#1 2008-12-14 14:23:32

Last edited by Dirckman (2008-12-14 14:46:32)

#2 2008-12-14 17:20:30

I think this movie is genius. . . because of how much I loathed it when I first saw it in high school. I then saw Blue Velvet in college, and hated the first third of it, until the appearance of Frank Booth, and the light bulb came on for my appreciation of David Lynch. So I respect very much that Eraserhead could provoke such a strong reaction, that's the mark of a quality film experience. The audio, particularly the industrial sounds, are trademarks of Lynch, and something I also appreciate very much.

#3 2008-12-14 17:31:29

It's ironic, I was just watching this the other day on Netflix, since Salo is only available now by dvd.  It's not yet available for instant viewing.

Speaking of which, I've been trying to find anything juicy from Salo, and the only things I can find are trailers.  Lame.

#4 2008-12-14 18:53:58

lechero wrote:

I think this movie is genius. . . because of how much I loathed it when I first saw it in high school.

I took a hot NYU film student to see it in the village when it was first released and we lasted 10 minutes. Someone will have to knock me unconscious before I sit through that much of it again.

#5 2008-12-14 18:56:06

David Lynch is a fucking hack.

#6 2008-12-14 19:02:13

Definitely not a date movie. Tetsuo, now there's a film to warm up the ladies.

choad wrote:

I took a hot NYU film student to see it in the village when it was first released and we lasted 10 minutes. Someone will have to knock me unconscious before I sit through that much of it again.

Last edited by lechero (2008-12-14 19:08:36)

#7 2008-12-14 19:06:09

lechero wrote:

Definitely not a date movie. Tetsuo, now there's a film to warm up the ladies.

That drill dick scene makes the panties just jump right off.  Have you seen the "sequel," Tetsuo 2: The Body Hammer?  It's good, but quite different.

I do love Tetsuo, but the best Japanese pink cinema that I've seen is Rubber's Lover.  I highly recommend it if you like to watch Japanese people screaming.

#8 2008-12-14 19:22:20

Tetsuo on the big screen helped me seduce a special lady, always been fond of that film.

I invited a girl I barely knew to el rancho along with a couple of my more deranged friends. We all ate acid (first time for her) and drank tequila all night long, watching Testuo 2 at some point in the wee hours. When dawn rolled around we started watching Legend of the Overfiend. That one sent the girl into tears. She probably had some emotional problems before, I regret she certainly had them after. Oh well. I suppose I do feel a little guilty.

I'll check out Rubber's Lover, thanks for the tip.

jesusluvspegging wrote:

That drill dick scene makes the panties just jump right off.  Have you seen the "sequel," Tetsuo 2: The Body Hammer?  It's good, but quite different.

I do love Tetsuo, but the best Japanese pink cinema that I've seen is Rubber's Lover.  I highly recommend it if you like to watch Japanese people screaming.

#9 2008-12-14 19:29:06

jesusluvspegging wrote:

I think Lynch's recent work sticks to a formula which I personally find uninteresting, I like the earlier stuff. Maybe all that transcendental meditation has fried his noodle.

#10 2008-12-14 19:35:19

Eraserhead reminds me of another movie I own, Begotten.  They are both interesting artistic pieces, but not as stories.  The medium is worth more than the message in these cases.  Watching them is more about what the imagery evokes in you emotionally than what happens in the film, and so I've never felt the need to watch either in its entirety.

#11 2008-12-14 19:48:33

lechero wrote:

When dawn rolled around we started watching Legend of the Overfiend.

I assume you mean the dubbed and butchered Americanized version.  OAVs 1-3 are much better.

Here ya go.

#12 2008-12-15 01:21:27

jesusluvspegging wrote:

Regardless of whether or not David Lynch is a hack, Eraserhead is one of the few movies that breaks the mold....  It doesn't matter the genre, be it comedy, drama, horror or action everyone here has pretty much seen every movie ever made regardless of the title because they are so carbon copied....  With Eraserhead, A Clockwork Orange, Harold and Maude, Pulp fiction, and among a few other films we see something bigger and something different....  The most mind boggling scene out of Eraserhead to me is the singing of In Heaven at the one hour mark of the movie, the song, though incredibly simple and postmodern, expresses incredibly complicated emotions and offers a kind of relief to the "industrial" feel of the movie....

#13 2008-12-15 01:46:07

tojo2000 wrote:

Eraserhead reminds me of another movie I own, Begotten.  They are both interesting artistic pieces, but not as stories.  The medium is worth more than the message in these cases.  Watching them is more about what the imagery evokes in you emotionally than what happens in the film, and so I've never felt the need to watch either in its entirety.

You're dead on Mr. tojo......   People wanting to watch Eraserhead or Begotten for a story or for a plot will leave leave dissapointed....  I'm still sickened and intrigued by the scene in Begotten in which Mother Earth disembowels herself (2:00 mark of the clip).....  Neither of these movies are actually meant to be understood, both movies are made to induce an emotion and both do it quite well....

Last edited by Dirckman (2008-12-15 01:46:47)

Board footer

cruelery.com