#101 2012-11-26 22:40:51

Oh, he was confined for over 2 years without a trial in solitary.  Fuck you Em.

#102 2012-11-27 00:12:14

Dmtdust wrote:

Oh, he was confined for over 2 years without a trial in solitary.  Fuck you Em.

All in accordance with the Uniform Code of Military Justice; and what the fuck did he expect?  He signed those contracts, he knew the price and his whiny little attention-whore self went and broke his oath.  He chose this.

When you take that oath dude it's for real, it's not playtime anymore; this wasn't a specific leak to expose actual wrong doing only a silly self-aggrandizing info dump - he didn't care if anyone got hurt from his actions.  Perhaps no one did, if so we've been lucky but the truth is that we'll never know.

Sad thing is he's gotten exactly what he wanted - attention on a grand scale...
   ...I'd feel sorry for the poor bastard if he wasn't such an embarrassing slime ball.

#103 2012-11-27 02:32:54

St. Emmeram wrote:

...I'd feel sorry for the poor bastard if he wasn't such an embarrassing slime ball.

I agree completely with St. Emmeram. Manning is a homely little faggot so fuck him. If he were a manly man, a football player, a lantern-jawed marine, then we could whip up some support and sympathy. But for an ugly little faggot? For a jizz-felching whistle-and-pizzle blower? You can't support that without endangering your own masculinity. St. Emmeram and I are unanimous in that - and the rest of you are weak as water.

Last edited by WilberCuntLicker (2012-11-27 14:54:14)

#104 2012-11-27 13:26:14

Yes Em, that argument holds up so well... you know, like it did in Nuremberg.  We mustn't have a glimmer of humanity appearing in the militaries fuck-tardness operations, right?

Heaven help us if soldiers start thinking with their humanity, what would become of the economy?

#105 2012-11-27 14:09:01

Dmtdust wrote:

Yes Em, that argument holds up so well... you know, like it did in Nuremberg.  We mustn't have a glimmer of humanity appearing in the militaries fuck-tardness operations, right?

Heaven help us if soldiers start thinking with their humanity, what would become of the economy?

If he had been thinking we wouldn't be having this conversation.  You continue to try to paint this guy as some sort of Ellsberg type patriot, the two incidents are not comparable.

#106 2012-11-27 14:37:43

Cutting through the bullshit...  The young man has taken an oath and is subject to the UCMJ.
I think this is the reality of the situation.

#107 2012-11-27 14:42:57

Dmtdust wrote:

I know you mean well Dusty, but soldiers are not supposed to think humane thoughts.  Battle plans depend upon everyone doing his job.  If soldiers are allowed to make independent moral judgments on the tactics assigned to them, it would cause chaos on the battlefield.  The last thing a soldier needs is for the guy protecting his flank to decide this particular battle is inhumane and not worthy of the fight.

The same goes for big picture strategic decisions.  Individuals in the military rarely get to see the big picture.  They sign on and pledge to follow the orders and plans of their commanders.  It is up to the civilian overseers in congress, not the individual soldier, to make sure the military is not committing inhumane acts.

There are provisions for refusing to follow an illegal order, but this doesn't apply to this kid.

#108 2012-11-27 15:06:48

The kid is guilty as shit and in any other century would have been summarily court martialled and shot. He's also a hero to millions, if not billions of people around the world - myself included. Good luck to him, I'd help him if I could, and I hope he inspires others to such selfless acts of bravery.

#109 2012-11-27 16:04:18

Shartleby The Scrivener wrote:

The kid is guilty as shit and in any other century would have been summarily court martialled and shot. He's also a hero to millions, if not billions of people around the world - myself included. Good luck to him, I'd help him if I could, and I hope he inspires others to such selfless acts of bravery.

Is this you, Achpoon? I can't keep track anymore.

I wouldn't think Achpoon would have spelled court martialed incorrectly.

New Person?  Learn to fucking spell.

#110 2012-11-27 16:13:58

Nope, Shartleby is a Canook.  Or at least posting from a Canookian IP address.

As for Manning, look past the anti-hero facade and you will find a shit heel who decided he didn't like the Army after all because people were mean to him, so he decided to do something stupid to get out.  It happens quite frequently, just not usually involving someone with as much 'access' as him.  He also fucked up big time by doing it in a time when there is shooting going on.  'They' frown upon that.....

#111 2012-11-27 16:19:07

Personally, I'm torn about Manning/Assange.

