#51 2009-02-12 01:04:21

George... pssst.  That's Aladdin you are talking to.

#52 2009-02-12 01:20:12

I know.  But I think it's true of any viewer.  As tojo pointed out, Maddow often has guests who have a different point of view.  There's real discussion, instead of the screaming matches, stupid arguments or circle jerks we've become accustomed to seeing.

#53 2009-02-12 01:21:00

Television.

Every time I travel and stay in a motel, I find it's still the same as when I told Comcast to go away 10 years ago (I think they thought it was illegal for me NOT to have a cable hookup. Besides the endless mail and phone calls, they sent people to knock on my fucking door, for shit sake). Only rarely is there something on that isn't utterly fucking brain dead. Even PBS sucks. No wonder the nation is going straight to shit, and the rest of the world hates our asses.

http://www.iconoclastbooks.com/images/tv_turn_off2.jpg

#54 2009-02-12 07:58:07

Dmtdust wrote:

Fled wrote:

fois gras (on basic decency grounds)
(slime factor)raw oysters (same)
a long list of controlled substances (because they fuck you up, but in a bad way)
haggis (because it reeks)

I know... I know... but Fois Gras is so damn good.
Oysters?  Are you out of your mind? (Answer: Probably)
Fuck you and your prudery on the controlled substances.  Everyone has the right to fuck up their lives as they see fit.

I can talk about the lack jack . . . .  It is not prudery at all.  Indeed, I am fairly depraved in my own way(s).  I am libertarian about what others do, with the child-exception you note, and with respect to driving under significant impairment.  My boycott is only that -- a boycott, and a highly selective one at that.  Perhaps is nothing more than an attempt to survive.

#55 2009-02-12 12:51:03

As someone who NEVER watched television until I met tivo and my ex boyfriend, I gotta say, you guys are missing out if you're not watching Weeds, or if you didn't see Sopranos.. or even In Treatment. The quality of the writing on cable has improved from the days when television was a synonym for the retarded... and is largely better than most films released these days, which are hamstrung by the demographic they must serve to make their money back.

As far as boycotts-you know what? Drugs. Unless you're growing your own weed, if you're buying even weed from mexico, let alone other shit, you're buying into a system of murder, pain and suffering until the US government gets their head out of their ass and legalizes. I'm always amazed at these lefties who see no problem buying say, cocaine or heroin, business models that have destroyed the lives of so many innocents all over the world, fund the international arms trade,  and fuck up the environment but insist on recycled toilet paper. Everyone has the right to ruin their own lives, but to buy something that ruins communities and kills people through its commercial trade, not to mention use, is fucked.up.

#56 2009-02-12 12:57:45

icangetyouatoe wrote:

The quality of the writing on cable has improved from the days when television was a synonym for the retarded... and is largely better than most films released these days, which are hamstrung by the demographic they must serve to make their money back.

As with all entertainment product, 99.9% of it is crap.  However, there's a lot more teevee than there used to be, so the 0.01% that is quality has increased.  Television is probably better than it has ever been--not that that's saying much--and if you ignore the medium completely you are missing out.

Also, everything you said about proscribed drugs is spot on.

#57 2009-02-12 13:19:52

A couple y'all have reminded me of because I never thought of them as "boycotts":

I don't give money to religious organizations.  I will donate old clothes to church clothing drives, since I figure they've got a better distribution network than I do.  I'm not one of these atheists that think churches are incapable of doing some good.

TV.  There's one or two shows I keep up on, but I download them from the Inter Nets.

...and if you don't do meth, it's not a boycott, any more than a six year old not liking spinach is a boycott.  You just don't like it, so you don't do it.  I, Myself, avoid drugs that are physically addictive (excepting caffeine and sugar).

From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 [gcide]:

Boycott \Boy"cott\, n.
     The process, fact, or pressure of boycotting; a combining to
     withhold or prevent dealing or social intercourse with a
     tradesman, employer, etc.; social and business interdiction
     for the purpose of coercion.
     [1913 Webster]

#58 2009-02-12 13:28:58

I should boycott sushi but I have a wasabi jones.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/spec … 6876.story

#59 2009-02-12 13:29:35

George Orr wrote:

icangetyouatoe wrote:

The quality of the writing on cable has improved from the days when television was a synonym for the retarded... and is largely better than most films released these days, which are hamstrung by the demographic they must serve to make their money back.

As with all entertainment product, 99.9% of it is crap.  However, there's a lot more teevee than there used to be, so the 0.01% that is quality has increased.  Television is probably better than it has ever been--not that that's saying much--and if you ignore the medium completely you are missing out.

Also, everything you said about proscribed drugs is spot on.

I dig you George! I'm sorry about messing up your Abercrombie and Fitch fantasy awhile back... does this help? If I could write "hi george, love george" across the top I would..
http://i40.tinypic.com/2mgq3m.jpg

Last edited by icangetyouatoe (2009-02-12 13:30:10)

#60 2009-02-12 13:32:01

MrCreosote wrote:

I should boycott sushi but I have a wasabi jones.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/spec … 6876.story

Interesting. 

