#1 2007-11-09 07:34:27

I hosed the top two left column boxes and moved the High-Street forum link to the top tool bar.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#2 2007-11-09 11:04:07

I just wonder if it won't be difficult for n00bs to find the link with the banner at the top, as it tends to obscure the links.

#3 2007-11-09 11:15:37

I agree.  It should say "Forum" or something.  The first page you see when you hit High-Street hardly even indicates what the page is for and where to go if you want to see something.  The main part is just some random images... at least that's what I get when I go to high-street.org.

I don't think anyone looks for the "local" link at the bottom either.

#4 2007-11-09 11:26:58

FYI: In IE6 the AdSense adds are aligned at the bottom where nobody will see them.

#5 2007-11-09 11:28:22

Roger_That wrote:

I agree.  It should say "Forum" or something.  The first page you see when you hit High-Street hardly even indicates what the page is for and where to go if you want to see something.  The main part is just some random images... at least that's what I get when I go to high-street.org.

My brain's fried. Please suggest something concrete.

I don't think anyone looks for the "local" link at the bottom either.

Front Page do it for you?

This is your site, boys & girls. Everyone can play. Speak now or forever hold your piss!

#6 2007-11-09 11:33:29

Zookeeper wrote:

FYI: In IE6 the AdSense adds are aligned at the bottom where nobody will see them.

Just checked it in IE7 and it looks right.  The problem is only in IE6 I guess (which I normally use).

#7 2007-11-09 11:37:28

As I mentioned elsewhere, in Firefox under certain skins banners over 200 px in height obscure the menu items.

#8 2007-11-09 11:41:13

My IE 6 also shows the ads at the bottom left below the posts.

#9 2007-11-09 11:52:44

opsec wrote:

As I mentioned elsewhere, in Firefox under certain skins banners over 200 px in height obscure the menu items.

I couldn't have imagined a gazzilion banners when I coded for logo height of 200px, and I'm still reluctant to change it, OR play banner nazi.

Next question. Are these ads at all fucking necessary? They really aren't worth $hit to us. Will Google treat us any different if we stuff their ads where the sun don't shine?

#10 2007-11-09 11:54:39

They won't treat us any different, they just won't pay us.

#11 2007-11-09 11:57:39

opsec wrote:

They won't treat us any different, they just won't pay us.

I love this next answer so much I spilled coffee all over my keyboard.

Your call, Opie!

#12 2007-11-09 11:58:33

Ok, I don't see why you shouldn't force people to keep banners to a certain height/width.  I hate when someone makes a banner that is like 400 pixels high or whatever, and it bumps all the messages halfway down the page. 

Set a size, and see if Orange can code his banner program to only accept that size or something. 

And aren't you the one that was pushing for the Google ads?

HAW HAW!

heh

#13 2007-11-09 12:07:24

Roger_That wrote:

And aren't you the one that was pushing for the Google ads?

No. Google is the last place I'd turn for ad revenue. But I honestly don't care and would prefer not to think about it. I have a long and tortured history with advertisers. They make me sound like you when you're double broiling a troll.

#14 2007-11-09 12:59:51

HAHAHAH... Ok, well like I said, I could care less personally one way or the other for or against ads.  That's up to you all.

#15 2007-11-09 13:35:36

I will put up with many things for my High Street fix, and ads are certainly one of them. 

*turns off adblock for high-street.org*

#16 2007-11-09 13:39:16

Choad wrote:

Next question. Are these ads at all fucking necessary? They really aren't worth $hit to us. Will Google treat us any different if we stuff their ads where the sun don't shine?

Choad,

I, like most browsers, dislike ads.  That said, I have no problem with ads here if they support the site.  In fact, if they're paying on click throughs, I think all of us should take the time to hit handful of them each time we log in.

#17 2007-11-09 03:00:22

phreddy wrote:

I, like most browsers, dislike ads.  That said, I have no problem with ads here if they support the site.  In fact, if they're paying on click throughs, I think all of us should take the time to hit handful of them each time we log in.

A month of our current traffic volume won't cover the cost of a single fatty.

If High-Street rockets as it should - damnit, there's talent and attitude here to spare - then ads will underwrite a Deviant Blowout to remember, and then some.

And at that point, you don't mind my saying so, fuck Google and the whores they rode in on. We'll find our own merchants, people who entertain us and products we can lampoon!

If this place doesn't make you laugh until you piss yourself at least once a week, we're doing something wrong.

#18 2007-11-09 15:05:00

phreddy wrote:

In fact, if they're paying on click throughs, I think all of us should take the time to hit handful of them each time we log in.

That would be illegal according to their TOS. Don't do it, or Google will yank the rug, and nobody gets paid. They monitor IPs very closely and know if multiple click-thrus are coming from individuals.

It would be a lot nicer (and probably more profitable), if everyone just donated a single dollar via PayPal whenever the mood struck them.

#19 2007-11-09 15:32:19

We've had ads for a couple of days, there has not been enough time to estimate what kind of money is coming in. Give it some time, particularly since we addressed a bunch of the Google issues, and then we can decide if it is worth it.

#20 2007-11-09 15:40:10

orangeplus wrote:

Give it some time, particularly since we addressed a bunch of the Google issues, and then we can decide if it is worth it.

Like I said, that's one issue I'll happily ignore, until that happy day when we product test the world's first orgasmatron. And so there's no confusion later, I claim first dibbs!

Board footer

cruelery.com