#2 2009-03-13 10:49:57

Listening to a grownup talk about their latest "tweets" makes me want to head for the woods and start building mantraps.  An actual real person was talking to me in the pub about it and I had the urge to give him one nostril with a broken bottle of Stella.

Anyways...That guy...Nice tits.

#3 2009-03-13 19:37:32

Could this Twitter craze get on with dying a little faster, please?  I honestly thought nothing in the world could be stupider than texting...

#4 2009-03-13 20:37:34

I’m pretty far off the grid, and this self-important twitter bullshit has even shown up on my hate radar.  Facebook is bad enough.

#5 2009-03-13 20:55:41

Almost 30 years ago, there was this book called Real Men Don't Eat Quiche, in which the book's protagonist, Flex Crush, lamented the wussification of the modern man.  If he were to speak today, he'd say, "Real Men don't Facebook or MySpace, and they definitely don't Twitter."

#6 2009-03-13 21:15:12

George Orr wrote:

Could this Twitter craze get on with dying a little faster, please?  I honestly thought nothing in the world could be stupider than texting...

At least texting serves a function...it's to a particular person on a particular topic.  Twitter makes the erroneous assumption that people are so interesting that other people find them fascinating and want to be updated on their every inane thought or action.  I had a friend ask me tonight if I was joining twitter because she wanted to put me on her blast list....I am questioning our friendship.

#7 2009-03-13 21:56:20

AladdinSane wrote:

Almost 30 years ago, there was this book called Real Men Don't Eat Quiche, in which the book's protagonist, Flex Crush, lamented the wussification of the modern man.

Its companion volume, appearing 10 years before, was Peg Bracken's "I Hate To Cook Book." So you see where the trouble started.

#8 2009-03-13 23:09:00

100 Things More Popular Than Twitter

But, hey, it's more popular than the National Hockey League...

#9 2009-03-14 00:08:26

choad wrote:

AladdinSane wrote:

Almost 30 years ago, there was this book called Real Men Don't Eat Quiche, in which the book's protagonist, Flex Crush, lamented the wussification of the modern man.

Its companion volume, appearing 10 years before, was Peg Bracken's "I Hate To Cook Book." So you see where the trouble started.

And I will always wuss out and give in.  I kept getting bitched out by women for not having a cell phone.  “I wanted to be late, but I couldn’t call.”  “Why?  Don’t you want to text me?”  So this year I got one.  2 weeks ago I had a date who asked me if I twittered.

How much technological tool do I have to suck before I turn completely metro?

#10 2009-03-14 00:59:40

“I wanted to be late” means “my hen group get together at Starbucks where we bitch about how awful men are” is more important than your schedule or wishes.  Such a self-centered cunt should be strung along for poontang usage until a better replacement has been secured.  And if you Twitter and Tweet, you will never get your self-respect back!

#11 2009-03-14 01:09:31

"Blogfather"? Blogfather???

I have no sufficient obscenities.

#12 2009-03-14 07:00:49

phoQ wrote:

How much technological tool do I have to suck before I turn completely metro?

You're there, dude. Want my advice, give it all the heave your next trip over the bay bridge.

#13 2009-03-14 10:58:22

He fathered all of those blogs with his massive twitter.

Twats.

#14 2009-03-14 13:27:46

Did we just get called twats?

#15 2009-03-14 13:33:39

Well, if I'm a twat I guess there's nothing to stop me from signing up at the Retort.

#16 2009-03-14 13:45:19

That's what was stopping you -- you were waiting for me to call you names?

#17 2009-03-14 14:17:13

Détente is a beautiful thing.

#18 2009-03-14 14:43:59

You should be greatful, Peggy. If I didn't run Cruel.Com so badly in the last few years we wouldn't be here.

#19 2009-03-14 15:08:04

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/ourblogfather.png

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#20 2009-03-14 18:42:11

rcade wrote:

You should be greatful, Peggy. If I didn't run Cruel.Com so badly in the last few years we wouldn't be here.

Now, now, don't beat yourself up.
Or maybe you should.
Either way, you come here far too little.

#22 2009-03-14 22:43:45

headkicker_girl wrote:

George Orr wrote:

At least texting serves a function...it's to a particular person on a particular topic.  Twitter makes the erroneous assumption that people are so interesting that other people find them fascinating and want to be updated on their every inane thought or action.  I had a friend ask me tonight if I was joining twitter because she wanted to put me on her blast list....I am questioning our friendship.

Texting should have stayed on cellphones, where I can barely admit it belongs. You once had limitations on who you could send a message to, now you can send to a whole list. The network news carried something yesterday on two girls that respectively had about 14K and 36K text messages a month. You can bet half of these are little more than "LOL." Twitter strikes me as nothing greater than an aggregator of everybody's cellphone brainfarts. Barring the fact that I don't want to know what anyone I know is doing from moment to moment. Facebook, which I joined last March but have only been active on since November, has rolled out some UI changes that are utterly repellent and more Twitter-like.

It's not two tastes that taste great together. I considered a FB a bigger brother to MySpace, something more "serious" about how people made connections, networked, and chose to communicate with each other every other day or so...and intended for a slightly older demographic than the high school/college sophomore set. Now sending all the "gifts" and Superpokes are just damned lame, and the Home/feed page is a mess.

#23 2009-03-14 23:18:35

The root word of twitter is twit.

#24 2009-03-14 23:33:34

pALEPHx wrote:

I considered FB a bigger brother to MySpace...and intended for a slightly older demographic than the high school/college sophomore set.

That’s LinkedIn.  I’m on, and hate, that one too.

#25 2009-03-14 23:33:54

Do twinks tweet?

#26 2009-03-15 04:06:12

icangetyouatoe wrote:

Do twinks tweet?

Only if you squeeze 'em.

Board footer

cruelery.com