#1 2009-02-04 12:49:45

Since you all were so great with the dessert recipe supply, I thought I would ask yet again.

I need suggestions for a Valentines Day dinner.  I wanna cook something.  I don't have any idea what... could be red meat, cornish game hens, seafood, home made pasta, whatever.

Throw me your fave suggestions + recipes. 

Come on, there are many secret chefs in here.  And some not so secret ones.

I can cook, I follow directions well...so shoot.

RT

#2 2009-02-04 13:48:48

I'm thinking.

It can't be too garlicky or messy or too involved (like a do-ahead thing).

In the meantime, try Epicurious. It looks like they even have a quiz that'll help you.

Cornish game hens are great. Apricot jam glazed.

#3 2009-02-04 13:52:11

How about braised lamb shanks with risotto?

#4 2009-02-04 13:53:36

Hmm.  You're right, too garlicy = bad.  Too messy = me unhappy, and too involved = cutting into my lack of time before saturday anyhow.

Gonna go knock around at epicurious, but I love tried and true recipes so I'm hoping to get a few things around here too.

#5 2009-02-04 13:54:41

Taint wrote:

How about braised lamb shanks with risotto?

How hard is that to make?  Lamb shanks are expensive, and I haven't cooked them before.   I know risotto is time involved, so that scares me.  I'm afraid of MealFail.

#6 2009-02-04 13:58:02

Sofie posted this series on cooking with marijuana awhile back.  After the initial steps of producing cannabis butter and oil, these are used in several recipes that look interesting.  Check out the whole series of 10 videos if the idea interests you.

Last edited by fnord (2009-02-04 14:01:49)

#7 2009-02-04 14:01:22

Hmm.  Interesting, fnord.  Very very interesting...

#8 2009-02-04 15:08:55

If you have a food processor, this is super-easy and really good:
SIMPLE PESTO
3 large garlic cloves
1/2 cup pine nuts
2 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano, coarsely grated (2/3 cup)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 cups loosely packed fresh basil
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
With food processor running, drop in garlic and finely chop. Stop motor and add nuts, cheese, salt, pepper, and basil, then process until finely chopped. With motor running, add oil, blending until incorporated.

From there, add sliced grilled chicken breast, sliced black olives, sauteed mushrooms, roasted red pepper or whatever else you like in any combination.  Can be served hot or cold.

If you and your intended victim like Indian food, this is a terrific recipe for Makhni (aka Butter Chicken).  And if you do like Indian food, I recommend the VahRehVah website.  Its intended audience appears to be expatriate Indians living abroad, and all the recipes we've tried have turned out terrific.

#9 2009-02-04 15:13:00

Risotto is easy, Roger, but it does involve a time commitment of about half an hour of your undivided attention. Really, though, it's not complicated.

You'll need a heavy bottomed 4-quart pot (or larger). The heavy bottom is important; light weight pans will scorch.

1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon rosemary, finely chopped
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cups arborio rice (easy to find; don't use regular rice)
8 cups stock, boiling (vegetable or beef; chicken - oddly - doesn't work as well)

Additionally,
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup grated Romano or Parmesano cheese

In a separate pot, bring stock to a boil and then reduce to simmer. Place the pot on a burner nearest the burner where you'll be making the risotto. You'll be ladling the stock into the rice bit by bit.

- In the pot you'll use for risotto, melt the 3 tablespoons of butter.

- Add the onions and saute over low heat until they become translucent, then add the garlic and rosemary. Saute them for another minute or so, and then add the rice, stirring it so all the grains are thoroughly coated in the butter mixture.

- Now, bring the heat up to medium.

- Pour in wine, and let reduce. Continue stirring rice.

- When the wine has evaporated, begin adding stock to rice, one ladle at a time. Stir the rice until it has absorbed the stock, and then add another ladle full, stirring, etc. Continue doing this until the rice is al dente. It should be creamy on the outside with just a hint of a bite inside the grain. The whole process (ladeling, stirring, absorbing; labeling, stirring, absorbing, etc.) takes about 20 minutes.

