coma for the last 8 years?  And again, incomes have not risen.  People took all the equity out of their homes and bought cars and other shit that they didn't need because they thought housing prices would continue to rise. 

Phreddy, you're better than this.

#30 2008-11-24 17:04:07

headkicker_girl wrote:

phreddy wrote:

It did not take place over a few months.  This has been brewing for years.  I've been talking about the inevitable collapse since at least 2004.  Greenspan fucked up with the low interest rates; every yahoo with internet access thought he was a day-trader inflating stock prices artificially; the housing "bubble" started around 2001 and just recently burst when the loans all started to reset.  And did you forget we are spending $12 billion a month in Iraq with no exit strategy?  That is not the sign of a stable government. Really, have you been in a coma for the last 8 years?  And again, incomes have not risen.  People took all the equity out of their homes and bought cars and other shit that they didn't need because they thought housing prices would continue to rise. 

Phreddy, you're better than this.

No, he really isn't.

#31 2008-11-24 17:18:58

As HKG points out that by 2004 it was plain to see were the risks and weaknesses were in the economy. I am no economic adept, but I watched closely the moves to stave off the dot com fallout recession and started discussing to my partners in mid 2002 the risky stake the fed was making in the real estate and credit markets and the exposure it presented.

Last edited by Johnny_Rotten (2008-11-30 03:42:10)

#32 2008-11-24 17:37:38

You're kidding, right? You're fucking kidding me, right? Obama switching to an unusable hybrid armored vehicle to fix climate change is like Bush trying to win the War on Terror by becoming an orange belt in karate.

"We can't solve global warming because I fucking changed light bulbs in my house. It's because of something collective" - Barack Obama

Somebody--anybody--explain to me the thinking (I deign to call it logic) behind the idea that because Al Gore flies on a plane, then climate change doesn't exist.

#33 2008-11-24 18:46:30

ah297900 wrote:

Somebody--anybody--explain to me the thinking (I deign to call it logic) behind the idea that because Al Gore flies on a plane, then climate change doesn't exist.

Al can consume all the carbon he wants so long as he doesn't ask me to cut back in order to save the world because of his fanciful notion that human activity is the primary cause of global warming.

#34 2008-11-24 18:57:10

Headkicker wrote:

Greenspan fucked up with the low interest rates; every yahoo with internet access thought he was a day-trader inflating stock prices artificially; the housing "bubble" started around 2001 and just recently burst when the loans all started to reset.  And did you forget we are spending $12 billion a month in Iraq with no exit strategy?  That is not the sign of a stable government.

Thank you for making my point.  This is right out of the Democrat/media handbook for seeding the mindset of economic failure.  We could have easily absorbed all of these events, including the war and the housing downturn with a short recession for adjustment.  But people are now so afraid that they refuse to buy anything, leading to the collapse of otherwise strong companies.  This is the direct result of fear mongering.

#35 2008-11-24 19:07:48

phreddy wrote:

Headkicker wrote:

Greenspan fucked up with the low interest rates; every yahoo with internet access thought he was a day-trader inflating stock prices artificially; the housing "bubble" started around 2001 and just recently burst when the loans all started to reset.  And did you forget we are spending $12 billion a month in Iraq with no exit strategy?  That is not the sign of a stable government.

Thank you for making my point.  This is right out of the Democrat/media handbook for seeding the mindset of economic failure.  We could have easily absorbed all of these events, including the war and the housing downturn with a short recession for adjustment.  But people are now so afraid that they refuse to buy anything, leading to the collapse of otherwise strong companies.  This is the direct result of fear mongering.

Sorry phreddy, sometimes a house of cards really cannot stand being builkt any higher.

There is something to what you say about confidence but you are constructing your whole temple  of thought and partisan blame upon it. I thought conservatives were all about taking accountability where accountability is due.

#36 2008-11-24 19:10:59

you are talking with Phwedd here.. Johnny: "taking accountability where accountability is due."  is not in his lexicon.

#37 2008-11-24 19:21:31

phreddy wrote:

Headkicker wrote:

Ok, since you have the answer, explain how people can keep spending when they have no money.

#38 2008-11-24 19:25:10

Dmtdust wrote:

you are talking with Phwedd here.. Johnny: "taking accountability where accountability is due."  is not in his lexicon.

Actually, I am all about taking responsibility and accountability.  I didn't say the war, oil speculation, the housing crunch, etc were not major drags on the economy, because they are.  But these things come and go and we very seldom suffer a major stock market crash.  The market, and the world economy for that matter, are built just like a house of cards.  So long as everyone "believes" it continues to live and grow.  If people start buying into the notion that it will fall, then it does.  The Democrats have done their best to successfully sell that notion.  All I'm saying is that they now must deal with the results of their campaign.  In other words Dusty, "take some accountability where accountability is due".

