#1 2011-08-13 13:30:19

but he never tried to be a father,
did he ever truly exist?

#2 2011-08-13 15:00:47

Emmeran wrote:

but he never tried to be a father,
did he ever truly exist?

In a sense, as a kind of negative:  what not to do if you want to be a good father.  My own was very good and I miss him a lot.

Whatever personal situation inspired this question, you have my sympathies.

#3 2011-08-13 17:14:14

Nobody ever really means to be an asshole, they're just all fucked up inside.

#4 2011-08-13 18:21:38

I am a good father, perhaps a bit too lenient, but I am there.

I am at a loss, not sure how I should feel or what I do feel...

...he took off with a family friend when I was nine and became very wealthy.  I used to be angry but now it's more WTF?

#5 2011-08-13 18:51:37

So, is he reaching out?  I had this happen with my father (different circumstances of course).  A lot of healing occurred.

#6 2011-08-13 20:01:35

He became wealthy?  Getcha lawyer and get him working on getting you a share.  You were abandoned.  That ain't right.

#7 2011-08-13 20:54:33

You also have my sympathies, because you will probably experience very confusing emotions about this.  In the meantime, follow George's suggestion and get a lawyer.  If the family friend he took off with is male, Oklahoma courts will be happy to screw the friend over in favor of biological relatives no matter how many degrees distant or how unconnected to the deceased’s life they were.

#8 2011-08-13 21:14:43

All sound advice, I think it would be best to allow the internal confusion to subside before I make any moves.  The second wife (family friend) is still alive and kicking, this naturally creates unwanted conflict.

Thanks yet again for your kind sentiments and clear thoughts; I'm not sure I feel anything or just feel guilty for not feeling anything.

#9 2011-08-14 00:51:40

NO LINK!

Seriously Em, I'm sorry to hear about your loss, more the original one than the most recent.  Grief is a funny thing, it often doesn't show up when it's expected and sometimes seems to not show up at all.  You're ambivalent for good reason so fuck the demons of doubt and guilt.

#10 2011-08-14 01:22:42

opsec wrote:

You're ambivalent for good reason so fuck the demons of doubt and guilt.

Well said!

And of all places to hear it....

#11 2011-08-14 09:24:43

Old man, Omaha, wealthy... did Warren Buffett die?

#12 2011-08-14 10:43:51

My condolences for the pain YOU feel.

Are you OK with who you are now?

I ask this because if you are, it is important to remember that every event in your life, shitty or joyful, is a causal factor in who you are today.  If you aren't, then use the situation as an example of how not to be.

I can't talk about feelings in this situation because I haven't reached it yet.  Based on the track record, I imagine it will actually be relief because that particular little dysfunctional corner will go dark, and I will be triumphant in knowing that I kicked his sorry ass at fatherhood.

Sounds like you are on the same track.  Hug your kids.  Maybe go do something fun with them if you can handle it.

I am going to go in the opposite direction on the lawyer thing.  If the old man "did the right thing" in the will, then so be it.  If he didn't, do you really want to continue dragging out emotional bullshit that will result in lawyers getting more money?  A bit like divorce really.

#13 2011-08-14 11:48:34

XregnaR wrote:

If the old man "did the right thing" in the will, then so be it.  If he didn't, do you really want to continue dragging out emotional bullshit that will result in lawyers getting more money?

I've started into this discussion and backed out twice, partly because anything I say can and will be used against me by my own loving family, partly to keep my tourettes  in remission. A lifetime's fuckery is toxic and not near worth any fortune. Money won't buy the nurture, affection, and approval you never got.

I take what little comfort I can knowing patrimony was the most common form of murder in ancient Rome, poor is all I know and I have an unshakeable alibi.

#14 2011-08-14 13:37:38

XregnaR wrote:

If the old man "did the right thing" in the will, then so be it.  If he didn't, do you really want to continue dragging out emotional bullshit that will result in lawyers getting more money?

choad wrote:

A lifetime's fuckery is toxic and not near worth any fortune. Money won't buy the nurture, affection, and approval you never got.

After a good drunk and an emotional outburst or two I'm in pretty much the same mind y'all are in; I really don't need anything and I really don't want to revisit anymore of the past than I need to.

#15 2011-08-14 23:09:24

In my family, my mother was the total douche.  When she got knocked up, she demanded that my dad quit his musician work and marry her.  He refused on both counts.  Her response was to take me, move, and changed our fucking names and send him a neener-neener-you'll-never-see-your-son letter from some random out-of-town post office.

Although most of my relatives knew this, nobody thought it should be shared with me until I was 37, and, through my own investigations, about to unravel the truth about why I don't look like my brothers and sister and have a different blood type than all my (then) known relatives, any why my birth certificate was issued 15 months after I was born.

My dad gave up looking for me sometime in my teens.  Apparently he got close enough to actually finding me a couple times that my mother actually sent goons to scare him off.

My mother, when called on this offered as an explanation "oh, well, you know how it is"

Nice mom.