Given the fact that some of the Wikileaks documents have actually aided in my research because they uncovered information regarding treatment of detainees that I wouldn't have had access to otherwise (and that likely would never have seen the light of day), I'm grateful that it was leaked.  As a terrorism researcher, my biggest hurdle is dealing with the often overzealous use of the "confidential" label to keep information out of public hands.  A lot of this information has no reason to be marked confidential other than to cover government asses for political purposes.  Most of the wikileaks info is actually quite useless to the average person, but quite useful to someone who is trying desperately to access data to build a thesis or a research project from.  As for Manning, I don't agree with some of the terms of his imprisonment, because they do seem unnecessary.  There's no real purpose in being punitive for putative's sake...research has proven that incarceration/corporal punishment are not effective as deterrents.  It's just a dick move on the U.S. government's part because they're butt-hurt that their secrets got out.

On the other hand, Assange is a self-righteous attention whore, and Manning is a fucking idiot.  He broke the law, and he broke it in one of the most boneheaded ways possible.  Most of the information he passed on did more harm than good, both for his fellow soldiers/marines/sailors/flyboys and for our foreign policy.  I think he should be punished, but I still think we're going about it in a very dickish way.

So yeah...I'm fucking torn on this issue.

#112 2012-11-27 16:19:09

Bigcat wrote:

Is this you, Achpoon? I can't keep track anymore.

I wouldn't think Achpoon would have spelled court martialed incorrectly.

New Person?  Learn to fucking spell.

I don't think it's Ahpoopsie, BigCat - there's neither self-congratulation on the perspicacity of his post, nor a long boring discussion of Goya's war paintings. As for "court martialled" - it's an acceptable British spelling - he's probably a brit, or a mick, or a canuck. Either way, he's disagreeing with St. Emmeram, which means he ought to be burnt.

Last edited by WilberCuntLicker (2012-11-27 19:12:14)

#113 2012-11-27 20:13:32

phreddy wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

I know you mean well Dusty, but soldiers are not supposed to think humane thoughts.  Battle plans depend upon everyone doing his job.  If soldiers are allowed to make independent moral judgments on the tactics assigned to them, it would cause chaos on the battlefield.  The last thing a soldier needs is for the guy protecting his flank to decide this particular battle is inhumane and not worthy of the fight.

The same goes for big picture strategic decisions.  Individuals in the military rarely get to see the big picture.  They sign on and pledge to follow the orders and plans of their commanders.  It is up to the civilian overseers in congress, not the individual soldier, to make sure the military is not committing inhumane acts.

There are provisions for refusing to follow an illegal order, but this doesn't apply to this kid.

Bull.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

Last edited by Dmtdust (2012-11-27 20:14:11)

#114 2012-11-27 20:35:34

feisty wrote:

Personally, I'm torn about Manning/Assange.

On the other hand, Assange is a self-righteous attention whore, and Manning is a fucking idiot.  He broke the law, and he broke it in one of the most boneheaded ways possible.  Most of the information he passed on did more harm than good, both for his fellow soldiers/marines/sailors/flyboys and for our foreign policy.  I think he should be punished, but I still think we're going about it in a very dickish way.

So yeah...I'm fucking torn on this issue.

I agree with you on Assange, Wikileaks is a good thing however he is not.

The other thing people need to understand is that Manning didn't receive special harassing treatment, that's just how it's done in the brig.  You don't want to spend time in the brig, you want to get your ass to Leavenworth as fast as possible if you've committed a crime.  The brig is not a prison, it's a punishment institution - my brother spent some time there (before he took to living in penitentiaries), its not a place you want to be.

#115 2012-11-27 20:47:27

A pretty good article on life in the brig

Mind you, as Manning is charged with treason it would be cruel to put him in with the rest of the detainees and they take suicide watch pretty seriously as having this guy off himself on their watch would be embarrassing and most likely career ending.

For fun here is OpNavInst 1640.8A, this is for confinement on shipboard.  You might note that Bread & Water/Diminished rations while confined is still a legal punishment but only for a maximum of three days.

Last edited by Emmeran (2012-11-27 21:04:54)

#116 2012-11-28 11:24:19

Dmtdust wrote:

phreddy wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

Bull.

War is organized murder?  Precisely!  What did you think it was, a big game of gentlemen cricket with rules to protect the players?  Failure to carry out your assignment in the murder plot fucks up the organization part.

#117 2012-11-28 12:19:21

I always find it amusing when humans moralize about killing other humans.

#118 2012-11-28 12:45:20

XregnaR wrote:

I always find it amusing when humans moralize about killing other humans.

Moralizing is almost always amusing to the intelligent observer, fine-tuned to the nuances of hypocrisy. Empathy is also fraught with complications, but I find it a generally superior wayfinding tool.

