#2 2009-04-04 22:06:50

According to the reports I heard on the network news (ABC, NBC), the suspect was not only upset about being unemployed, but feared the Obama government would soon take away people's guns and ammo...

Irony.

Shooting 5 cops and killing 3 will lead to more calls for gun control...

#3 2009-04-04 22:20:37

Because we are currently in the aftermath of The Republican Rape of the Economy, we can expect more unemployed people to flip out, go on public shooting rampages, or kill their families.  This is the end result of years of the government sucking off the weenie of Big Business instead of considering what would be best for the people and social stability.

#4 2009-04-04 22:39:39

fnord wrote:

Because we are currently in the aftermath of The Republican Rape of the Economy, we can expect more unemployed people to flip out, go on public shooting rampages, or kill their families.  This is the end result of years of the government sucking off the weenie of Big Business instead of considering what would be best for the people and social stability.

White Peeps, Black Peeps, Oriental Peeps, flippin out and nailin' cops, citizens etc this last week.  A frickin' shootin' gallery across the USA.   Oh boy, meltdown time, and idiots with weapons.  Lovely just frickin' lovely.

D

#5 2009-04-04 23:36:40

fnord wrote:

Because we are currently in the aftermath of The Republican Rape of the Economy...

If the Republicans raped the economy then the Democrats, rather than ending the rape, now have the economy "pulling a train".

#6 2009-04-05 07:52:30

Geraldo was great last night. Listing all the shootings in the last 6 months and making the 1 connection that links them all ( well almost, he had to backtrack a little). Outraged he was, outraged over all the selfish bastards out there who were all upset they had lost a job.

#7 2009-04-05 22:06:20

One still wonders why they don't just shoot themselves, and not become "family annihilators" or go on rampages against particular institutions/groups.

#8 2009-04-05 23:08:29

pALEPHx wrote:

One still wonders why they don't just shoot themselves, and not become "family annihilators" or go on rampages against particular institutions/groups.

Most of them do, but it doesn't make great news to hear that sometimes depressed people who lost their jobs kill themselves.

#10 2009-04-07 00:42:43

pALEPHx wrote:

My by-no-means-scientific observation, based upon the occasional suicide note/My Space posting that might make it into any story about these things is that the killers don't want to leave their families vulnerable to poverty/homelessness/suffering of any kind.

Heh.

#11 2009-04-07 06:35:02

White Peeps, Black Peeps, Oriental Peeps, flippin out and nailin' cops, citizens etc this last week.  A frickin' shootin' gallery across the USA.   Oh boy, meltdown time, and idiots with weapons.  Lovely just frickin' lovely.

Dusty just about captures it.  People do some crazy shit when they've lost everything and are terrified, humiliated and hopeless.   

Getting up on the pony like Geraldo and yakking about how they are just "selfish" almost reaches the level of stating the obvious.  He gets paid for this?  However you want to judge the people who go postal, just get ready.  As the unemployment rate rises, the yammering masses will probably call for weapons confiscation, which likely will lead a whole new group of crazies to pull out their hunting rifles and blaze some new and bloody trails.  Dig a trench in the back yard and stock up on water, sports fans, because its time for some unfocused payback.

Last edited by Cranky (2009-04-07 06:35:42)

#12 2009-04-07 22:34:17

Taint wrote:

pALEPHx wrote:

My by-no-means-scientific observation, based upon the occasional suicide note/My Space posting that might make it into any story about these things is that the killers don't want to leave their families vulnerable to poverty/homelessness/suffering of any kind.

Heh.

It takes a separate psychopathology to become a "family annihilator." You're right. These people don't want to leave anyone in the wake of their failure. I've still never well imagined suicide, let alone the elimination of a specific group/institution that has "done me wrong." When your focus is as broad as "the government" or "religion," your potential targets are many, and your own involvement fairly insignificant (since you already feel you've loused up your life). Yet, this has been done in churches recently, aside the firebombings that seemed to occur last year. It's when someone gets a burr up his ass about the groupthink that really puts some over the edge. Individuals rarely matter (except, perhaps, in that German school shooting where he targeted mostly women and girls...in which case it's still a group, and probably one that scorned him).

Board footer

cruelery.com