- When the rice is finished, add the additional butter and cheese, stirring it into the rice until it's melted and blended in with the risotto. Salt and pepper to taste.

The important thing is to keep stirring the rice. You can stop for a moment or two to grab something, or check on something else, but it's the gradual addition of liquid and the constant stirring that make risotto the dish that it is.

The great thing about risotto is that it's very adaptable, and you can add pretty much whatever you want to it. Saute some shrimp and add it at the end, stir in asparagus, or spinach, or add an entirely different kind of cheese such as chevre or a bleu.

The best part is, risotto never fails to impress and seems far more complicated than it actually is.

-

#10 2009-02-04 15:13:01

Here's an easy side dish:

2 cans of corn, drained.
1 small (4 oz) can of diced green chiles.  Jalapenos, if you like hot.
1 stick of butter.
1 box (8 oz) of cream cheese.

On the stove or in the microwave, melt the butter and cream cheese.  Dump in everything else, heat and stir.  It scales up nicely, and you can use both jalapenos and green chiles in larger batches.

#11 2009-02-04 15:34:25

MMM. Now I'm hungry.  Maybe I'll do a test run on risotto tonight just to get a feel for how it goes...

And I'm liking the corn thing...probably because I like jalapenos...and cream cheese. 

Pesto...shit, maybe I'll just make them all tonight and see what happens. haha!

#12 2009-02-04 16:02:47

Roger_That wrote:

Since you all were so great with the dessert recipe supply, I thought I would ask yet again.

At the risk of offending everyone, only thing between me and the white beach Gulf of Mexicans until yesterday was palm trees and citrus of ever description.

So I made keylime pies to make any cruel heart sing; wheat germ and fresh shredded coconut, yellow ripe key limes and coconut milk in place of sweetned condensed milk. Interested?

#13 2009-02-04 16:09:19

choad wrote:

Roger_That wrote:

At the risk of offending everyone, only thing between me and the white beach Gulf of Mexicans until yesterday was palm trees and citrus of ever description.

So I made keylime pies to make any cruel heart sing; wheat germ and fresh shredded coconut, yellow ripe key limes and coconut milk in place of sweetned condensed milk. Interested?

Posty posty!  And I hate sweetened condensed milk.

#14 2009-02-04 16:28:52

Braciole?  Cajun-injected oven roasted whole chicken?  Stuffed chicken parmesan?  Cheesy chicken enchiladas?

#15 2009-02-04 16:33:56

This Crockpot Risotto is a bit less involved and pretty good.

I made this mole poblano a couple days ago and it is fantastic.  Don't be intimidated by the ingredient list, if you have a blender it doesn't take too long to make.  The radish salsa is highly recommended, but I suggest adding cilantro to it.

Last edited by jesusluvspegging (2009-02-04 16:36:17)

#16 2009-02-04 20:03:59

I made the mole poblano once a few years ago but lost track of the recipe.  Muchisimas gracias.  It is most excellent.

#17 2009-02-04 21:58:31

Btw, I am an Italian oddity.  I hate Braciole.  Hate it!

#18 2009-02-04 23:57:14

Roger_That wrote:

Italian? So "That" must be a northern Italian name?

#19 2009-02-05 00:36:07

My brother-in-law's crab dip recipe.  Not exactly a meal, but on the other hand it doesn't require constant attention like the risotto:

1. 8-oz package cream cheese

2. 1 cup mayonnaise

3. 2 Tbsp lemon juice

4. 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

5. 1 tsp Old Bay

6. 1 lb crab meat

Melt cream cheese in saucepan.  When melted, stir in #2-#5 'til well blended.  Stir in crab meat and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes.

Serve as-is with your favorite dip conveyance, or if you want to get fancy put it into a baking dish, cover with bread crumbs, and brown in oven.

