#51 2008-12-13 23:48:01

Zookeeper wrote:

fnord wrote:

If the boards elected by the shareholders weren’t focused on reducing the workers to a subsistence level of compensation, these fights to the death wouldn’t occur.

Why is it that it's OK for consumers to always look for the best deal on the commodities they buy but if an employer applies the same principal when looking for employees they are evil?

Because it destroys the community silly.  So... when the boss comes in, and tells you the new immigrant will work for 1/2-1/3 of what you do, you'll race to the bottom to please Massa?

#52 2008-12-14 00:03:34

If capital has the right to cross borders looking for the best deals, labor should be afforded the same right.

#53 2008-12-14 00:19:34

Zookeeper wrote:

fnord wrote:

If the boards elected by the shareholders weren’t focused on reducing the workers to a subsistence level of compensation, these fights to the death wouldn’t occur.

Why is it that it's OK for consumers to always look for the best deal on the commodities they buy but if an employer applies the same principal when looking for employees they are evil?

Not so much evil as retarded. Mistreated workers pose many hazards. Theft, crappy morale, safety hazards (from doing a crappy job), poor attendance due to untreated illnesses, disgruntled employee rampages, etc.....

It's bad for the bottom line to not treat the people making you money like human beings that deserve to earn a minimal standard of living. It costs SO FUCKING MUCH to find and train good employees, it doesn't make sense to treat them like disposable garbage. High turnover rates can cripple productivity and lose you business.

But most high-level management and board members of huge corporations could really give two shits about these issues, because they're getting theirs regardless of the bottom line. Smaller businesses like mine can't avoid considering these things, because we have no open line of government credit and can't fill the gaping holes with other people's money.

Last edited by sofaking (2008-12-14 00:20:47)

#54 2008-12-14 00:29:44

Dmtdust wrote:

Zookeeper wrote:

fnord wrote:

Because it destroys the community silly.  So... when the boss comes in, and tells you the new immigrant will work for 1/2-1/3 of what you do, you'll race to the bottom to please Massa?

You say that in jest, but basically this is the issue.  Corporations no longer have any loyalty to their employees; the result is the employees don’t give a shit about the quality of their work.  By moving jobs overseas, the loss of jobs results in unemployment and a lower standard of living for those who do manage to find lower paying replacement jobs.

Using illegal aliens as slaves brings its own host of problems.  The cost of this slavery is foisted off on the community in the form of overburdened schools and hospitals, higher crime rates, and law enforcement costs.  The net result has been a decrease in social stability during my lifetime.  It’s easy to see if you open your eyes.  The slow but steady erosion of community has sped up recently as the system is collapsing from this abuse.

A large middle class is the buffer between the rich and the riffraff.  Now that large numbers of educated people are becoming poor, the rich need to watch their necks because major social disturbances are about to occur.

Last edited by fnord (2008-12-14 00:30:41)

#55 2008-12-14 00:37:13

Zookeeper wrote:

fnord wrote:

By that logic, I should only pay whatever price I feel like paying for a product, despite its quality, because that's the best deal for me.

#57 2008-12-14 01:53:32

DMTDust wrote:

So you hate immigrants, is that it?  Seriously, I'll have to find another line of work if an unskilled immigrant can do as good a job or better for less.  That's the way the world works - same as if you can do a better job than me for less. 

orangeplus wrote:

If capital has the right to cross borders looking for the best deals, labor should be afforded the same right.

Capital has "rights"?

sofaking wrote:

Not so much evil as retarded. Mistreated workers pose many hazards. Theft, crappy morale, safety hazards (from doing a crappy job), poor attendance due to untreated illnesses, disgruntled employee rampages, etc.....

Yep.  Companies can make retarded decisions and suffer the consequences. 

sofaking wrote:

But most high-level management and board members of huge corporations could really give two shits about these issues, because they're getting theirs regardless of the bottom line.

And the companies suffer the consequences and/or workers can organize and/or go work for someone smarter like you.

fnord wrote:

Corporations no longer have any loyalty to their employees.

