#2 2007-11-01 15:26:55

The Japs were dirty savages who used POW’s for medical experiments.  The atrocities of Imperial Japan have more or less been swept under the historical rug and Japan has never acknowledged its crimes or made any meaningful restitution.

#3 2007-11-01 15:50:16

It's also a foregone conclusion that the bombs saved more lives than they took.

#4 2007-11-01 15:57:39

opsec wrote:

Yes, the killing of thousands of non-combatants did indeed prevent the need for thousands more combatants to lose their lives in battle.  Some people still have problems with that equation.

#5 2007-11-01 16:15:25

Zookeeper wrote:

Yes, the killing of thousands of non-combatants did indeed prevent the need for thousands more combatants to lose their lives in battle.  Some people still have problems with that equation.

I won't argue with the fact that civilians were targeted, but keep in mind that Nagasaki in particular was an important war production center.  Estimated figures of an invasion of Japan ranged from 500,000 to 1 million casualties on both sides.

#6 2007-11-01 16:21:32

Opie is right about the numbers, I imagine.  Also, we get bragging rights as the first-and-only.  It's hard to make light of it though, at least not if you think about it.

#7 2007-11-01 16:34:19

I find NBC weapons horrific, but there is no denying that the threat of MAD has kept wars limited in scope and size.

Then again, things like this haunt me.

#9 2007-11-01 17:40:00

kim

Reader comment, "Disarming is for pussies!"

#10 2007-11-01 17:46:01

Those poor Japanese.  We dropped a big bad bomb (or two) on them.

Rapeof Nanjing or Bataan Death March mean anything to anyone anymore, I wonder?

http://www.centurychina.com/wiihist/njmassac/nmphoto/womencld.gif

http://www.cnd.org/njmassacre/photos/head1.jpg

"The bodies in the villages, piled up in tens or hundreds, laid in ditches, ponds, fields or among haystacks. The horror of the scenes is hard to describe. Especially women..., their faces were dark, teeth fell, cheeks broken, blood in their mouth, their breasts had been cut off, chest and abdomen had been pierced through, intestines dragged on the ground, lower abdomens had been kicked at, their bodies had been bayoneted randomly."
(Ref. "Photographic history of the atrocities of the Japanese army", DaHua Publishing House, 1946 edition. )

http://www.bataansurvivor.com/pics/big/beheading.jpg

"On the first day, I saw two things I will never forget. A Filipino man had been beheaded. His body lay on the ground with blood everywhere. His head was a short distance away. Also, there was a dead Filipino woman with her legs spread apart and her dress pulled up over her. She obviously had been raped and there was a bamboo stake in her private area. These are instances I would like to forget."

#11 2007-11-01 18:39:38

Odd that this comes up today - I picked up this book two days ago & found it the most disturbing thing I've ever read:

http://images.oprah.com/images/obc_classic/book/2007/road/road_main_219x482.jpg

Set in a post-MAD world, this is much more what I'd imagine a Cruel reality show to be like: cannibalism and catamites.  I cannot believe Oprah chose this for her book club, or that its members got past the scene where the main characters discover and abandon a basement full of people being held and used as meat.

#13 2007-11-01 22:25:46

opsec wrote:

Zookeeper wrote:

I won't argue with the fact that civilians were targeted, but keep in mind that Nagasaki in particular was an important war production center.  Estimated figures of an invasion of Japan ranged from 500,000 to 1 million casualties on both sides.

I knew that "thousands more" was a gross understatement but I was too lazy (and in a hurry to take off for somewhere) to look it up so I just wrote "thousands more".  This isn't a cut and dried issue for me.  I appreciate that there would have been casualties higher than an individual can really appreciate.  Still, I have a hard time with justifying the blowing up women and children to save the lives of soldiers (even hundreds of thousands of soldiers). 

With the possible exception of low yield battlefield nukes (used in massivly open battle fields) nuclear weapons really are weapons of terror in that they are too powerful to be used to target just military and industrial targets without massive civilian casualties.  Nobody is worried about their military installations or factories being destroyed by nukes.  They worry about population centers being destroyed by them.

#14 2007-11-01 22:28:45

whosasailorthen wrote:

Rape of Nanjing or Bataan Death March mean anything to anyone anymore, I wonder?

Not one of the women or children who were killed in Hiroshima or Nagasaki were involved in those atrocities.  Committing atrocities against the civilian people of one nation is not excused by the bad acts of that nation's government or its military.