#20 2009-02-05 08:20:57

Roger_That wrote:

What do you have against braciole?

Why do you hate America and her immigrants?

#21 2009-02-05 08:26:31

Taint wrote:

Roger_That wrote:

Italian? So "That" must be a northern Italian name?

heh.  Actually, my family is from southern Italy.  I just detest braciole.  Always have.  Hate hate hate it.  GROSS.

#22 2009-02-05 08:46:49

I love Italian food and I've never heard of braciole until now.

You can guess what I'm making for dinner tomorrow.  Anybody got a favorite recipe?

Last edited by jesusluvspegging (2009-02-05 08:47:32)

#23 2009-02-05 10:01:59

I am really not much of a cook, but occasionally dip my oar into the water.  One really simple treat is gorgonzola buffalo burgers.  I have used the Whole Paycheck recipe at the link below and thought they were great.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes … ipeId=1641

#24 2009-02-05 11:03:11

Damn.  Now I have too many choices.

Shit.  I might experiment tonight.  I didn't have time last night to try anything out.

#25 2009-02-05 12:30:22

Hey Taint,

Got a good recipe for how to do grilled lamb shanks?  I mean, should I marinate them?  Throw them on the grill as is???  I'm thinking I'm gonna do some lamb.  Or maybe even a rack of lamb?  I love lamb, I don't have a clue how to or what to use when cooking it.  I can oven do, or outside grill...

Also, CHOAD where's that key lime pie recipe?  I'm collecting...

#26 2009-02-05 12:41:26

Roger_That wrote:

I use the one on the back of the Nellie and Joe's key lime juice bottle.

#27 2009-02-05 12:50:53

Interesting..I've always felt a man who can cook is also a man who is great in bed. Men who don't use butter in the kitchen, on the other hand, or who do strange things with soy cheese... well, enough said. Caveat emptor.

#28 2009-02-05 13:25:32

jesusluvspegging wrote:

I love Italian food and I've never heard of braciole until now.

You can guess what I'm making for dinner tomorrow.  Anybody got a favorite recipe?

Get your favorite sauce going in a pot first.  Make sure to leave room for the sauce to rise once you put the rest of the recipe in.

1/8 inch thick top round steaks, 1 per diner
Italian sausage, I use 1lb since I usually cook 6 teaks at a time, Publix has the best I have found, get the hot
Sliced mozzarella, 3 slices per steak
Butter
Parmesan cheese
Kosher salt
Pepper
Olive oil
Butchers twine
Angel hair pasta

Cook the sausage in a skillet until about three quraters done(carry over heat plus final cooking will finish it up), drain and set aside.

Make sure the steaks are thin, if your butcher gave you steaks too thick pound them flatter with a tenderizer. Lay three slices of mozzarella across the steaks.  Spread butter on the cheese, just enough to give the parmesan cheese traction on the mozzarella.  Sprinkle or fresh grate your parmesan.  Top the parmesan with italian sausage, no set amount just make sure you can still roll this thing up.

Roll the steaks into tight jelly rolls and tie off with the butcher string, two pieces towards the sides.  Sprinkle with Kosher salt and pepper and quickly brown outside in olive oil.  Just a light brown on the outside, don't cook the steak through.

After browning each steak put them in your sauce and simmer for 30-45 minutes.

Serve over angel hair pasta.

P.S. for Toe:  Try this recipe, go back and try my fruit tart recipe from the other thread and give me a call to test out your theory.  I can live up to that thought.

#29 2009-02-05 13:30:02

what was that you were saying about my little girl again, scotty?

http://i43.tinypic.com/30szjg1.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2afkchd.jpg

Last edited by icangetyouatoe (2009-02-05 13:40:24)

#30 2009-02-05 13:47:58

Scotty wrote:

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM

You had me at "sausage"

Last edited by jesusluvspegging (2009-02-05 13:48:23)

#31 2009-02-05 14:19:55

jesusluvspegging wrote:

Roger_That wrote:

I use the one on the back of the Nellie and Joe's key lime juice bottle.

