#1 2009-03-05 18:56:20

If you see it yourself, you're [...] probably a moron and a vapid, indecent human being.

I expect, like Cinderella, to change at midnight tonight.

#3 2009-03-05 19:25:54

I love the GN, but I'm not sure if I'll see the movie in the theater.  Snyder really disappointed me with his treatment of 300.

Remember the White single mother who told me her ten-year-old son could see it because "he knows it's not real and he knows the difference between right and wrong"? Well, she was back with her ten-year-old, and they waited in line for at least two hours with their free pass to get in to this screening, I'm told. I saw them walking out at the end.

Her son is going to grow up to be messed up. Don't do the same to your kid.

Hee hee.  Not as messed up as your kids, Lady Fnord.

Last edited by jesusluvspegging (2009-03-05 19:27:33)

#4 2009-03-05 19:38:11

Dogs fighting over, tearing apart, and eating a six-year-old girl--we're shown them chowing down on and tearing apart the remaining leg and leg bone, with the sock and shoe still on the bone as the dogs wrestle over it

I hadn’t heard of this movie, but now I might see it.  And what is going on in her press photo?  It looks like a totally different woman.
http://g.imagehost.org/0422/debbie2.jpghttp://f.imagehost.org/0105/debbieReal.jpg

#5 2009-03-05 19:42:39

Is that Hannity in the right hand pic?

#6 2009-03-05 19:57:07

jesusluvspegging wrote:

Is that Hannity in the right hand pic?

Yes.  I think she is on FauxNews or something.

#7 2009-03-05 21:01:19

I'm all over it.

#8 2009-03-05 21:08:00

E-GAD!!!!

I thought 300 basically sucked, and I doubt I'll see this before it comes to DVD, so no big deal.... but this lady ALMOST sold me on it. Almost....

I agree with the guy above. We GOTTA get her over here somehow and get her to "set us straight".

I'll even play token militant-hippy liberal for that deal... Even better, I'll claim I'm one of the "new conservatives" and explain how her people have been marginalized and are no longer near the real of being relative or mainstream in any way. Tell her that she is no longer even included in the debate on modern social interraction and should be given the same consideration society gives someone like the Grand Dragon of the KKK or something...

Can I give someone my phone # so I can be called if she comes here?!

#9 2009-03-05 21:42:55

ptah13 wrote:

E-GAD!!!!

I thought 300 basically sucked

I do so hate agreeing with you.

300 was crap.  The whole goddamned movie was in slow-motion and Leonidas had a speech impediment.

#10 2009-03-05 21:58:33

jesusluvspegging wrote:

ptah13 wrote:

E-GAD!!!!

300 was crap.  The whole goddamned movie was in slow-motion and Leonidas had a speech impediment.

I had to watch it in like 4 settings.... and I still don't think I've seen more than 1/2 of it.

#11 2009-03-05 22:03:24

300 was ludicrous from beginning to end, but fun in a campy way.  It's one of those movies that, in the words of John Waters, isn't in on the joke.

The only "graphic novels" I've ever read were Maus and, last year, Watchmen.  The medium is not my cup of tea--I will always prefer either reading text, or looking at images, not both together--but I recognize that is a personal prejudice (like my loathing of musicals) and that comic books can aspire to, and occasionally achieve, the status of art. 

I couldn't put Watchmen down--I mean that literally; I read it in a day.  It's an amazing story.  I've seen a few clips of the movie online and the visuals are very very good.  I will probably end up watching the movie at some point just out of curiosity.

#12 2009-03-05 22:10:03

ptah13 wrote:

jesusluvspegging wrote:

ptah13 wrote:

E-GAD!!!!

I had to watch it in like 4 settings.... and I still don't think I've seen more than 1/2 of it.

I'll add that "300" was a hit in gay bars, with the sound turned off, mind you.

#13 2009-03-05 22:19:05

If you're gonna spout opinion, learn how to proof-read:

And we all know what happened after they drank he purple Kool-Aid.