#15 2007-11-01 22:30:22

DoucheEllington wrote:

I cannot believe Oprah chose this for her book club

I can't believe you are in Oprah's book club...

#16 2007-11-01 22:38:03

Zookeeper wrote:

whosasailorthen wrote:

Rape of Nanjing or Bataan Death March mean anything to anyone anymore, I wonder?

Not one of the women or children who were killed in Hiroshima or Nagasaki were involved in those atrocities.  Committing atrocities against the civilian people of one nation is not excused by the bad acts of that nation's government or its military.

Nor were the women and children at Pearl Harbor.  Or on Guam.  Or in the Philippines.  Or any of the other places that the Japanese slaughtered civilians.

#17 2007-11-01 22:48:33

Zookeeper wrote:

DoucheEllington wrote:

I cannot believe Oprah chose this for her book club

I can't believe you are in Oprah's book club...

I wish I had the patience for the level of tedium I'd have to withstand to get enough entertainment from those boards to justify reading them.  A cursory glance suggests that the people who read & actually understood that book were probably too busy building & stocking underground bunkers to post their "thoughts & feelings."  IMO the folks who posted would be the captive basement dingbats breeding meat for the new millenium.

#18 2007-11-01 23:05:07

The capacity of the bomb could of been demonstrated without either Nagasaki or Hiroshima. 

My step father was in the Japanese camps for 4 years.  He was captured on Corregidor... (this probably means nothing to you all), and he felt it was a monstrous war crime.  He suffered for the rest of his life, from the injuries, disease and the beatings. (his lower spine was fused from being beaten with rifle butts)  He went in to the service weighing 180 pds, came out of the camp weighing 92 pds...

I refused to buy Japanese anything for many, many years.  He went merrily along, buying Hondas, Mitsubishis and the like.  He laughed when he figured out what I was up to. 

There are so many horror stories I could tell, but to what purpose.  He was a medic, and out of the 36000 men who went into the camps with him, 6000 came out.  The Japanese denied the prisoners any medicines from the red cross, and everytime someone died in my Step-Fathers care, he got beaten or tortured... He told me he had over 2000 men die in his arms.

So.... if he could see the crime of the A-Bomb, I would think anyone could.

#19 2007-11-01 20:19:03

Zookeeper wrote:

Still, I have a hard time with justifying the blowing up women and children to save the lives of soldiers (even hundreds of thousands of soldiers).

In most wars, collateral casualties are higher than military ones.  In this case, civilian deaths actually served a purpose. 

Zookeeper wrote:

With the possible exception of low yield battlefield nukes (used in massivly open battle fields) nuclear weapons really are weapons of terror in that they are too powerful to be used to target just military and industrial targets without massive civilian casualties.

This is the reason they haven't been used. 

Zookeeper wrote:

Nobody is worried about their military installations or factories being destroyed by nukes.  They worry about population centers being destroyed by them.

Exsqueeze me?   Civilian population centers are always a secondary concern to military planners.  In the nuclear game, it's the ability to strike back that is important.  Hence facilities like CMOC

On a lighter note, I wonder who's been spamming google to NOT mention Cheyenne Mountain Operations Center.  I find your username highly suspicious Zoo :)

EDIT:  OK, the joke is ruined... I misspelled Cheyenne on the search and got pages of Zoo links.

#20 2007-11-01 23:31:24

What everyone forgets about WWII today is that we won it because we realized we had to become meaner than the sons-of-bitches we were fighting.

That realization is completely lacking in today's "kinder, gentler" politically correct world.  And our enemies are exploiting it for all they're worth.

War is no place for morality.  War is about killing, because if you don't do it, you will be killed.  Morality comes after surrender and treaties, and works only until the next bunch of madmen start the next war.

#21 2007-11-01 23:41:30

Montecore, you surprise me.  I couldn't have expressed that better.

#22 2007-11-01 23:57:03

Montecore wrote:

What everyone forgets about WWII today is that we won it because we realized we had to become meaner than the sons-of-bitches we were fighting.

That realization is completely lacking in today's "kinder, gentler" politically correct world.  And our enemies are exploiting it for all they're worth.

War is no place for morality.  War is about killing, because if you don't do it, you will be killed.  Morality comes after surrender and treaties, and works only until the next bunch of madmen start the next war.

In this case, I wish I didn't agree with you. 