Yeah, sorry, I got strapped to the rack the moment I de-planed and forced to make good on vacation sloth.

Jesus has a point, though. Key lime recipes are everywhere. Problem is, I'm not liable to reproduce my heavenly beginner's luck any time soon. I'd never eaten key lime pie before and didn't know what to expect.

I bought a bag of key limes at a local publix in case I didn't find enough ripe ones and they were tiny and green, not at all like the big yellow ones I picked off the tree and naturally, did not taste the same.

I picked the three coconuts I milked for the pies, simmer-reduced for the proscribed volume, too. They'd probably sour by the time they reached market but I don't know for sure. One thing is certain; unless you grate the flesh yourself, shredded and packaged coconut meat sucks the desiccated hairy big one. And graham cracker crusts are beneath my dignity to describe.

I even had the colossal good fortune to find fresh farm eggs - in place of the standard issue factory cage crap - for the custard. The cheery on top was my first ever experience with a gen-u-ine convection oven.

While I'm whining here, the first four shots here will show you where I stayed. The rest of that roll are of a condo in Venice, FL a friend is trying to rent. She wants $3,000 a month.

#32 2009-02-05 14:25:32

choad wrote:

I picked the three coconuts I milked for the pies, simmer-reduced for the proscribed volume, too. They'd probably sour by the time they reached market but I don't know for sure. One thing is certain; unless you grate the flesh yourself, shredded and packaged coconut meat sucks the desiccated hairy big one. And graham cracker crusts are beneath my dignity to describe.

Your graham cracker phobia aside, it sounds as though my pie is fucking deficient.  Time to take that shit to the kitchen laboratory.

#33 2009-02-05 15:19:13

Risotto this, Pesto that. The hell with that. Serve your man what he really wants....Butthole on a Cracker!

1 female butthole
1 cracker

Now serve it up, cracker style! (note: dish should have appearance similiar to one below)

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/415_cracker_snack_bread.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#34 2009-02-05 15:21:41

Banjo wrote:

Risotto this, Pesto that. The hell with that. Serve your man what he really wants....Butthole on a Cracker!

1 female butthole
1 cracker

Now serve it up, cracker style! (note: dish should have appearance similiar to one below)

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/415 … _bread.jpg

Everything's better on a sitz.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#35 2009-02-05 15:40:49

choad wrote:

While I'm whining here, the first four shots here will show you where I stayed.

I hate you.

#36 2009-02-05 16:17:41

Banjo, fuck off for ruining a perfectly good non-poop related thread.

#37 2009-02-05 17:01:19

Roger_That wrote:

You don't understand.  Cajuns will eat ANYTHING.

#38 2009-02-05 17:06:58

icangetyouatoe wrote:

what was that you were saying about my little girl again, scotty?

http://i43.tinypic.com/30szjg1.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2afkchd.jpg

She's welcome to tag along, she looked just the right height to shoot some good camera angles for us.  :)

#39 2009-02-05 17:29:36

Scotty wrote:

Roger_That wrote:

You don't understand.  Cajuns will eat ANYTHING.

Damn, a brother tries to help out a friend and this is the thanks he gets? My "Butthole on an Animal Cracker" was a big hit at last year's family reunion, but that's a Louisiana treat most people don't fully appreciate.

Taint, I found some extra large crackers at the Kroger, in the deli section, if you're interested in the recipe.

Last edited by Banjo (2009-02-05 17:30:00)

#40 2009-02-05 17:38:54

Banjo wrote:

but that's a Louisiana treat most people don't fully appreciate.

Which, ironically or not, can be said about 90% of cajun cuisine.  Don't get me wrong, Banjo, I'm not knocking cajun food; I grew up on it.  Outside of the ArkLaTex though it ain't getting much play.