My addiction is to those little slices of pickled ginger, not that I don't also love wasabi.

#61 2009-02-12 13:35:26

Welcome, Mr. Creosote. You have a gift bag waiting for you at reception.

#62 2009-02-12 13:42:41

icangetyouatoe wrote:

Welcome, Mr. Creosote. You have a gift bag waiting for you at reception.

....hold on, the gift bag's not done yet.  I had peanut butter and cheese for dinner last night.

#63 2009-02-12 13:59:47

icangetyouatoe wrote:

As someone who NEVER watched television until I met tivo and my ex boyfriend, I gotta say, you guys are missing out if you're not watching Weeds, or if you didn't see Sopranos.. or even In Treatment. The quality of the writing on cable has improved from the days when television was a synonym for the retarded... and is largely better than most films released these days, which are hamstrung by the demographic they must serve to make their money back.

As far as boycotts-you know what? Drugs. Unless you're growing your own weed, if you're buying even weed from mexico, let alone other shit, you're buying into a system of murder, pain and suffering until the US government gets their head out of their ass and legalizes. I'm always amazed at these lefties who see no problem buying say, cocaine or heroin, business models that have destroyed the lives of so many innocents all over the world, fund the international arms trade,  and fuck up the environment but insist on recycled toilet paper. Everyone has the right to ruin their own lives, but to buy something that ruins communities and kills people through its commercial trade, not to mention use, is fucked.up.

I buy no weed that isn't grown by friends.

As far as that goes, I know people who drive all the way from Vancouver and Edmonton, to INDIANAPOLIS, to buy the weed I smoke. I'm not kidding. One guy even offered to trade coke, weight for weight, but my friends aren't into anything but growing the very best weed on the planet. This one fellow in Denver buys a couple pounds from Canadians, drives from Denver to Indy stopping in several cities along the way to sell the BC Buds to people he knows across the country (former Deadhead), then, he times it so that when he's sold out, he uses all the money to buy our hydro and goes back and sells it to the same Canadians at a much higher rate than he pays.

God bless America, a friend with a degree from Purdue in botany, and digital ballasts......

Wouldn't ever buy Mexican weed for the same reasons as above. Mexico is turning into Columbia/The Congo...

Edit: Weeds is a great show, as well. There are lots of good shows on cable like Flight of the Concords, Weeds, etc....

2nd Edit: Oh, and if you smoke the weed I do, you really don't have a need for shit like Coke or Heroin. They don't call it green crack for nothing, lol.

Last edited by ptah13 (2009-02-12 14:04:33)

#64 2009-02-12 14:06:33

phoQ wrote:

Roger_That wrote:

Starting last year, I have boycotted all men with small penises.

Hooray!  But how can you tell until it’s too late?  And how do I let women like you know I have a large penis without being a cocky dick?

Well, I take a look.  If it is small, I just say "Sorry, your package is not ample enough to bring me pleasure!"

It really is that simple.

#65 2009-02-12 14:09:11

pALEPHx wrote:

Roger_That wrote:

Can I join you? Do you have a Facebook Group for that yet? I was only going to boycott Walmart.

I should start a Facebook Group for this.  Although I think it would be more appropriate on Myspace.

#66 2009-02-12 14:13:46

I like the "weed lite" that "hippie crack" just gives me anxiety attacks.
I boycott weed that isn't locally grown.

#67 2009-02-12 14:14:07

I boycott all reality TV, the show Lost, and anything with Flava Flav in it.

I also boycott apple bottom jeans and boots with the fur (boots with the fur). 

And Uggs.

#68 2009-02-12 14:18:27

Roger_That wrote:

pALEPHx wrote:

Roger_That wrote:

Can I join you? Do you have a Facebook Group for that yet? I was only going to boycott Walmart.

I should start a Facebook Group for this.  Although I think it would be more appropriate on Myspace.

I wonder what kind of targeted advertising you'd get from Facebook if you did start/join that group.

#69 2009-02-12 14:20:31

jesusluvspegging wrote:

Roger_That wrote:

pALEPHx wrote:

I wonder what kind of targeted advertising you'd get from Facebook if you did start/join that group.

Well, those folks that mock-up your cock for a dong would be a good start.

Who wants a tiny dildo, right? (except maybe the tight-assed clergymen).

#70 2009-02-12 14:24:44

I boycott Valentine's day.

#71 2009-02-12 14:25:37

insomniac wrote:

I like the "weed lite" that "hippie crack" just gives me anxiety attacks.
I boycott weed that isn't locally grown.

I feel you. I know this hot chick that smoked some of my stuff once, awhile back, and never smoked pot again.... She thought it was the dope cookie that was the problem but she was fine till she took a few tokes... The cookie wasn't that strong.

I had to play thumb-wrestling with her for over 2 hours to keep her from the straight-jacket.

It was a scary scene, but, at least I cured her from any future drug abuse!

Board footer

cruelery.com