As it turns out, my dad had a life-long music career (still does) and is actually a pretty cool guy who got to miss out on my whole life because of my mother's dedication to being a complete bitch.

On my side, my wife didn't understand for a long time why I didn't really get on with my mother, but when this story finally broke she agreed that my mother is a complete bitch, and that my dad was better off for not marrying her.

I joined the army a couple months after my 17th birthday just to get away from her.  I figured if I was going to have to be around assholes who yell at me and talk bullshit all the time, I might as well get paid for it and get some free school.

That's it... the secret story of the life of Peco.

#16 2011-08-14 23:18:34

Wow.   Quite the tale Peco.

#17 2011-08-15 00:26:45

Peco, one of my in-laws had a similar thing happen to his father.  Wouldn't it be a blast if you're related to me by marriage and changed a detail or two to protect your privacy!

#18 2011-08-15 00:29:15

I'd like to say I made all that shit up, but unfortunately, it's all true.

You can imagine how it unfolded...  growing up looking like an adopted kid... I look nothing like my brothers and sister.

Then I join the army, and my blood tests come back (you need to be typed - never know if you're going to get shot and need blood) different than what I was always told.  I asked the doc if it's possible to get this blood type with parents who are both the same type and the doc said no.  Hmmm.

So one time home on leave (I was about 19) I asked if I was adopted and she has a shitfit but says no.

About 10 years later, I acquired some of ye olde junk I left behind when I moved out 12 years before.  I guess someone either wanted me to know or fucked up.  In the couple boxes of teen crap I left, there was a baby box... a box with a bunch of that stuff that parents keep... the baby book, old report cards, that sort of stuff.  Anyway, the baby book and some of the really old stuff were for a kid with the same first name as me, a similar but different middle and a different last name... that's not so weird, but the same birthday??  Oops.

So I didn't ask about that... I figured I was on to something, and I started checking around.  Yes, I found out that the kid in those baby books was me before my name was legally changed when I was an infant.  How creepy is that?

A few years later, my "father" got liquored up and told my (half-)brother that I was adopted.  That brother forced my mother to come semi-clean.  She told me that another man was my father and gave me a picture and a name, but told me this long story about what an asshole he was, a crook, a layabout, good for nothing fuckstick.  So I let it slide.

In 2002, I happened to be bored, and pissing around on search engines and found the name of my father as a musician giving a concert somewhere I was going to be.  My wife and I thoguht we should go, so I took the liberty of telling my mother.  Mom hit the roof.  Guessing more was up than met the eye, I contacted the guy.

As it turns out, he's not a crook, was a successful musician and business man who owns a little bit of property and is an upstanding member of the community.  Seems my mother made all that shit up.   He, on the other hand, paints a less-than-beautiful picture of my mother that seems to be 100% accurate based on my growing up with the woman, so I am pretty convinced he's not shitting me.

Hard to have a real father-son relationship with the guy though.  We get along, but more as peers.  My mother stole any chance at a father-son relationship that there might have been.  And all her relatives basically backed her up on that.  If I believed in Hell, I could take some comfort in the belief they'll all go there, but I don't just I have to get by thinking of them as dicks.

#19 2011-08-15 00:32:00

fnord wrote:

Peco, one of my in-laws had a similar thing happen to his father.  Wouldn't it be a blast if you're related to me by marriage and changed a detail or two to protect your privacy!

My real father never married, and claims never to have fathered any more children... but he did live in the USA for a while, so you never know.  heh.

#20 2011-08-15 00:33:04

As you can imagine, I have a few strong opinions about child custody and non-custodial parent rights.

#21 2011-08-15 00:45:00

Peco, I didn't think you made this story up, but if it were me telling the story I would change a detail or two to protect my privacy in case somebody who knows me in real life also reads this board.  Yes, its unlikely you can have a father-son relationship with this man because none of the events that create that relationship occurred between the two of you.  The best you can hope for is a good older friend/younger friend relationship and it's worth it to pursue this.

#22 2011-08-15 02:00:06

My brother, who calculates the old man was at sea when he was conceived, also doesn't resemble the rest and has a mismatched blood type. Doubt he's had the courage to check but I'm past caring about fuckwit kin I can't please.

I got the bare minimum in food in and clothing but arguably the best public primary education available anywhere on the planet. On balance, no complaints.

#23 2011-08-15 07:34:39

I am pretty confident that nobody I know in real life, let alone my technophobe relatives reads here :)  My mother has so many toolbars installed on her browser at any time, I'm sure one of them will block this site.

#24 2011-08-15 19:26:54

Em, take the money and run if there is any. If there isn't any, then nothing from nothing leaves nothing. You seem to have grown up well, so maybe his not being around was for the best, so don't let the ghosts of the past mess with your head. Feel sorry for him, not for yourself.

#25 2011-08-15 21:06:48

peco wrote:

Is it true Canadia(e)n women lactate Molson?

#26 2011-08-16 00:33:32

Scotty wrote:

peco wrote:

Is it true Canadia(e)n women lactate Molson?

Nope...labatt blue

Board footer

cruelery.com