So?  What loyalty are you willing to demand of employees for corporations?  An employee can quit any time for any reason with zero notice no matter how badly it screws their employer or former coworkers.  They can do it in the middle of their work shift if they want.  They can do it in the middle of an important and expensive project and really screw over their employer (I've seen it more than once).   Do you give a shit about that?

Taint wrote:

By that logic, I should only pay whatever price I feel like paying for a product, despite its quality, because that's the best deal for me.

Well, sure if the person selling it will take the offer.  If you really want to be a stupid consumer and buy shit knock yourself out.  Will that make you an "evil" consumer somehow?  When I said "best deal" I wasn't suggesting that means a shitty worker.  That would be a "bad deal" for the employer.  But if employers really want to make bad deals for themselves by employing shitty workers let 'em.

sofa wrote:

(Funny YouTube vid)

Damn it!  I specifically logged back on tonight to post that very same video!

#58 2008-12-14 01:54:06

fnord wrote:

You say that in jest, but basically this is the issue.

I wasn't jesting, I was trying not to lose it on someone I like, that's all.  I may be a business owner, but I have a strong background rooted in workers rights and unionism.  Some of my family were murdered for organizing back in the early 20th century, and one should never forget what life was like before the unions.  Woe to those who don't know the depths that big business will go toooooo.

#59 2008-12-14 02:00:05

Zookeeper wrote:

DMTDust wrote:

So you hate immigrants, is that it?  Seriously, I'll have to find another line of work if an unskilled immigrant can do as good a job or better for less.  That's the way the world works - same as if you can do a better job than me for less. 

orangeplus wrote:

Capital has "rights"?

sofaking wrote:

sofaking wrote:

But most high-level management and board members of huge corporations could really give two shits about these issues, because they're getting theirs regardless of the bottom line.

And the companies suffer the consequences and/or workers can organize and/or go work for someone smarter like you.

fnord wrote:

So?  What loyalty are you willing to demand of employees for corporations?  An employee can quit any time for any reason with zero notice no matter how badly it screws their employer or former coworkers.  They can do it in the middle of their work shift if they want.  They can do it in the middle of an important and expensive project and really screw over their employer (I've seen it more than once).   Do you give a shit about that?

Taint wrote:

Well, sure if the person selling it will take the offer.  If you really want to be a stupid consumer and buy shit knock yourself out.  Will that make you an "evil" consumer somehow?  When I said "best deal" I wasn't suggesting that means a shitty worker.  That would be a "bad deal" for the employer.  But if employers really want to make bad deals for themselves by employing shitty workers let 'em.

Wow, Zookie. I'd respond to these individually but as a whole it's so full of contradictions, it would be pointless. You're an even bigger tool than Ptah.

#60 2008-12-14 02:04:54

Collective bargaining isn't a way to circumvent market forces, it's a way of keeping employers from using the fact that employees don't have knowledge of each other's salaries to convince people to charge less for their labor than the market will bear.   Employers best interest is in reducing the cost of labor (as mentioned by others, there is more than money to consider), and employees' best interest is in maximizing their pay.  Collective bargaining puts the two opposing forces on a more equal footing to negotiate these terms.

#61 2008-12-14 14:24:03

Taint wrote:

Zookeeper wrote:

DMTDust wrote:

orangeplus wrote:

Capital has "rights"?

sofaking wrote:

sofaking wrote:

fnord wrote:

Taint wrote:

Wow, Zookie. I'd respond to these individually but as a whole it's so full of contradictions, it would be pointless. You're an even bigger tool than Ptah.

Way to phone it in there Taint.  You can't be troubled to state how exactly anything I said was wrong (that would actually take some thought on your part) so you just engage in name-calling.  After all, only a tool would hold a different view than yours.

#62 2008-12-14 15:03:11

So do you own a company, or are you employed by anyone?  just askin'

#63 2008-12-14 15:04:54

Zookeeper wrote:

[

orangeplus wrote:

Capital has "rights"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_personhood

why yes, yes it does.