That's all it took for me/he/him/us/them/her/it.

#14 2009-03-05 22:21:13

Taint wrote:

I'll add that "300" was a hit in gay bars, with the sound turned off, mind you.

I am totally unsurprised.  Plus, with Leonidas's speech impediment, he even thounded a little gay.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t80/vespinoy/vespinoy/vespaS-side.jpg

THITH ITH THPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

and yes i know leonidas didn't have that particular speech impediment.  shut up i'm drunked

Last edited by jesusluvspegging (2009-03-05 22:23:31)

#15 2009-03-05 22:25:19

jesusluvspegging wrote:

ptah13 wrote:

E-GAD!!!!

There is a place for movies involving nothing but the beating of the crap out of people.

#16 2009-03-05 22:51:48

ah297900 wrote:

There is a place for movies involving nothing but the beating of the crap out of people.

Oooooh...Have you seen Shoot 'Em Up?

Crank was also reeaally good.

Both those movies cost me some brain cells but it was worth it.

#17 2009-03-05 23:18:24

If I was interested enough, I'd go through the archives to see what this bible camp veteran had to say about the Palins, mother  and daughter.

#18 2009-03-05 23:36:13

I heard a reviewer talk about this on NPR earlier today. She said "miss it." The writer wanted no credit, no association. Apparently, it's been twenty years since somebody has been trying to produce a film of this, but they say it doesn't hold a candle to its own descendants, like Dark Knight. She did say that it follows the book/collection fairly well, but just doesn't come off well. Regardless, I'm sure every fanboi in creation will be there with bells on.

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/images/rorschach2.gif

#19 2009-03-06 00:39:17

"Holy shitty web page formatting Batman!"

#20 2009-03-06 01:15:21

ah297900 wrote:

jesusluvspegging wrote:

ptah13 wrote:

E-GAD!!!!

Oh agree.... I love a good body count flick as much as the next guy. My beef with 300 was all the CGI. With that amount of CGI, why not just do like they did in Beowolf (not seen but a small part of it, so have no opinion) and take a few still shots of the actors and do the rest on the pc.... save a fortune...

It's like that, watching 300. I feel like I'm watching a total cartoon. I'm expecting Xerxes, at any moment, to call upon the powers of Ultra Mega Superzord and for Leonidas to grow to 200 feet talk and there be this big robot v man battle on the side of a mountain or something...

(sorry, I've got a 19-y-o boy, who, about 14-16 years ago was WAY into Power Rangers, to the point where I had to go to fucking Power Rangers LIVE and shit... shudder!)

#21 2009-03-06 07:03:17

#22 2009-03-06 08:24:01

I was sold on

I haven't seen a more violent, depraved movie in years

but when she got to

There were so many disgusting, violent, morbid, grisly scenes and acts of killing, I had to start writing them down, lest I forget. And that's in addition to the rape scene between superheroes (complete with violent beating of a female superhero) and an explicit sex scene between two other superheroes. Oh, and don't forget another superhero's swinging computer-generated penis frequently in your face on-screen.

my next stop was Netflix.

#23 2009-03-06 16:17:53

Just got back from seeing it (see my one-word review elsewhere).  With regard to graphic violence, it was tame compared to Sin City.  I wouldn't take a kid to see it (the R rating is supposed to be a subtle hint about such things) but after reading this woman's article (and reading it was more work than usual given she doesn't know how to format a web page) I think she needs to attend a Quentin Tarantino marathon to get some perspective.  Yeah, it was violent and bloody in places but that wasn't what the movie was about.  And as for the "superhero's swinging computer-generated penis frequently in your face", it never came remotely close to anyone's face, let alone hers.  In fact, it only swung in one scene.  It was pretty much stationary in most of the scenes.  Since it was supposed to be a naked man standing there it would have made as much sense for them to have left out the penis as it would have made to leave the nipples from his chest or the ears from his head.  It wasn't gratuitous if you accept the fact that they were portraying a being that doesn't bother to wear clothes.  I don't think it would have even excited Lurker.  Hell, the one sex scene the character was in didn't show his penis (though they compensated for this by showing an extra set of hands from him).

