#1 2009-04-05 21:09:19

You'll even forget where you buried the body!

Last edited by choad (2009-04-05 21:09:39)

#2 2009-04-05 22:50:32

I not really sure how much this'll help PTSD patients. We really don't know a whole lot about how the brain works, especially in that area of memory, and it may just be driving trauma deeper.

#3 2009-04-05 22:57:40

I agree with Choad, burying your ex’s body sounds like a better option than taking drugs that mess with your memories.

#4 2009-04-06 02:23:16

Then, there's this take on memory elimination...

#5 2009-04-06 03:56:47

fnord wrote:

I agree with Choad, burying your ex’s body sounds like a better option than taking drugs that mess with your memories.

You mean like this story from yesterday's NYTimes.

#6 2009-04-06 15:36:00

Eventually, they're just going to make a pill and call it "Bleach."

#7 2009-04-06 15:48:30

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is one of my favorite movies of all time.

And a great quote from your article-
"I'm just a rat researcher"...

Last edited by icangetyouatoe (2009-04-06 15:49:08)

#8 2009-04-06 23:41:55

Erasing memories just makes you more likely not to see warning signs when they appear.  Think about it--every time you have a bad experience, you are strengthening your gut instincts...you are training yourself to notice bad shit before it happens.

Besides..every shitty thing you've been through just makes you more thankful of the nice shit.  But on the other hand, it would make it easier to lie to the police after your ex ends up dead, huh?

#9 2009-04-06 23:48:23

feisty wrote:

Erasing memories just makes you more likely not to see warning signs when they appear.  Think about it--every time you have a bad experience, you are strengthening your gut instincts...you are training yourself to notice bad shit before it happens.

Besides..every shitty thing you've been through just makes you more thankful of the nice shit.  But on the other hand, it would make it easier to lie to the police after your ex ends up dead, huh?

Anybody read the original Peter Pan?  Every time he comes in contact with Captain Hook he forgets how evil he is, and he ends up getting stabbed in the hand when he tries to help Captain Hook.  That scene made quite an impression on me when I was a kid.

#10 2009-04-07 22:57:03

feisty wrote:

Too simplistic. Since supposed "gut reactions" really originate in the brain, I figure these--due to the inadequacy of science--are left intact. Misdirecting certain portions of the brain does not necessarily affect other, deeper sections of it.

I don't believe in erasing memories. They make us what we are. If someone chose to go to war in the Middle East, then he (or she) was pretty much asking for eyebleach on a grand scale. If they weren't prepared for it, or didn't have adequate psychiatric services after it, then that's a failing of the VA and military services, in general.

We train these people to kill, predominantly without discrimination or concept of consequence, but we cannot alter their consciences. That will almost always emerge in psychotherapy, which--I would remind--is still frowned upon by active duty servicepeople. You don't get to absolve yourself of the family you killed, and you can't entirely erase the feelings associated with killing, in general. This sort of thing is bullied in as early as Basic Training, and any deviance is regarded as weakness.

#11 2009-04-08 09:10:11

Pain is the only real teacher. Loose the pain and you loose the lesson and the learning.

#12 2009-04-08 15:01:59

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Pain is the only real teacher. Loose the pain and you loose the lesson and the learning.

I don't understand.  Did you capture your pain?  Is it tied up somewhere?

#13 2009-04-09 10:14:22

tojo2000 wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

I don't understand.  Did you capture your pain?  Is it tied up somewhere?

Of course you capture your pain, you own it and it belongs to only you.

Board footer

cruelery.com