"I watched.... a snail... crawl along the edge.... of a straight razor........... It's my dream.... It's my nightmare....."

It's a path that damages the traveller - I don't know how "American" soldiers would be after fighting the truly vicious on terms that allowed "us" to win.  Maybe it's better to make the fewest people responsible for the most cruelty so we wouldn't have to deal with veterans like those of Sudan.

http://storea.clips4sale.com/accounts8/6484/clip_images/Ballbusting-Bug-Crushing-Babe.jpg

gawd- this image is even more reetarded than the one I intended to post.  oopsy.

Last edited by DoucheEllington (2007-11-03 10:44:52)

#23 2007-11-02 03:14:31

Zookeeper wrote:

opsec wrote:

There are no "Non-combatants" in war - this is a post Korean war myth that has treated us to Vietnam, Afganistan, Iraq and various other nasty outbreaks of  "civilized" violence.  We fight to defeat a civilization, destroy the will of the populace and exert our will upon those who oppose us (Clauswitz, Am Krieg)

The recent emergence of "acceptable collateral damage" has reduced war to minimalist level that has encouraged embarassments such as those inflicted upon us by G.W. Bush.   The minute we stopped fighting for survival war became a reality show and thus unbearable and unwinnable.

#24 2007-11-02 03:20:59

Zookeeper wrote:

whosasailorthen wrote:

As you seek to sterilize war you seek to extend it's reach and power, the less war touches the longer war goes on.

There is a reason we so easily draw the sword here in America, and as you look around and realize all of our buildings lack bullet scars and our sidewalks are not blood stained it may become apparent to you.  The truth is that we  don't know or feel war here, it holds no fear for us - it's just another video clip served up during sweeps week.

#25 2007-11-02 04:34:56

Blessed are the peacekeepers.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9631/peacekeepermissiletestika4.jpg

peacekeeper missile test

Morality and the politics of morality have always had an important place in warfare. War can not be separated from the politics and the eventual endgame you seek. As such the wagers must always keep in mind the effects they have on the populations involved.

Quite awhile before Hiroshima we had already embarked on a campaign of firebombing Japanese cities so that both the infrastructure and the population could no longer support their war machine.

Dropping the Bomb was probably not necessary. I have come to believe that not enough of our military and civilian leaders were able to understand this at the time. Intel was very scarce as to the intent and resolve of the Jap government. We had broken their communications but we had little intel from within country and a malfunctioning diplomatic conduit. Previous assessments had been made on basis of perceiving the Jap civilian population as willing to follow orders to fight to the death if invaded. We had very little intel of how our smashing of the Jap war machine had led to the breaking of their military and governments resolve.

But our missassesment is partly understandable as we had been severely shocked and had difficulty coming to grips with a culture that led to  their soldiers fiercely  following orders to fight to the death on islands they knew they could never hold.

The civilian population was nationalistic and culturally inclined to authoritarianism, but their suffering was getting more dire every day and the country's resolve was broken. After the loss of the Jap Carrier groups, and the beginning of the US firebombing and the loss of support from Axis allies, the Jap Military knew they could not prevail. Their Government was falling apart on the realization that they would have to sue for peace or suffer inevitable  blockade, unstoppable bombardment, unmaintainable infrastructure and inevitable invasion.

The war would have ended quickly without the bomb and without the need for a massive invasion costing another million lives.  But we had not the means in place to properly gauge this at the time.

Along with destruction of there Navy, blunting of their ability to project  force, and partial isolation from outside support and resupply, it took the previous horrifying firebombing of the civilian crowded cities to put enough of a disruption on their infrastructure needed to support war production.

Given how inefficient and costly the carpet bombing was for us, had a dozen Bombs become available earlier I have little doubt the moral argument would have prevailed for its regular use a year earlier. Then it really might have saved tens of thousands of our soldier's lives. But I do not believe that was the case at the point we did drop it.

#26 2007-11-02 11:02:49

opsec wrote:

Zookeeper wrote:

Still, I have a hard time with justifying the blowing up women and children to save the lives of soldiers (even hundreds of thousands of soldiers).

In most wars, collateral casualties are higher than military ones.  In this case, civilian deaths actually served a purpose.