#64 2008-12-14 22:32:01

Dmtdust wrote:

I'm a sole proprietor - I run a small software business.  Before that I worked in cubicles for 9 years coding for corporate America.  The 13 years before that I worked in various jobs such as working in a mail room, cooking & busing tables in restaurants, keeping insurance rates down for companies (in other words I was a night security guard).  I've also worked fast food and worked on a truck loading dock.  Just answerin'

#65 2008-12-14 22:40:50

orangeplus wrote:

Zookeeper wrote:

[

orangeplus wrote:

Capital has "rights"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_personhood

why yes, yes it does.

Why no, no it doesn't.  Try looking up the definitions of capital.  "Capital" ≠ "Corparation".

#66 2008-12-14 23:24:57

Zookeeper wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

I'm a sole proprietor - I run a small software business.  Before that I worked in cubicles for 9 years coding for corporate America.  The 13 years before that I worked in various jobs such as working in a mail room, cooking & busing tables in restaurants, keeping insurance rates down for companies (in other words I was a night security guard).  I've also worked fast food and worked on a truck loading dock.  Just answerin'

Well, I have run small businesses off and on since the 70's.  I spent time in 2 corporations, during the mid 80's and then in the early 90's.  I love the model that I inhabit business wise.  Still, when I do employ people, I pay top dollar.  I train, and I encourage them to open their own business so they are beholden to no one, even me. 

As a small business owner, I don't understand how you can side with the large corporations that absolutely hate and loathe you, let alone those who organize to protect themselves and the greater community.

We are in this together, locally, right?  Why would you side with multi-nationals that woudl prefer you and their workers crushed?

Just respondin'

#67 2008-12-14 23:37:39

Because he's continuing the tradition of Americans who will happily see others - including themselves - screwed over in the belief that they might, someday, too be fabulously wealthy and will want to make sure they don't have to be accountable to anyone for it.

#68 2008-12-15 00:02:48

Stockholm Syndrome.

I suggest he reads: "The Sheep Look Up"

#69 2008-12-15 00:20:52

Dmtdust wrote:

Zookeeper wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

Well, I have run small businesses off and on since the 70's.  I spent time in 2 corporations, during the mid 80's and then in the early 90's.  I love the model that I inhabit business wise.  Still, when I do employ people, I pay top dollar.  I train, and I encourage them to open their own business so they are beholden to no one, even me.

Good for you.  Really.  What's your problem with what I said?  Did I say you shouldn't be doing that? 

Dmtdust wrote:

As a small business owner, I don't understand how you can side with the large corporations that absolutely hate and loathe you, let alone those who organize to protect themselves and the greater community.

I'm "siding" with them by saying they aren't evil for wanting to get the best deal possible when looking for talent?  As for them "hating and loathing me", what have those bastards been saying about me behind my back?  I had no idea!

Dmtdust wrote:

We are in this together, locally, right?  Why would you side with multi-nationals that woudl prefer you and their workers crushed?

Yes, of course.  They all think that their best interests lie in "crushing" their workers.  You understand it all so well.  I'm a one-man operation.  If the evil multi-billion dollar corporations really wanted to crush me I'd have been a red smear on the ground long ago. 

As it stands I made a pretty good living working for a couple of them.  They paid me in accordance with what the market indicated for my profession and took into account my talent and contributions.  The last one I worked for laid me off after almost seven years.  And what did I get in return for those seven years?  Well, let's see: a decent income for seven years.  Plus health benefits.  Plus paid vacations.  Plus a 401k.  Plus six week's pay (severance pay) for which I wasn't expected to give them anything in return.  Oh, and of course they paid the unemployment compensation that the government mandates.  Lots of people would look at that and call them heartless bastards.  I look back and call them an employer who paid me for my work.  That's pretty much what employers are supposed to do.  They aren't our parents.  They aren't our social workers.  They aren't our guardian angels.  They are our employers.  All they owe us is the going rate for the services we provide them.  A radical view, I know.

#70 2008-12-15 00:24:01

Taint wrote:

Because he's continuing the tradition of Americans who will happily see others - including themselves - screwed over in the belief that they might, someday, too be fabulously wealthy and will want to make sure they don't have to be accountable to anyone for it.