#119 2012-11-28 14:32:53

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/no … nning-jail

"Bradley Manning: marine commander warned detention was inappropriate
WikiLeaks suspect held at Quantico for nine months despite recommendation of 90 days maximum, pre-trial hearing told"

"Article 13 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice prohibits punishment before trial of any individual, on the same assumption as that in civilian law that a person is innocent until proven guilty. Should the judge be convinced by the defence argument that Manning was subjected to unlawful pre-trial punishment at Quantico, she has the power to reduce his sentence should he be found guilty, or even throw out all the charges."

This contradicts your vindictive take.

Last edited by Dmtdust (2012-11-28 14:37:00)

#120 2012-11-28 14:35:33

phreddy wrote:

War is organized murder?  Precisely!  What did you think it was, a big game of gentlemen cricket with rules to protect the players?  Failure to carry out your assignment in the murder plot fucks up the organization part.

War is what you do to prevent being killed or enslaved.  Our tribe is at war with the "Al Queada" tribe ostensibly because they killed a large amount of our tribe and keep trying to kill more of our tribe and we want to make them stop.

(I still have no idea why we went to war with the Iraqi tribe but we did a damned good job of making them stop doing whatever it was we didn't like)

#121 2012-11-28 14:37:11

Dmtdust wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/28/wikileaks-suspect-bradley-manning-jail

WikiLeaks suspect held at Quantico for nine months despite recommendation of 90 days maximum, pre-trial hearing told"

I hate it when we're inappropriate.

#122 2012-11-28 15:08:34

Emmeran wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/28/wikileaks-suspect-bradley-manning-jail

You qualify in the pathetic range of the human expression.

#123 2012-11-28 15:54:29

Dmtdust wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

When logic and empathy are at odds with Em's sense of security, usually in regard to matters military and nationalistic, he comes out with remarks that make him look like a floundering troll. I can't fault him for looking like a troll - it happens to the best of us - but I do hope he realizes that such comments erode his generally rational persona, casting shadows of thoughtlessness and/or insobriety over everything he says.

#124 2012-11-28 16:04:57

Dmtdust wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

Inappropriate is a far cry from illegal.

Let me help you understand:

Appropriate:  Keeping Manning segregated from the other detainees for his own safety.
Inappropriate:  Putting Manning in a Marine Corps brig instead of an Army prison.
Legal:  Detaining or imprisoning a service member under the UCMJ.
Illegal:  Intentionally disseminating classified information.

Also your quote is wildly out of context:

he informed his superior officer in the Pentagon that in his opinion Quantico was not the right place for the soldier should his detention last long.   

After about seven hours of questioning, Choike told the judge presiding over the court martial, Colonel Denise Lind, that he had been concerned from the beginning that the brig at Quantico was unprepared for the long-term detention of such a high-profile case as Manning. He said he was worried about dealing with the media, about co-ordination of command and about medical handling of the detainee.

#125 2012-11-28 16:34:39

Nuremberg.  You won't get past that.

#126 2012-11-28 18:07:42

Dmtdust wrote:

"Article 13 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice prohibits punishment before trial of any individual, on the same assumption as that in civilian law that a person is innocent until proven guilty. Should the judge be convinced by the defence argument that Manning was subjected to unlawful pre-trial punishment at Quantico, she has the power to reduce his sentence should he be found guilty, or even throw out all the charges."

This contradicts your vindictive take.

Now, this is a different argument and I agree with you on it.  I found it difficult to understand how they could keep him isolated and in shackles when he has not been convicted of a crime.  However, after he is convicted, I would support hanging him from his ankles by those shackles, but not before.

Edit:   I am probably the only one on this board who has actually been incarcerated in a Marine brig (albeit for a very short stint).  I can tell you that even living in the general population is miserable punishment. The answer to your question is smoking dope.

Last edited by phreddy (2012-11-28 18:27:28)

#127 2012-11-28 18:32:40

Dmtdust wrote:

Nuremberg.  You won't get past that.

What the hell does Nuremberg have to do with Manning? 

It's much easier to prove how many lives, both military and civilian, which have been lost throughout history as a result of acts such as Manning's.  He had no idea what was in that data yet he intentionally exposed it and he couldn't have been pointing out wrong doing as there was far too much data there for him to ever have analyzed it all.

Again this is no Ellsworth, just a slimy little man who was mad at the world; the dude was so wacko he leaked the "Collateral Murder" video and when it broke he went to his Army supervisor and tried to convince her it was the same video they had on their servers (which it was).  He was trying to get caught, the dude had a fucked up life and was a complete mess. 