#39 2008-11-24 19:35:15

Well you have me there Phred. If only people had continued to believe that start up tech companies trading at prices >300 times earnings and their blue chip brethren trading at 50 to 100 times earnings where still worth it our government would never had to bet the whole economic house on mortgages, unbounded credit speculation and inflated real estate.

#40 2008-11-24 19:35:15

headkicker_girl wrote:

phreddy wrote:

Headkicker wrote:

Ok, since you have the answer, explain how people can keep spending when they have no money.

If you listen to the news, you would think this was true (that people have no money).  When, in reality, 94% of the people in this country still have their jobs, yet they're not taking vacations, not buying Christmas presents, not buying cars, etc.  And what about government?  If spending 100 billion a year on a foreign war broke us, how can we come up with another $700 billion in bail outs?  If government spending is the problem, then why is Obama and Congress proposing yet another $ trillion in bail outs? Because if over-spending put us in this hole, then logic says we should stop digging.

#41 2008-11-24 19:42:42

phreddy wrote:

If you listen to the news, you would think this was true (that people have no money).  When, in reality, 94% of the people in this country still have their jobs, yet they're not taking vacations, not buying Christmas presents, not buying cars, etc.  And what about government?  If spending 100 billion a year on a foreign war broke us, how can we come up with another $700 billion in bail outs?  If government spending is the problem, then why is Obama and Congress proposing yet another $ trillion in bail outs? Because if over-spending put us in this hole, then logic says we should stop digging.

What Phweddski said.  I am in agreement with you on this.  People not spending is getting in the way of my cash flow right now.....

#42 2008-11-24 19:44:33

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

Well you have me there Phred. If only people had continued to believe that start up tech companies trading at prices >300 times earnings and their blue chip brethren trading at 50 to 100 times earnings where still worth it our government would never had to bet the whole economic house on mortgages, unbounded credit speculation and inflated real estate.

Normal adjustments in market prices take care of the examples you cited.  There was no reason for a worldwide collapse of the financial markets.  No reason for everyone to pull in their horns all at once and refuse to take any risks.  No reason except fear.  And where did that fear come from?  Their stock brokers, their neighbors, their governments?  No, it came from a steady news media drumbeat.

#43 2008-11-24 19:47:07

Interesting debate, but I gotta go home now.  Chew on it and I'll come back to argue tomorrow.

#44 2008-11-24 19:47:20

phreddy wrote:

The 94% is deceptive.  The statistics don't count those who are underemployed or not looking.  Also, where's the evidence that suggests that people have money and the just aren't spending? People have been living paycheck to paycheck for years.  They've taken all the equity out of their homes, and the average raise for the past 10 years has been 2-3% per year.  I'm not seeing where all this money hoarding is taking place.  Maybe the top 5% need to spend more, but most people in suburbia are struggling to hold on to their suburban dream.

#46 2008-11-24 22:57:55

My dear Scotty, would you have prefered Senator Senile and his trusty (sometimes) sidekick, Governor "What the Hell is Africa?"

#47 2008-11-24 23:18:50

feisty wrote:

My dear Scotty, would you have prefered Senator Senile and his trusty (sometimes) sidekick, Governor "What the Hell is Africa?"

Yes, our favourite bone crackin' cracker would of preferred that over a mulatto and and irish-catholic train wreck.  Just Sayin'...

#48 2008-11-24 23:51:31

Dmtdust wrote:

feisty wrote:

Yes, our favourite bone crackin' cracker would of preferred that over a mulatto and and irish-catholic train wreck.  Just Sayin'...

Just goes to show that having wads of cash will do one of two things:  1)  Fill you with "liberal guilt;" or 2)  Make you a stingy, money obsessed scrooge willing to vote someone into the most important office in the land who is incapable of discerning the difference between a country and a continent.

No offense, Scotty my dear.  You know I love you.

#49 2008-11-24 23:59:57

feisty wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

feisty wrote:

Just goes to show that having wads of cash will do one of two things:  1)  Fill you with "liberal guilt;" or 2)  Make you a stingy, money obsessed scrooge willing to vote someone into the most important office in the land who is incapable of discerning the difference between a country and a continent.

Thank you Feisty, that's one of the wisest things I've seen posted here on High Street....  Somehow the American people have to learn to stop listening to the extremely vocal douchebags on both the left and the right.....  I doubt I live to see the day that ever happens, but I've always been an optimist....

#50 2008-11-25 00:11:12

Dirckman wrote:

feisty wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

Thank you Feisty, that's one of the wisest things I've seen posted here on High Street....  Somehow the American people have to learn to stop listening to the extremely vocal douchebags on both the left and the right.....  I doubt I live to see the day that ever happens, but I've always been an optimist....

Keep dreamin', sugar.  God hates perfect societies.  Look what he did to Atlantis.

Board footer

cruelery.com