#1 2009-12-20 22:41:29

Other than the fact it was filled with granola, crunchy goodness, one dimensional characters, shitty music, and a trite but happy ending, cinemagraphically it was lush and beautiful to watch.

Anyone else seen it?

#2 2009-12-20 23:00:40

Taint wrote:

Anyone else seen it?

Not going until someone I trust  swears to me that Celine Dion doesn't sing over the credits.

#3 2009-12-20 23:10:26

Did you see it in 3-D?  I hear that is where much of the money was spent.

#4 2009-12-20 23:21:16

MSG Tripps wrote:

Did you see it in 3-D?  I hear that is where much of the money was spent.

And that was pretty cool. They took full advantage of it which made it fun. And Monte, I didn't even notice Celine, lost as she was in the New Age soundtrack. She didn't really stand out because it was all pretty unremarkable.

#5 2009-12-20 23:28:32

Taint wrote:

Monte, I didn't even notice Celine, lost as she was in the New Age soundtrack. She didn't really stand out because it was all pretty unremarkable.

Does that mean she's in it?  Then feh - I'm not going.  I'm only just now recovering from that multi-orgasmic cat impression she did at the end of Titanic.

#6 2009-12-21 18:44:11

Taint wrote:

Other than the fact it was filled with granola, crunchy goodness, one dimensional characters, shitty music, and a trite but happy ending, cinemagraphically it was lush and beautiful to watch.

Anyone else seen it?

This is why I don't waste my time with animated features.  Regardless of how clever or "ground breaking" they are supposed to be, they are all filled with crunchy goodness, cutsey characters, and sappy endings.

#7 2009-12-21 18:48:31

phreddy wrote:

Taint wrote:

Anyone else seen it?

This is why I don't waste my time with animated features.  Regardless of how clever or "ground breaking" they are supposed to be, they are all filled with crunchy goodness, cutsey characters, and sappy endings.

Catch it when it comes out on Netflix, it really is gorgeous. You'll want to be eating a rare double bacon cheeseburger when you do, though. You'll need something to make all the New Age pap more palatable.

#8 2009-12-21 19:00:07

kim

I have seen ONE preview for this movie and it was at the theater ... I can't remember what I was seeing at the time, but anyway

I FUCKING HATE CGI! I am so sick of it. I am also sick of 3D movies! Any movie that I have seen in 3D was in 3D because it was fucking terrible!

There are three movies that make CGI "okay"

Pirates, LOTR, and Harry Potter. Other than that all I want is for movies to have REAL action, story, adventure and to be actually fucking entertaining! Think True Lies and Terminator 2. Such good action movies, and while T2 did use CGI to this fucking day it still looks awesome = good quality CGI.

Hollywood: 'the fuck?

#9 2009-12-21 21:29:58

I have seen only one movie in the last 5 years where the CGI was special and added something wonderful to the movie without just being about the CGI: Night Watch

Day Watch was almost as good, but it missed the "surprise" effect of the CGI, loosing all of the dream-like qualities.

#10 2009-12-21 21:30:22

SPOILER IF YOU CLICK:

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/430_avatar.png

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

Last edited by karenw (2009-12-21 21:30:41)

#11 2009-12-21 21:43:52

GooberMcNutly wrote:

I have seen only one movie in the last 5 years where the CGI was special and added something wonderful to the movie without just being about the CGI:

I liked the Watch movies a lot; but come on--Jurassic Park?

Oh, okay, 1993 and you said "the last 5 years."  Never mind.

Give it another look, though, and tell me the CGI doesn't still look fantastic.  Hell, I think I'll go plug that sucker in right now...

#12 2009-12-22 01:11:59

GooberMcNutly wrote:

I have seen only one movie in the last 5 years where the CGI was special and added something wonderful to the movie without just being about the CGI: Night Watch

Day Watch was almost as good, but it missed the "surprise" effect of the CGI, loosing all of the dream-like qualities.

I really wanted to like "Night Watch" but just couldn't get into it. Maybe I should try again.

#13 2009-12-22 09:03:19

George Orr wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

I have seen only one movie in the last 5 years where the CGI was special and added something wonderful to the movie without just being about the CGI:

I liked the Watch movies a lot; but come on--Jurassic Park?

Oh, okay, 1993 and you said "the last 5 years."  Never mind.

Give it another look, though, and tell me the CGI doesn't still look fantastic.  Hell, I think I'll go plug that sucker in right now...

The CGI may look fantastic. It did for the time. But the movie (and most CGI intensive movies) was pretty much built on the "look what we can do with the special effects" plot line. They shovel the CGI at you, faster and faster until you just cease to be surprised, your brain saying "yeah, those are cool effects, I wonder what they will cook up next". You loose any pretense of the plot or acting or non special effects. The purpose of CGI and special effects in general should be the enhancement of an already good movie, not just an excuse to show off how many parallel pixel shaders you can bring to the rendering job or how many 3D objects you can animate in one scene. (example: All recent Star Wars movies).

