#1 2010-04-19 17:11:31

Fuck. That. I just saw that commercial on hulu--fuck everything about that. Fuck the unrealistic hopes, fuck the cock calling his kid "princess," fuck the MTV/Sweet Sixteen sense of entitlement, fuck the unrealistic expectations that ensure everyone is disappointed, and fuck Disney for funneling all that emotional manipulation money right into their own gullet.

Seriously, everybody I know who had one of those expensive dream weddings was so focused on it that they didn't realize their husband-to-be was a dick, a homo, or both. Here's an idea for a series you'll never see: "Young Couples who Really Love Each Other, but are Just Starting Their Careers, and Must Therefore Have Tasteful Weddings for Under $3000, and Will Still be Married (to Each Other) in Thirty Years"

#2 2010-04-19 17:27:27

Here, Ah, have some Kool-Aid. You'll feel better, much better, afterward.

#3 2010-04-19 17:36:40

Disney has been doing wedding packages for some time now.  I first heard about it a few years back.  I do not have the words for how appalling I find the idea of getting married at Disneyland.  And of course it costs the earth.

I remember discussing it with a co-worker, who allowed that she had an old school friend who would probably kill to have a Disney wedding.  It takes all kinds...We got all kinds.

#4 2010-04-19 18:24:31

Taint wrote:

Here, Ah, have some Kool-Aid. You'll feel better, much better, afterward.

I'm just sick of the commercials where a guy gets his girlfriend a Lexus with a bow on it, or a diamond for Arbor Day, or whatever. I'm an interesting guy, good at what I do, but I don't make that kind of money. Commercials like this Disney one or the diamond one set up this universe where, in order to love your partner or be worthy of her love, you should be able to drop fifty grand just to make her feel special. It's the way they make that kind of spending look--a combination of casual and necessary--that pisses me off.

#5 2010-04-19 18:47:00

I realize the Wedding Day is the focus of a great deal of heterosexual female fantasy, but my suggestion to any male faced with the prospect of a Disney wedding is run for your life and financial health!  The type of woman who would insist on this kind of outrageous fantasy princess event is certain to be a shallow materialistic narcissistic bitch who sees a husband as an ATM machine.

#6 2010-04-19 18:57:21

The very thought makes me shudder. I am the anti Disney princess.

#7 2010-04-19 19:10:28

ah297900 wrote:

Commercials like this Disney one or the diamond one set up this universe where, in order to love your partner or be worthy of her love, you should be able to drop fifty grand just to make her feel special. It's the way they make that kind of spending look--a combination of casual and necessary--that pisses me off.

That's just the male equivalent of how marketing makes women feel:  If you have a few extra pounds, if your teeth are not a blinding artificial white, if your hair is not silken, if your eyelashes are not "plumped," and so on, and on--you are not worthy of love.

I'll tell you what:  If my man presented me with a car in the driveway with a bow on the roof, I'd have a fit.  I want to pick out my own fucking car, you condescending bastard; no BJs for a month.

#8 2010-04-19 19:14:53

George Orr wrote:

ah297900 wrote:

Commercials like this Disney one or the diamond one set up this universe where, in order to love your partner or be worthy of her love, you should be able to drop fifty grand just to make her feel special. It's the way they make that kind of spending look--a combination of casual and necessary--that pisses me off.

That's just the male equivalent of how marketing makes women feel:  If you have a few extra pounds, if your teeth are not a blinding artificial white, if your hair is not silken, if your eyelashes are not "plumped," and so on, and on--you are not worthy of love.

I'll tell you what:  If my man presented me with a car in the driveway with a bow on the roof, I'd have a fit.  I want to pick out my own fucking car, you condescending bastard; no BJs for a month.

I've often said that men have issues about their finances in the same way women have issues about their bodies or appearance. The response I always get? Women say, "Hey, I care about money too." They don't believe me when I tell them the onus to make money--lots of money--is different for men, more a part of our identity than a question of resources.

#9 2010-04-19 22:06:56

George Orr wrote:

When you marry an Italian

[I posted this here (improperly) in Jan.]

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#10 2010-04-19 23:49:22

I live in the shadow of the mouse and am always a little skeeved out by adults who are Disney fans. I guess it's OK when you are between 4 and 10, but after that your need to immerse yourself in what is really a little low-grade cosplay sightseeing is pretty pathetic. And people with annual passes and no children? They should be put on the sex offenders watch list immediately!

Board footer

cruelery.com