Last edited by Zookeeper (2009-03-06 16:18:25)

#24 2009-03-06 16:52:16

Zookeeper wrote:

Just got back from seeing it (see my one-word review elsewhere).  With regard to graphic violence, it was tame compared to Sin City.  I wouldn't take a kid to see it (the R rating is supposed to be a subtle hint about such things) but after reading this woman's article (and reading it was more work than usual given she doesn't know how to format a web page) I think she needs to attend a Quentin Tarantino marathon to get some perspective.  Yeah, it was violent and bloody in places but that wasn't what the movie was about.  And as for the "superhero's swinging computer-generated penis frequently in your face", it never came remotely close to anyone's face, let alone hers.  In fact, it only swung in one scene.  It was pretty much stationary in most of the scenes.  Since it was supposed to be a naked man standing there it would have made as much sense for them to have left out the penis as it would have made to leave the nipples from his chest or the ears from his head.  It wasn't gratuitous if you accept the fact that they were portraying a being that doesn't bother to wear clothes.  I don't think it would have even excited Lurker.  Hell, the one sex scene the character was in didn't show his penis (though they compensated for this by showing an extra set of hands from him).

Sheesh...

You are, ummm, a bit fixated on one aspect of the movie, dude. Go clean the pipes and then come back.

#25 2009-03-06 17:05:07

Zookeeper wrote:

With regard to graphic violence, it was tame compared to Sin City.

Zookie, as High-Street's self-appointed comic book nerd, Sin City's violence is a much more stylized violence similar to 300Watchmen runs the violence up to uncomfortably realistic levels.

On a scale of realistic to cartoony I would say Watchmen ----> 300 ----> Sin City.

#26 2009-03-06 17:33:42

Scotty wrote:

Zookeeper wrote:

With regard to graphic violence, it was tame compared to Sin City.

Zookie, as High-Street's self-appointed comic book nerd, Sin City's violence is a much more stylized violence similar to 300Watchmen runs the violence up to uncomfortably realistic levels.

On a scale of realistic to cartoony I would say Watchmen ----> 300 ----> Sin City.

The Authority blows them all away, though it hasn't been made into a movie yet.

#27 2009-03-06 18:10:12

jesusluvspegging wrote:

But The Authority has teh gehs in it.

#28 2009-03-06 19:04:24

Scotty wrote:

as High-Street's self-appointed comic book nerd

Watch it, buster.

#29 2009-03-06 20:51:06

ptah13 wrote:

Sheesh... You are, ummm, a bit fixated on one aspect of the movie, dude. Go clean the pipes and then come back.

Dick!

#30 2009-03-06 20:55:04

Zookeeper wrote:

ptah13 wrote:

Sheesh... You are, ummm, a bit fixated on one aspect of the movie, dude. Go clean the pipes and then come back.

Dick!

hehe

sorry, dude, I couldn't resist...

That bitch made it sound like the movie was one big long CGI dickslap to the viewers faces, though.

#31 2009-03-06 22:43:27

Scotty wrote:

jesusluvspegging wrote:

But The Authority has teh gehs in it.

...and look how violent it is!  It proves, once and for all, that the Homomosexual Agenda leads to the downfall of society, only we don't have a Jackson King to help us pull our shit back together.

#32 2009-03-07 00:22:06

I refuse to care until Cerebus the Aardvark is done live-action.

#33 2009-03-07 01:49:43

karenw wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Watch it, buster.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/72_simpsons-worst-wallpaper-ever-sm.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#34 2009-03-11 22:45:22

karenw wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Watch it, buster.

You think you got chops?  What say you?  What is your claim to the throne?