What was great about the Night Watch movie was that the CGI was hard to detect at times, or just popped up for brief intervals, like spice in an already savory dish.

#14 2009-12-22 12:31:53

GooberMcNutly wrote:

The purpose of CGI and special effects in general should be the enhancement of an already good movie, not just an excuse to show off how many parallel pixel shaders you can bring to the rendering job or how many 3D objects you can animate in one scene.

Exactly. Almost every second of special effects and CGI is a second removed from the plot. Sure it can be used to advance the plot, as in going from point A to point B (while wrecking shit the whole way). An episode of Star Trek has more story than most any three modern films. And why? Partly because of the transporter. You can't wreck shit on the way to the planet's surface using the transporter. Oh, if the plot called for it they'd drag out the old shuttle and have it explode around Spock but not usually. Had George Lucas helmed the Star Trek series there would have been shuttle crashes in every episode.

As cheesy as the acting is, I would rather watch something like The Man From Earth than a film overly padded with special effects. Give me story.

#15 2009-12-22 12:46:19

nfidelbastard wrote:

I would rather watch something like The Man From Earth than a film overly padded with special effects. Give me story.

It has Tony Todd?!  Netflixed!  Thank you.

#16 2009-12-22 13:16:49

George Orr wrote:

nfidelbastard wrote:

I would rather watch something like The Man From Earth than a film overly padded with special effects. Give me story.

It has Tony Todd?!  Netflixed!  Thank you.

You're welcome. Don't expect a character such as the Candyman though. I did think he was one of the better actors in this film. This was just a good story told in a interesting manner. And nothing goes boom, nor does it need to.

#17 2009-12-22 14:29:14

I still have my poster from TMHFTE... some wonderful dialogue in that film.

#18 2009-12-22 14:55:28

Not a fan of CGI, but Gollum was pretty damn cool.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_Ql-JLY3lvei7M:http://hobbitalk.wikispaces.com/file/view

#19 2009-12-22 14:59:44

phreddy wrote:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_Ql- … /file/view

I just re-watched the whole nine-or-so hours of that last weekend, and was mildly surprised at how well Gollum holds up.  He still looks repulsively real.

Last edited by George Orr (2009-12-22 15:00:04)

#20 2009-12-22 15:16:39

George Orr wrote:

phreddy wrote:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_Ql- … /file/view

I just re-watched the whole nine-or-so hours of that last weekend, and was mildly surprised at how well Gollum holds up.  He still looks repulsively real.

I've yet to watch any of that tripe

#21 2009-12-22 15:20:27

Emmeran wrote:

I've yet to watch any of that tripe

It's a mostly-not-bad adaptation, surprisingly well acted (for the most part--it's a big cast) and truly, eye-poppingly gorgeous for virtually every frame.  And there are a LOT of frames; the DVD versions really do total about nine hours.

#23 2009-12-22 22:02:47

nfidelbastard wrote:

As cheesy as the acting is, I would rather watch something like The Man From Earth than a film overly padded with special effects. Give me story.

Netflixed as well. I think I read the short story it was based on when I was 14. It stays with me still.

#24 2009-12-23 12:58:50

Here it is to watch...

Last edited by Dmtdust (2009-12-23 13:01:51)

#25 2009-12-24 12:50:37

Thanks. I know they won't get $12 from me. Another LOTR with tall people instead of short ones. I didn't even finish it.

#26 2009-12-31 01:16:29

The story was the usual PC pabulum; greedy evil people, most of them White, attempt to destroy natives to steal resources from their land.  A few of the greedsters wake up to varying degrees and help the simple but wise and noble natives protect Mother Nature from White Greed.  After much carnage, the evil Whites are driven out, the surviving natives live happily ever after, and after the final credits the Native Princess and The Culturally Assimilated Hero no doubt fuck their brains out.  That said, the world the natives were protecting is stunningly beautiful and the battle scenes were outstanding.  The sex wasn’t much, but the violence was excellent!

#28 2009-12-31 14:24:37

It has a satire tag at the top, Sweeetums.

#29 2009-12-31 15:05:58

fnord wrote:

That said, the world the natives were protecting is stunningly beautiful . . .

Of course it was.  Most of it was ripped-off di-rectly from Roger Dean drawings.  I found that to be slightly an-noying.  Though, not as an-noying as the fact that they chose the rather ridiculous name of "unobtainium" for the re-source that the humans were after.

#30 2009-12-31 15:10:39

Decadence wrote:

Though, not as an-noying as the fact that they chose the rather ridiculous name of "unobtainium" for the re-source that the humans were after.

It's a stupid term, to be sure, but Cameron didn't invent it.

Board footer

cruelery.com