Since you seem to have some magical insight into how I've personally been screwed over by the evil bogey-man "Corporate America" please elaborate.  Tell me exactly how I've been screwed over.

#71 2008-12-15 00:24:32

You operate in a niche unknown to most people, bub.

#72 2008-12-15 00:53:41

Dmtdust wrote:

You didn't say that "most people" wanted to crush me.  You said the multi-nationals did.  Do they or don't they?  They don't because I'm in a small niche?  I have competitors that are much larger than I am and it wouldn't surprise me if they were in turn owned by multi-nationals.  So far nobody's tried to "crush" me.

Anyway, remember what my comment was that started this Marxist pile-on?  "Why is it that it's OK for consumers to always look for the best deal on the commodities they buy but if an employer applies the same principal when looking for employees they are evil?"  Apparently the reason it's evil for an employer to want to get the best deal when hiring an employee is because giant multi-national corporations want to crush us all.

#73 2008-12-15 00:55:12

Zookeeper wrote:

As it stands I made a pretty good living working for a couple of them.  They paid me in accordance with what the market indicated for my profession and took into account my talent and contributions.  The last one I worked for laid me off after almost seven years.  And what did I get in return for those seven years?  Well, let's see: a decent income for seven years.  Plus health benefits.  Plus paid vacations.  Plus a 401k.  Plus six week's pay (severance pay) for which I wasn't expected to give them anything in return.  Oh, and of course they paid the unemployment compensation that the government mandates.  Lots of people would look at that and call them heartless bastards.  I look back and call them an employer who paid me for my work.  That's pretty much what employers are supposed to do.  They aren't our parents.  They aren't our social workers.  They aren't our guardian angels.  They are our employers.  All they owe us is the going rate for the services we provide them.  A radical view, I know.

They don't sound like bastards.  They sound like a decent company to work for.  It would be extremely naive, however, to make policy decisions based on the assumption that everyone is treated so well.

#74 2008-12-15 01:00:54

Zookeeper wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

You didn't say that "most people" wanted to crush me.  You said the multi-nationals did.  Do they or don't they?  They don't because I'm in a small niche?  I have competitors that are much larger than I am and it wouldn't surprise me if they were in turn owned by multi-nationals.  So far nobody's tried to "crush" me.

Anyway, remember what my comment was that started this Marxist pile-on?  "Why is it that it's OK for consumers to always look for the best deal on the commodities they buy but if an employer applies the same principal when looking for employees they are evil?"  Apparently the reason it's evil for an employer to want to get the best deal when hiring an employee is because giant multi-national corporations want to crush us all.

"crush us all" may be hyperbolic, but there are definitely giant multinational corporations who oh God it's that animated gif with the fat guy chewing on that kid's shirt...where was I?\

#75 2008-12-15 01:23:59

Case in point.  I was brought in to a redesign team to help facilitate the stream lining of a Mortgage Divisions Business.  With mine and others efforts, we took their flow from 189 steps to some 97.  This of course pleased all of the upper management, who promptly sold off the division, making millions off of it in bonus, and fucked 3000 some employees in the process.  In 60 days after the sales, people who'd been with the organization for 30 years doing honest good work, had their benefits taken, their retirement raped, and for what, the benefit of a few in upper management?

And you wonder why I don't trust the mother fuckers?  Nigga, Please.

#77 2008-12-15 01:42:49

Zookeeper wrote:

Taint wrote:

Since you seem to have some magical insight into how I've personally been screwed over by the evil bogey-man "Corporate America" please elaborate.  Tell me exactly how I've been screwed over.

I didn't say that - what I did do, however, was accuse you of happily siding with big business in the belief that you will benefit from their largesse despite the rampant greed and mismanagement much of corporate America has continually displayed, and your apparent belief that they would never, ever screw you over if they saw an opportunity to make a buck from it.  I have worked for some very good corporations; I have also sued a multinational company over unlawful dismissal due to health issues. We settled. That same year, they were sued by many other former employees over sexual harassment and discrimination.