If anything they should be punishing the assholes in the Army who didn't process him out on several occasions and then went and put him in intel. I feel sorry for the guy for his fucked up childhood and horrible decision to join the Army, but he knew what he was doing, he wanted to be caught and he knew what was going to happen when they did catch him.

Last edited by Emmeran (2013-01-10 14:21:51)

#128 2012-11-28 19:03:51

Just keep on that line of reasoning and you'll never come out your personal morass.

#129 2012-11-29 14:36:10

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11 … tico-staff

this will be dismissed as well as someone here is an expert on these matters.

#130 2012-11-29 15:55:22

Seems like there are real experts who don't agree with your local blowhards. Usually when people refuse to recognize a hero it's because they feel personally threatened by his willingness to invert the power structure. You know - "God save the status quo!"

edit: fixed link

Last edited by choad (2012-11-29 16:01:51)

#131 2012-11-29 16:16:57

Dmtdust wrote:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/29/15545923-bradley-mannings-psychiatrist-says-his-recommendations-ignored-by-quantico-staff

this will be dismissed as well as someone here is an expert on these matters.

It was stupid we agree on that, he shouldn't have been at Quantico; as you pointed out the Brig Commander argued against.  I was surprised when they put him there to begin with.  They'll probably knock a few years off of one of his life sentences for time served.

My disagreement is with your refusal to recognize the difference between Manning and Ellsworth or Manning and Assange.

#132 2012-11-29 16:20:49

Seems like there are real experts who don't agree with your local blowhards

Expert?  No, liberal apologist is the correct term for Ms. Cohn.

#133 2012-11-29 16:53:27

phreddy wrote:

Bias does not negate expertise. "Lawyer" is the correct term for Ms. Cohn. I would suggest several correct terms for you, but I'm Canadian, and bound to be polite.

#134 2012-11-29 16:56:18

phreddy wrote:

Bias does not negate expertise. "Lawyer" is the correct term for Ms. Cohn. I would suggest several correct terms for you, but I'm Canadian, and bound to be polite.

Great work, Fartlebee - reinforce the stereotype. Isn't there a Toastmaster's forum you can peddle your bullshit on? In short - fuck off. I've got the Canadian side of things covered around here.

#135 2012-11-29 17:07:22

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

phreddy wrote:

Great work, Fartlebee - reinforce the stereotype. Isn't there a Toastmaster's forum you can peddle your bullshit on? In short - fuck off. I've got the Canadian side of things covered around here.

I'd have to see your IP address to believe that we reside in the same country. I don't know many Canadians who would stoop to ad hominem attacks, which seem to be your primary rhetorical device. Maybe you would benefit from Toastmasters (no possessive apostrophe, thank you) yourself.

#136 2012-11-29 21:06:25

Manning pleads guilty and complains about conditions.

Segregation was obviously necessary but Quantico was a bad choice; can't wait to hear the full story on the underwear thing. 

Interestingly enough he has a history of self-harm:

#137 2012-11-29 21:35:28

Attempting to. a.  lower. charge.  Not the same.  Read.

#138 2012-11-29 22:21:46

Dmtdust wrote:

Attempting to. a.  lower. charge.  Not the same.  Read.

And Dusty takes the bait...

The problem is they've pretty much got him on all charges; LWOP is his future, yes I know that you think he did as accused and you applaud his acts.

#139 2012-11-29 23:18:00

http://blogs.aljazeera.com/blog/america … icide-risk

However, Colonel Robert Oltman, the security battalion commander at Quantico, said that he did not have confidence in Hocter's abilities because of a suicide earlier in 2010 of a detainee under his care. "He didn’t have the strongest credibility with me," Oltman said.

Testifying on Thursday, another psychiatrist who treated Manning at Quantico acknowledged how concerned commanders were that there would be another incident.

Colonel Ricky Malone said they "were determined to not have that happen again under any circumstances".

I'd say that pretty much settles that...

Last edited by Emmeran (2012-11-29 23:22:22)

#140 2012-11-30 00:00:37

I'd have to see your IP address to believe that we reside in the same country. I don't know many Canadians who would stoop to ad hominem attacks, which seem to be your primary rhetorical device. Maybe you would benefit from Toastmasters (no possessive apostrophe, thank you) yourself.

Wilbur arrived starry-eyed and filled with wonder at the opportunity to immerse himself in the finer points of la culture américaine. He was so fresh, so innocent; who were we to deprive him?