But Hiroshima and Nagasaki brought the scale to a new high.  It was a case of "destroying everything (and everyone) to destroy something".  There has to be a point where it is determined that the collateral casualties exceed the genuine military casualties to an unacceptable level.  Destroying an entire population center reaches that point for me.

opsec wrote:

Zookeeper wrote:

With the possible exception of low yield battlefield nukes (used in massivly open battle fields) nuclear weapons really are weapons of terror in that they are too powerful to be used to target just military and industrial targets without massive civilian casualties.

This is the reason they haven't been used.

They have been used.  Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

#27 2007-11-02 11:06:15

Johnny Rotten wrote:

Morality and the politics of morality have always had an important...

Sorry JR but that's as far as I could bring myself to read.  I just can't read anymore from you after the horrible way you treated HKG.  You need to make things right.  Don't forget to wear a condom.

#28 2007-11-02 05:27:30

Cheap troll. 

But Hiroshima and Nagasaki brought the scale to a new high.  It was a case of "destroying everything (and everyone) to destroy something".  There has to be a point where it is determined that the collateral casualties exceed the genuine military casualties to an unacceptable level.  Destroying an entire population center reaches that point for me.

So you're against bombing, not necessarily nukes.  Also remember that Dresden was a *completely* nonmilitary target.

#29 2007-11-03 01:10:09

opsec wrote:

Montecore, you surprise me.  I couldn't have expressed that better.

Ops:

I have my moments.  Some of my politics would probably surprise people here who think they "know" me.  I personally think that the U.S. is going to have to use nukes again sometime in the next decade.

#30 2007-11-03 01:30:17

opsec wrote:

Dresden was a *completely* nonmilitary target.

Dresden (and Tokyo) is the complete example of why the bomb is more of a publicity tool than an end all weapon.  The bomb merely signaled to potential enemies that we were above and beyond them and it did serve some effectiveness in our negotiations with Stalin. 

But in the end the bomb was the final product of a long ugly war fought tooth and nail the entire way.  It is laughable to play monday morning quarterback 75 years later from the comfort and safety of the living room and an extreme insult to the men who bore the brunt of Banzai charges and prison camp atrocities.  WW-II was a fight to the death, something which is best not second guessed until you've lived it.

And for the record I've walked the streets of Hiroshima, I've visited the muesems and watched the ceremonies.  I saw how the Japanese played up the child card to stir pity while neglecting to mention that they were warned to evacuate all non-military personell.

In the end I walked away feeling that they "got what you get for doing what they did".

#31 2007-11-03 01:51:38

The point gentlemen is to defeat the enemy, destroy him at his very core, instill terror in his entire population and bend him to our will thus insuring he will never rise against us again (gee that worked out great didn't it?).

So I must ask you:

To what purpose do we not target population centers during warfare?   

Aren't the politicians who wrote the rules and started these wars considered non-combatant (illegal) targets?

Is war a game wherein only the poor young men go off to die?

I am reviled by the very concept of these ideas, warfare should be as brutal and bloody as possible.  Everyone should be at risk and there are no innocents.  Your "gentrified" approach to warfare only enable assholes like CheneyBush.  Pull your heads out of your asses gentlemen, sterilizing the conflict means that there are no true reasons to stop it and enables the fucktards that still support it.  Fredrick and Clauswitz were wrong, the Romans were right - kill them all and salt the very earth so that nothing will ever live there again.  As long as politicians can claim that we only kill the "bad guys" the unenlightened (is that you Hillary?) will happily support them in their endeavors.

Churchill was right to bomb Berlin and we should remember that in all conflicts; only then will bush wars (Ha! I made a pun), terrorism and "low-intensity conflicts" cease to be political manuevers of ambitious politicians.

Last edited by Emmeran (2007-11-03 01:55:35)

#32 2007-11-03 17:58:59

War is....

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"

Anything less will result in the quagmires that have been so prevalent in resent history.

#33 2007-11-03 18:08:05

MSG Tripps wrote:

Anything less will result in the quagmires that have been so prevalent in resent history.

An unintentional pun, I suspect, but a good one.

#34 2007-11-03 18:12:17

Taint wrote:

unintentional pun

Never.

#35 2007-11-03 18:43:17

MSG Tripps wrote:

Never.

Yeah. Quoting Ah-nold movies is never droll or hackneyed. "Everyone, pile on Dhallery Clinton!" W00t-ness.

#36 2007-11-03 19:12:55

pALEPHx wrote:

Yeah. Quoting Ah-nold movies.

The quote came from a wimpy fucker named Robert E. Howard. [For the record.]