I am fortunate to work now for a small business owner who is bending over backward to help his employees weather the current economic malaise while still taking good stock of his own financial needs. My boss seems to have the weird idea that if we all - including he - make some sacrifices, we'll come through intact.

I don't believe you base your political affiliations on anything other than your own immediate perceptions and are, as a result, naive.

I never said you'd been screwed over.

#78 2008-12-15 12:12:17

tojo2000 wrote:

They don't sound like bastards.  They sound like a decent company to work for.  It would be extremely naive, however, to make policy decisions based on the assumption that everyone is treated so well.

Just as it would be wrong to make the assumption that every corporation that seeks the best deal possible when hiring is somehow evil for doing so.

Dmtdust wrote:

Case in point.  I was brought in to a redesign team to help facilitate the stream lining of a Mortgage Divisions Business.  With mine and others efforts, we took their flow from 189 steps to some 97.  This of course pleased all of the upper management, who promptly sold off the division, making millions off of it in bonus, and fucked 3000 some employees in the process.

Are you saying they had no right to sell off the division?  Are you saying they should have been somehow prevented from doing so?  Or are you saying that they were evil to sell off their division without contractually ensuring that the buyer not let anybody go? 

Dmtdust wrote:

In 60 days after the sales, people who'd been with the organization for 30 years doing honest good work, had their benefits taken, their retirement raped, and for what, the benefit of a few in upper management?

"Taken"?  Are you saying that benefits somehow belong to the employee and that the employer has no right therefore to terminate them?  How did they "rape" their unemployment?  If they took away employee retirement funds that had been accrued and unconditionally promised to the employees then I'm with you on calling them bastards.

For "the benefit of a few in upper management"?  Was this a privately held company or a publicly traded one?  If publicly traded they have stock holders.  Or do you really mean that a small number of high-level managers got all the money from the sale?  Usually when assets are sold it's the owners of the assets that get the lion's share of the proceeds, not just "management".

As for the people who had been with the orgainization for 30 years doing honest good work, guess what they got for their honest good work.  They got paid for 30 years.  Added up I imagine that's a pretty tidy sum.  Why, I would wager that most if not all of them were working there by choice and that if they stuck around for 30 years they probably thought the pay was worth the work.  What exactly do you think an employer "owes" an employee for the work they perform?  When an employee leaves an employer the employee isn't expected to do anything for their employer after quitting.  Yet it seems some folks here feel that an employer is supposed to continue doing things for the employee after they have let them go.  Or that they should not let an employee go at all since, after all, that creates a hardship for the former employee and it's an employer's responsibility to take care of their workers and keep them on even when an opportunity for a huge gain presents itself.  After all, businesses aren't supposed to be in business to make large profits.  They are supposed to be in business to make modest profits and look out for their employees.   Or perhaps you are saying that a company should never sell off a division no matter how much profit doing so would yield it.

Taint wrote:

I didn't say that - what I did do, however, was accuse you of happily siding with big business in the belief that you will benefit from their largesse despite the rampant greed and mismanagement much of corporate America has continually displayed, and your apparent belief that they would never, ever screw you over if they saw an opportunity to make a buck from it.

Oh, is THAT what I did when I asked "Why is it that it's OK for consumers to always look for the best deal on the commodities they buy but if an employer applies the same principal when looking for employees they are evil?".  OK, I understand how you would have gotten that from what I said.  It was all between the words.

Taint wrote:

I don't believe you base your political affiliations on anything other than your own immediate perceptions and are, as a result, naive.

Given that your examples are all about what has happened in your life the same accusation could be made about the basis for your political affiliations. 

I'm not naive Taint.  I've worked for some real assholes and I've worked for some decent folks too.  I've been screwed by an employer before and had to make choices about whether it was worth it to take legal action, quit and find something else or just let it go and be smarter the next time.  Don't assume that just because I don't hold to your views that somehow means I must have lived a sainted life and never had to deal with a bad employer.  Believe it or not reasonable and informed people really can disagree with you.  But if it makes you feel warmer and more self-assured you can dismiss them as "naive" I suppose.