#41 2009-02-05 17:47:39

Scotty wrote:

Banjo wrote:

but that's a Louisiana treat most people don't fully appreciate.

Outside of the ArkLaTex though it ain't getting much play.

I didn't know cajun food and the Republican Party had so much in common.

#42 2009-02-05 17:58:43

Jesus has a point, though. Key lime recipes are everywhere. Problem is, I'm not liable to reproduce my heavenly beginner's luck any time soon. I'd never eaten key lime pie before and didn't know what to expect.

I bought a bag of key limes at a local publix in case I didn't find enough ripe ones and they were tiny and green, not at all like the big yellow ones I picked off the tree and naturally, did not taste the same.

I even had the colossal good fortune to find fresh farm eggs - in place of the standard issue factory cage crap - for the custard. The cheery on top was my first ever experience with a gen-u-ine convection oven.

Are you daft man? One does not put coconut anything in key lime pie. And the limes, if they were not plucked from a tree with wicked thorns the are not key limes. Key lime pie consists of these ingredients;

key lime juice
Carnation sweetened condensed milk
Egg yolks

Pie crust either home made with gram cracker or

Standard pie crust - flour, butter, salt & cold water in a Cuisinart, roll out the dough with plenty of flour - and if you have appropriately prepared yourself with a bowl of herb you can draw rude things in the flour. After rolling and fitting the dough in the glass pie pan (you must flute) - use what is left to make rolled out dough - squish on some butter, brown sugar and cinnamon... bake on cookie sheet while pies are baking.. remove finished pies, munch on treat.. marvel at the things your grandma taught you....

#43 2009-02-05 18:10:54

Banjo wrote:

I didn't know cajun food and the Republican Party had so much in common.

Watch out, O+ gonna git ya!

#44 2009-02-05 19:27:21

If you're looking for a good fish recipe, I cooked this up with orange roughy about a week ago and I'm going to use it again tonight using Chilean sea bass. It was dreamy-good; even the leftovers were heavenly.

1 1/2 lbs. orange roughy
3 tsp. butter
2 tbsp. white wine
3/4 tsp. seasoned salt
3 tbsp. bread crumbs
2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese

In 9x13 baking dish melt butter. Add wine. Roll the orange roughy in the butter and wine mixture so both sides are coated. Sprinkle seasoned salt over the top and broil 6 minutes. Pull out and sprinkle on the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Broil 1 more minute. Serves 4.

#45 2009-02-05 19:33:23

All these recipes  are fucking awesome and I am printing out the page.

Last edited by icangetyouatoe (2009-02-05 19:33:53)

#46 2009-02-05 21:10:43

icangetyouatoe wrote:

Interesting..I've always felt a man who can cook is also a man who is great in bed. Men who don't use butter in the kitchen, on the other hand, or who do strange things with soy cheese... well, enough said. Caveat emptor.

I love you.

(I'll bring the butter.)

#47 2009-02-05 21:21:11

Soy cheese is a disgusting abomination that does not meet the minimum criteria to be considered food.  Any man who would prepare alleged food using this substance is probably an axe murderer!

#48 2009-02-05 21:44:57

I broke it off with my fiance back in the 90s when Mr. Iron Man Himself and I were walking past a donut shop and he said, "damn..look at all those idiots eating donuts."
I knew it was over... I couldn't spend the rest of my life with someone who doesn't eat white flour. And let me tell you...six pack abs  and only jerk chicken with roasted vegetables for dinner beforehand are the same as nothing at all. Worse than, in fact.

#49 2009-02-06 08:34:34

Hi Woggah!

Bake some muff-ins

http://www.pastaqueen.com/halfofme/images/vagina_muffins_01.jpg

plenty of french bread

http://www.megapenetrations.com/img/models/HglrugcYJl.jpg

and Chocolate salty balls

http://pages.prodigy.net/pporro/chef/ccsb006.jpg

#50 2009-02-06 08:37:13

GODDAMMIT ZED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Board footer

cruelery.com