#37 2007-11-03 19:31:45

Emmeran, I pointed out that Dresden was a nonmilitary target only to contrast it with H&N.  That was certainly not disapproval on my part.   

warfare should be as brutal and bloody as possible.

I'm in full agreement.  Personally, in that we were on a roll, I believe we should have pushed straight to Moscow.

#38 2007-11-03 19:46:36

Who would have guessed a site where photos of defecating japanese porn stars are distributed as the coins of the realm also has such thoughtful and well articulated ideas on this subject?

I find-agreeing with Montecore/H, here, shockingly enough-that enough blame, as it were, isn't given to the Japanese leaders themselves, who so willingly allowed a second bomb to fall before declaring surrender. War is hell. Nuclear war is stupid. But to second guess the decision to drop the atom bomb is, at this point, not only useless but disregards the agonies of the era. Truman was the kind of leader we can only hope to see again someday. In comparison, he makes George Bush look even more like the useless empty rat brained fool than...than he would is you compared him only to say, Nixon.

My opinions aside, we have a great group here. Twisted dildo shaped kudos and leftover porn shoot poop to all.

#39 2007-11-03 19:49:37

MSG Tripps wrote:

The quote came from a wimpy fucker named Robert E. Howard. [For the record.]

Yes, at High Street, we're tremendously concerned with sticking to facts, obeying precedent, and making sure our quotes are cited in APA format.

I will stop pulling your dick now, since you might begin to enjoy it. I have absolutely no relevant opinion on this topic, even if I knew where and what Corregidor was. The Enola Gay's captain was offensive but, nonetheless, accurate. I still can't see wasting my time justifying criminal behavior against war detainees, for either side. We take up our grandparents' ideals not out of patriotism, but from a rejection of our own cynicism.

We get so finicky about what's cruel, don't we?

Last edited by pALEPHx (2007-11-03 19:50:54)

#40 2007-11-03 19:58:14

pALEPHx wrote:

finicky

Now there is a word that is not in my day to day vocabulary.

#41 2007-11-03 21:25:22

fnord wrote:

The Japs were dirty savages who used POW’s for medical experiments.  The atrocities of Imperial Japan have more or less been swept under the historical rug and Japan has never acknowledged its crimes or made any meaningful restitution.

As usual, fnord, you're an idiot.  The reason why the Japanese never had to own up to what they did to their prisoners is because the US gave them a free pass in return for giving us their research data.  We thought that since they were experimenting on human subjects that their data would be better than ours.  In the end the data was worthless and the Japanese who were involved got off scott free.

#42 2007-11-03 22:33:14

Germany has been made to eat shit for sixty years, paying reparations to Israel, a country that didn’t exist at the time, and has paid pensions and damages to the survivors and their heirs.  In addition, Russia disassembled and carted off many German factories as war reparations.  Germany lost territory to Poland and ethnic Germans were expelled from Czechoslovakia, Poland, Russia and other countries.  A ruined Germany had to resettle ethnic Germans from other countries.  Many ethnic Germans died during the forced relocations to Germany.

Japan has never been made to eat shit for what it did to China, Korea, The Philippines and the rest of Asia.  Don’t get me wrong, Germany wasn’t a benign overlord, but Germany’s behavior was saintly in its occupied territories compared to what Japan did.  Japan has never apologized to the comfort women or paid reparations to them.  MacArthur was an asshole to give the sadistic Japanese doctors immunity for using Allied POWs for germ warfare and other medical experiments.

#43 2007-11-03 22:35:46

opsec wrote:

Cheap troll.

How so?

opsec wrote:

So you're against bombing, not necessarily nukes.  Also remember that Dresden was a *completely* nonmilitary target.

No, I'm not "against bombing" in general.  I'm against the kind of bombing we are discussing here.  And I consider the firebombing of Dresden to have been inexcusable for just the same reasons.

#44 2007-11-03 22:39:20

Emmeran wrote:

It is laughable to play monday morning quarterback 75 years later from the comfort and safety of the living room and an extreme insult to the men who bore the brunt of Banzai charges and prison camp atrocities.  WW-II was a fight to the death, something which is best not second guessed until you've lived it.

Bullshit.  By that standard nothing that has ever happened in history can ever be called into question by the next generation.  Bullshit.

#45 2007-11-03 23:39:47

Emmeran wrote:

I am reviled by the very concept of these ideas, warfare should be as brutal and bloody as possible.  Everyone should be at risk and there are no innocents.