Taint wrote:

I never said you'd been screwed over.

No, you said I was "continuing the tradition of Americans who will happily see others - including themselves - screwed over in the belief that they might, someday, too be fabulously wealthy and will want to make sure they don't have to be accountable to anyone for it."  So I guess that technically you never said I'd actually been screwed over.  You just said that I happily see myself and others screwed over.  My mistake.

#79 2008-12-15 12:24:36

Give it up, Zoo. Some folks feel they are "owed" a living and you'll never change that. It's like the video of the lady at the Dem convention celeberating the nomination of Obama by saying, "now we won't have to pay for or mortgage or cars anymore!". This is what "liberal" has come to mean, "give me something for free because you can afford it!". 

You'll never change class-envy and you'll never change the welfare mentality of these people. In their world, all businesses are some charity tool meant to serve the poor.

#80 2008-12-15 12:29:30

Cranky wrote:

Notice, he mentions 31 republicans.... He fails to mention 27 Democrats, doesn't he? So, it's ok for Dems to vote against the bailout?

Solly, Ptui, it was just 10 dems who were chicken, while 40 voted for it, plus two independents and 10 repubs.  You are a moron, even if articulate.  Even if the automobile industry is fucked, at least it actually produces something, so real goods. Wall Street makes nothing but paper instruments.  The country is fucked because, having drunk the koolade, the experts all seem to think it is okay if nothing is actually made in the US.  It's enough if we just assemble for others and then scratch each others' asses in a "service economy[/i].  Quite a fucking daisy-chain.  We have bought a load of crap.  Now it is burning at our front door and we are going to rush outside and stomp on it in a panic instead of doing something smart, like support an industry the employees, directly and indirectly, more than 3 million consumers.  People who will spend everything they earn and help goose the economy for everyone. 

Real people build cars.  It is fucking easy to tell them they need to accept a 20% pay cut like that Cork-fucker.  What bullshit.  You are a moron to buy into the line that it is the workers who must pay.

I think EVERYONE should take a pay cut in the auto industry, including the overpaid workers. I know guys who work, in America, for Japanese car makers and are happy as hell with their pay and benefits....

Any clue what the president of the UAW makes? He should get a substantial pay-cut as well.

In my experience, most unions suck and create more problems than they solve. I've been a union steward and seen first hand how the union will rape it's own membership to reward it's officers...

#81 2008-12-15 12:31:19

tojo2000 wrote:

AladdinSane wrote:

Let me know when you find a liberal who understands the concept of supply and demand...

This must be said: the U.S. automakers understood the truck and SUV audience; they cleaned the Japanese automakers' clock in that segment.  It's just in the passenger car department where they sucked.

Most of the conservatives I've met seem think that you can somehow manufacture demand by creating supply.

I knew it wouldn't be long before he broke out the old, "I know you are, but what am I" defense.

#82 2008-12-15 12:40:22

Dmtdust wrote:

fnord wrote:

You say that in jest, but basically this is the issue.

I wasn't jesting, I was trying not to lose it on someone I like, that's all.  I may be a business owner, but I have a strong background rooted in workers rights and unionism.  Some of my family were murdered for organizing back in the early 20th century, and one should never forget what life was like before the unions.  Woe to those who don't know the depths that big business will go toooooo.

What was happening back at the begging of the century and now are two different things.

We have LAWS, now, that cover 90% of what unions were founded for in the first place.

Replace those noble, heroic union founders with the scandalous crooks the run unions today and you can't even make a comparison. Saying, "I'm pro union" because of what was going on, before the laws, is silly, at best.

Again, I've worked in union shops, been a union steward, hell, my best friend on earth was a union local president for 12 years...  and what I learned was that unions, for the most part, cause way more grief than they solve.

#83 2008-12-15 12:44:30

Zookeeper wrote:

Taint wrote:

Zookeeper wrote:

DMTDust wrote:

orangeplus wrote:

Capital has "rights"?

sofaking wrote:

sofaking wrote:

Way to phone it in there Taint.  You can't be troubled to state how exactly anything I said was wrong (that would actually take some thought on your part) so you just engage in name-calling.  After all, only a tool would hold a different view than yours.