#141 2012-11-30 07:31:30

Taint wrote:

Wilbur arrived starry-eyed and filled with wonder at the opportunity to immerse himself in the finer points of la culture américaine. He was so fresh, so innocent; who were we to deprive him?

You are far too kind. I am pretty sure I would have strangled the bugger. He reminds me of one my boys - god help me if I don't want to take off the belt on a regular basis and reticulate his bewalkus. (But I don't - at 6'5" it doesn't quite seem fair - I'll exercise some restraint and wait till he's 15.) Well, it's 4:20, but not the good kind of 4:20, and my work day begins in a double-fistful of minutes. Guess I'd better wash & gird my loins, rub some sanitizer on the arm-pubes and head on down to the pie shop. I only get a little time to myself in the AM and a bit more before I pick the kids up from their grandma's in the afternoon, so I'm on the run, as always.

#142 2012-11-30 09:14:20

Taint wrote:

You are far too kind. I am pretty sure I would have strangled the bugger. He reminds me of one my boys - god help me if I don't want to take off the belt on a regular basis and reticulate his bewalkus. (But I don't - at 6'5" it doesn't quite seem fair - I'll exercise some restraint and wait till he's 15.) Well, it's 4:20, but not the good kind of 4:20, and my work day begins in a double-fistful of minutes. Guess I'd better wash & gird my loins, rub some sanitizer on the arm-pubes and head on down to the pie shop. I only get a little time to myself in the AM and a bit more before I pick the kids up from their grandma's in the afternoon, so I'm on the run, as always.

Ta Ta

#143 2012-12-01 00:12:39

Bradley Manning wrote:

I certainly made a noose

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20563539

Whatever Dusty, he continuously manufactured his own pitiful situations; please let me know when your infatuation with the little twat has finally come to an end.

#144 2012-12-01 13:18:55

His actions, and exposure of the massive military clusterfuck.

#145 2012-12-01 13:24:46

His actions, and exposure of the massive military clusterfuck.  Your constant implying that anyone who differ's from your opinion is gay is getting old, but I like it, it reveals a substrate of your consciousness for all to admire.

#146 2012-12-03 15:22:32

Dmtdust wrote:

His actions, and exposure of the massive military clusterfuck.  Your constant implying that anyone who differ's from your opinion is gay is getting old, but I like it, it reveals a substrate of your consciousness for all to admire.

Of course the military is a complete cluster-fuck right now, our so-called leaders asked them to make crème brulee using only an e-tool and a bucket of watery shit.  So what have our boys given us? Well the only thing they could:  Shit Brulee

Has our military fucked up?  Yes, but not as badly as they could have. Everything that has gone wrong to this point leads right back to the start of this shit show and the politicians who pulled us into this sewer ditch.  Our boys have been set up to fail and now eleven years later they are doing so; Bradley Manning isn't the answer - you and I are.  Manning is just a sad little man who's a victim of this bullshit as much as the Afgani child who's face was shot off.  I pity Manning but that doesn't erase his crimes, he knew better.

You are far better than this Dusty, just come to grips with the fact that this guy isn't who you thought he was or who you wanted him to be.  We respect your approach to the subject at hand but your fixation with turning this loser into a hero is getting old.

#147 2012-12-03 17:22:42

Not Done Yet!

#148 2012-12-03 17:39:39

Emmeran wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

Of course the military is a complete cluster-fuck right now, our so-called leaders asked them to make crème brulee using only an e-tool and a bucket of watery shit.  So what have our boys given us? Well the only thing they could:  Shit Brulee

Has our military fucked up?  Yes, but not as badly as they could have. Everything that has gone wrong to this point leads right back to the start of this shit show and the politicians who pulled us into this sewer ditch.  Our boys have been set up to fail and now eleven years later they are doing so; Bradley Manning isn't the answer - you and I are.  Manning is just a sad little man who's a victim of this bullshit as much as the Afgani child who's face was shot off.  I pity Manning but that doesn't erase his crimes, he knew better.

You are far better than this Dusty, just come to grips with the fact that this guy isn't who you thought he was or who you wanted him to be.  We respect your approach to the subject at hand but your fixation with turning this loser into a hero is getting old.

Well hell, Em, that's why we have judges at trials. So they can make judgements about things like extenuating circumstances and such. Guilty of violating the UCMJ he may be, but that's not the whole story.

#149 2012-12-03 22:22:33

Dmtdust wrote:

Not Done Yet!

You know, probably not the best argument.

#150 2012-12-03 22:23:36

Sssssssh!

Board footer

cruelery.com