#2 2014-10-01 08:35:17

An adult eating spaghetti-O's?  Yeah, jail time seems about right.

#3 2014-10-01 10:08:01

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/spaceghetto.png

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#5 2014-10-01 19:23:13

I can hardly believe that no one here has uttered the super-obvious "Uh-Oh!"
I loved this shit as a kid.  (My sister was partial to Chef Boy-Ar-Dee Ravioli, cold, right from the can, which disgusted me.)  I loved the version with meatballs best.  As an adult I honestly cannot believe I ever ate this shit.  The meatballs look like they are made from cat shit and the taste is just...Well.

#6 2014-10-01 20:06:19

I grew up in a neighborhood with a lot of Italian kids, whose mothers would have sooner shot themselves in the head than serve Spaghetti-Os at their table.  I confess that I sometimes had the orange lips of a confirmed Spaghetti-Os addict. 

Even when my mom actually made spaghetti from "scratch", it was with Ragu, and only took 20 minutes to make.

#7 2014-10-01 22:09:45

GI Spaghetti...

https://cruelery.com/uploads/11_mre_spahetti.jpg

#8 2014-10-01 23:38:25

One look and my stomach still knots 45 years after the fact. There's true nasty.

Near as I can tell, at least one recent MRE chili entree was ripped whole from Diet For a Small Planet.

#9 2014-10-02 09:00:15

Pure luxury.  I carried a mil-spec hardened bottle of tabasco with me throughout my enlistment.  In other words the largest bottle you can buy wrapped in copious amounts of 100MPH tape.

Came up with some very creative recipes.

Sweet & Sour Pork:
Dehydrated Pork Patty MRE
Take pork patty and place inside pouch of apple sauce
Douse vigorously with tabasco
Let soak until human consumable
Chase with coffee powder and sugar packet to get taste out of mouth
Complain bitterly about how K-Rats & C-Rats were better, and how your grandmother's dog back home eats better.

During Desert Shield/Storm, the LRSD unit I was attached to had access to cold weather rations.  No those were actually pretty damn good.  On par with or better than most of the camp food you can buy in REI these days.

#10 2014-10-02 11:05:27

XregnaR wrote:

Pure luxury.  I carried a mil-spec hardened bottle of tabasco with me throughout my enlistment.  In other words the largest bottle you can buy wrapped in copious amounts of 100MPH tape.

Came up with some very creative recipes.

Sweet & Sour Pork:
Dehydrated Pork Patty MRE

The newer MRE's come with mini-tabasco bottles and a heating kit.

Oh those dehydrated meat & potato patties, pure hell when in the desert on water restriction training.

#11 2014-10-02 21:36:39

All it took was one winter campout in Rhode Island, eating frozen Spaghetti-Os right from the can as sleet built up on my Korean surplus half-tent to cure me of them forever. I still get a little taste of bile just from the scent.

And MREs were worlds better than the bland crap I fed myself on for many years as a poor student. $3 a day for rations didn't buy many fancy vittles. When I was a Scout we traded 2 hot and juicy hamburgers for each MRE from jarheads fresh off an Atlantic crossing belowdecks and looked forward to eating MREs whenever we could.

#12 2014-10-16 14:13:53

The following 2013 promotional tweet is stupifyingly real.

https://cruelery.com/img/spaghettios.2013.jpg

#13 2014-10-16 20:11:53

choad wrote:

The following 2013 promotional tweet is stupifyingly real.

https://cruelery.com/img/spaghettios.2013.jpg

I still struggle with the stupifyingly real fact that an internet service which offers up mini-sound bites to & from the masses has become common enough to warrant linkage on High-Street.

#14 2014-10-16 21:12:46

GooberMcNutly wrote:

All it took was one winter campout in Rhode Island, eating frozen Spaghetti-Os right from the can as sleet built up on my Korean surplus half-tent to cure me of them forever. I still get a little taste of bile just from the scent.

Blame the weather, the tent or the Spaghetti-Os, but the thought of Rhode Island still gives me bile.

#15 2014-10-16 21:44:29

opsec wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Blame the weather, the tent or the Spaghetti-Os, but the thought of Rhode Island still gives me bile.

WTF R.I.?

In other news, twice convicted jailbird Buddy Cianci,

....former mayor of Providence, who spent two decades in City Hall[,] is now running for yet another term. Hailed as a savior, condemned as a sinner, the 73-year-old is a fractured city monument who could steal the epitaph from H. P. Lovecraft’s tombstone at Swan Point Cemetery: I am Providence.

#16 2014-10-17 09:09:30

I heard about Scianci while talking to a Boston cop buddy.  We were discussing the finer points of New England political corruption, so of Course Providence & Federal Hill came up.  Good times...

Board footer

cruelery.com