#35 2009-03-12 06:56:27

A box full of individually-wrapped books I've been carting around since high school buys me some cred, methinks.

#36 2009-03-12 09:01:30

karenw wrote:

A box full of individually-wrapped books I've been carting around since high school buys me some cred, methinks.

Only one?My closet currently has 11 long boxes and 10 short boxes.  I have at least one book that I paid $300 for and to cap all that; I bought GCG graded Hair Bear Bunch books.

#37 2009-03-12 09:36:41

Hey you guys, they got Trekkies over on the other thread. Maybe you should merge the threads or something?

#38 2009-03-12 10:20:20

Scotty wrote:

karenw wrote:

Only one?My closet currently has 11 long boxes and 10 short boxes.  I have at least one book that I paid $300 for and to cap all that; I bought GCG graded Hair Bear Bunch books.

People, please! We can compromise:  you're both losers!

#39 2009-03-12 11:16:50

Is Maus now an action movie?

#40 2009-03-12 15:17:03

Scotty wrote:

karenw wrote:

Every week I download ~2-3 gigs worth of that weeks comics releases and pick through them.  I've got... um... about 20 gigs archived, but I don't keep everything, obviously.

I've read every single one of the 686 Batman comics (not all of the offshoot titles, though).  My favorite story arc was No Man's Land.

EDIT: I do not own a single paper comic book.  I am That Asshole.

Last edited by jesusluvspegging (2009-03-12 15:22:40)

#41 2009-03-12 17:13:52

jesusluvspegging wrote:

I am That Asshole.

Hell, we already knew that!

#42 2009-03-13 07:06:44

I suspected as soon as I posted that you had me beat, Scotty.

#43 2009-03-14 11:06:42

That woman saw a different movie than I did. One in which Dr. Manhattan's quantum wang was a lot bigger and more pendulous, apparently.

I am tired of superhero movies, but Watchmen was great. My favorite part was the superheros who couldn't have sex unless they beat people up in costume first. You got your sex in my violence! No, you got your violence in my sex!

#44 2009-03-14 12:11:00

rcade wrote:

That woman saw a different movie than I did. One in which Dr. Manhattan's quantum wang was a lot bigger and more pendulous, apparently.

I am tired of superhero movies, but Watchmen was great. My favorite part was the superheros who couldn't have sex unless they beat people up in costume first. You got your sex in my violence! No, you got your violence in my sex!

Just hearing you discuss a "quantum wang" is enough for me.

I'm off to the movies!!!

Your old buddy "Glas" and one of his supra-genius buddies have been in a huge email debate over the film this past week, so I guess I'll have to see for myself.

#46 2009-03-14 20:29:32

Scotty's link isn't working for me.  Here's another that might...for a while.

As someone who knows the story, I have to wonder how well people who are unfamiliar with the book are able to follow the plot of the movie.  But I agree about this intro.  It is gorgeous (which is why I re-posted it).

#47 2009-03-14 20:52:12

I took a friend who had never read it and he followed along quite well and enjoyed the flick too.

The box office is looking to have dropped about 70% this weekend.  Not a good thing.  Go see this movie folks.

#48 2009-03-14 21:22:52

Scriptwriter implores people to go see his opus.

Last edited by Scotty (2009-03-14 21:23:16)

#49 2009-03-15 10:49:33

I'm gonna see it again on IMAX. Want to see four-term President Nixon again.

#50 2009-03-15 11:29:59

rcade wrote:

I'm gonna see it again on IMAX. Want to see four-term President Nixon again.

My second viewing was an IMAX showing.  It becomes a much better film the second time around and I dare say will with each viewing.

Curious question for you, Rogers:

You say "four-term President Nixon" and most of the reviews say he is in his fifth term.  The movie shows footage of him celebrating his 3rd election win.  How did you arrive at four terms?

Also, had you read the GN in the past?

Board footer

cruelery.com