No doubt you then advocate the targeting of schools and hospitals.  Geneva Convention?  Fuck it.  We need to give out medals for raping and torturing civilians.  That'll show 'em not to fuck with us.

#46 2007-11-04 01:50:55

I'm sorry Zoo, but you can't convince me that war fought by Marquess of Queensberry rules is less destructive in the long run. 

No matter. My money is on a biological disaster natural or otherwise.  Overgrazing, it happens to the best species.

#47 2007-11-04 05:12:25

MSG Tripps wrote:

pALEPHx wrote:

finicky

Now there is a word that is not in my day to day vocabulary.

Ah, well, that's life. I'm not here to be your Weekly Reader, nor am I "The Sun That Warms." If vocabulary is the only thing you take exception to, then I shall consider myself lucky.

Last edited by pALEPHx (2007-11-04 05:14:01)

#48 2007-11-04 09:25:02

Zookeeper wrote:

No doubt you then advocate the targeting of schools and hospitals.  Geneva Convention?  Fuck it.  We need to give out medals for raping and torturing civilians.  That'll show 'em not to fuck with us.

I see you've fallen hook, line and sinker for the "surgical strike" myth; Yes Zooker we now have the ability to limit the scope of our  mayem and destruction.  We can be at war for 6 years with only a handful of our casulties and a few hundred thousand lesser beings killed on the other side.  Feed the war machine, fan the fires of warfare capitalism, hand out huge open-ended contracts to your friends.

Don't worry, there won't be much blood or destruction on the TV, the churches and schools are safe and the mindless masses will be too busy watching to see who's going to win the next american idol to give a fuck.

I'm beginning to see the logic behind your "safe and sane" warfare.

#49 2007-11-04 09:53:23

Emmeran wrote:

Zookeeper wrote:

I see you've fallen hook, line and sinker for the "surgical strike" myth; Yes Zooker we now have the ability to limit the scope of our  mayem and destruction.  We can be at war for 6 years with only a handful of our casulties and a few hundred thousand lesser beings killed on the other side.  Feed the war machine, fan the fires of warfare capitalism, hand out huge open-ended contracts to your friends.

That was one brilliant masturbatory non-sequitur M&M.  Don't forget to wash your hands.

#50 2007-11-04 13:52:16

fnord wrote:

Germany has been made to eat shit for sixty years, paying reparations to Israel, a country that didn’t exist at the time, and has paid pensions and damages to the survivors and their heirs.  In addition, Russia disassembled and carted off many German factories as war reparations.  Germany lost territory to Poland and ethnic Germans were expelled from Czechoslovakia, Poland, Russia and other countries.  A ruined Germany had to resettle ethnic Germans from other countries.  Many ethnic Germans died during the forced relocations to Germany.

Japan has never been made to eat shit for what it did to China, Korea, The Philippines and the rest of Asia.  Don’t get me wrong, Germany wasn’t a benign overlord, but Germany’s behavior was saintly in its occupied territories compared to what Japan did.  Japan has never apologized to the comfort women or paid reparations to them.  MacArthur was an asshole to give the sadistic Japanese doctors immunity for using Allied POWs for germ warfare and other medical experiments.

Yeah, you're right, they never apologize for anything.  Yeah, you're right that people put Germany through a lot more "restitution" than was required of Japan.   Where you're veering off into your usual douchebaggery is where you somehow have come to the conclusion that the Japanese were somehow worse than anyone else. 

The Japanese did some horrendous things to their prisoners, but one place where you're wrong is that almost all of the experimentation they did was on Chinese prisoners, not allies.  This was probably mostly due to accessibility, but it was Chinese prisoners that they were infecting with black plague so they could feed an army of infected fleas, for example.  That notwithstanding, they never accomplished anything on the scale of the Germans, not that scale even matters. 

You've spent years convincing yourself that other races and nations are worse than yours, and part of your fantasy is that the Japanese were worse than others.  What they did was horrendous, but there is no horrend-o-meter, and nobody gets to say, "sure we bought Japanese information on delivery systems for bubonic plague because we wanted to be able to use it on our enemies later, but damn, we never did the experiments.  Those guys are evil."  And if you think MacArthur was somehow solely responsible for the decision then you're fooling yourself.  We were developing biological weapons already, and that's why we thought the information might be valuable.

Board footer

cruelery.com