Welcome to my world.

These people will regurgitate whatever moronic catch-phrases they remember being told by "sumbody smart", until they run out. They can't think on their own so it eventually all deteriorates to, "yer as dumb as patooeey".

Consider it the highest form of flattery, being compared to me. I guess I'm the benchmark for "someone smarter than the mindless socialist cocktards of High Street".

God bless 'merica!

Last edited by ptah13 (2008-12-15 12:45:11)

#84 2008-12-15 13:14:44

ptah13 wrote:

Consider it the highest form of flattery, being compared to me. I guess I'm the benchmark for "someone smarter than the mindless socialist cocktards of High Street".

Well, to be fair ptah, you are the only one here who had a chance at hitting the fabled PuckStar® and you blew the opportunity.  How smart can you be?

#85 2008-12-15 13:31:38

Zookeeper wrote:

ptah13 wrote:

Well, to be fair ptah, you are the only one here who had a chance at hitting the fabled PuckStar® and you blew the opportunity.  How smart can you be?

How do you know he didn't?  Maybe he's just being a gentleman about it and Smitty is covering her ass (so to speak).

#86 2008-12-15 13:45:08

phreddy wrote:

Zookeeper wrote:

ptah13 wrote:

How do you know he didn't?  Maybe he's just being a gentleman about it and Smitty is covering her ass (so to speak).

As I recall he didn't decline to comment (the response of a gentleman).  He specifically said he didn't manage to grab the gold ring.

#87 2008-12-15 13:54:16

Zookeeper wrote:

phreddy wrote:

Zookeeper wrote:

As I recall he didn't decline to comment (the response of a gentleman).  He specifically said he didn't manage to grab the gold ring.

Yes, well, perhaps "gentleman" was too strong a word.  And as for the famed puckerstar, I suppose I fell into a short fantasy for a moment there.

#88 2008-12-16 03:14:40

Zookeeper wrote:

DMTDust wrote:

orangeplus wrote:

Capital has "rights"?

sofaking wrote:

sofaking wrote:

Forget about loyalty. The problem with employees is that they have been sold a bill of goods and do not realize how much better their oppertunities would be if we could scrap all their entitlements. They are holding us all back with their cries of more, more, more.

Based on their comprehensive reading of the evidence, Neumark and Wascher argue that minimum wages do not achieve the main goals set forth by their supporters. They reduce employment opportunities for less-skilled workers and tend to reduce their earnings; they are not an effective means of reducing poverty; and they appear to have adverse longer-term effects on wages and earnings, in part by reducing the acquisition of human capital. The authors argue that policymakers should instead look for other tools to raise the wages of low-skill workers and to provide poor families with an acceptable standard of living

The higher the cost of labor goes, the less competitive the lowest-skilled workers become.  Those businesses that cannot absorb the costs will pass them along to their customers, raising the cost of living and eventually eliminating whatever transient increase in actual buying power the wage increase produced — which prompts politicians to raise the floor again and start the cycle over.

The unemployment spike this summer among teenagers should have confirmed this. Most of the working poor make more than minimum wage, and for good reason: minimum wage positions are starter jobs. Even those positions only pay that rate at hire, not permanently, making the “they deserve a raise” argument ludicrous. Raises get determined by employers, not government, and the act of raising the floor rate actually dilutes performance-based increases and makes them less likely to occur. Most of the people making minimum wage aren’t poor anyway — they’re students and part-time workers who have to watch as opportunities to make extra money get narrowed by government-imposed rate increases.

#89 2008-12-16 07:22:25

Neumark and Wascher's analysis has been sharply criticized by some other economists for being based on biased selection and interpretation of data.  The critics report that the evidence (including evidence cited by Neumark and Wascher), actually indicates raising state minimum wages increases teen wages and has insignificant effect on employment overall.

http://www.irs.princeton.edu/pubs/pdfs/316.pdf

Board footer

cruelery.com