#1 2009-12-07 19:29:19

I need a recipe for Black Forest Cake.

I need to have it ready Thursday evening.  It's a special birthday request.

I'm searching the intarw3bs for recipes, but you know how that is; every no-taste pig in the world posts "special recipes" which start with a box of cake mix and then add their own little "touches" like Cherry Coke and the like.

If you could just direct me to a website with decent recipes I'd be ever so grateful.

#2 2009-12-07 20:59:50

My standby has always been Epicurious: it got me through many tight spots at the restaurant but they only have a couple of recipes for Black Forest Cake. Nonetheless, they look like solid recipes.

Just as a quick aside, I ran through several of my most likely cookbooks to have that recipe: I can't find it in any of them. I wouldn't have thought it was such a difficult recipe to track down.

#3 2009-12-07 21:00:34

http://www.epicurious.com/

I've made a few cakes from there with good results.  Never a black forest one though.  This one is to die for:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ … ake-101275

But a lot of work and relatively expensive.

#4 2009-12-07 21:02:41

If I'd been thinking straight I'd have thought of Epicurious myself.  I've snagged several good recipes from there in the past.

Thanks, guys.

#5 2009-12-07 21:13:51

I'm going to try this.  I can't bake for shit and I may very well fuck it up, but damn it looks yummy.

#6 2009-12-07 21:53:03

while we're on the recipe thread again, Taint:  Any good recommendations for a unique christmas cookie that isn't deeply involved?  I'm doing a cookie bake with some girlfriends and we're doing the standby choco chip and snickerdoodles, but maybe there is something interesting I am missing that I haven't made before...

Also, any good biscotti recipes?  I have plenty of my own standbys (being italian and all) but I'm always curious to hear other favorites.

#7 2009-12-07 22:30:58

George Orr wrote:

I'm going to try this.  I can't bake for shit and I may very well fuck it up, but damn it looks yummy.

It sounds great. Years ago, Gourmet ran a recipe for black pepper butter cookies and I made them and loved them. Alas, I have never been able to find the recipe, even on Epicurious. Those were some of the most interesting - and still tasty - cookies I ever made.

#8 2009-12-07 22:36:06

Roger_That wrote:

while we're on the recipe thread again, Taint:  Any good recommendations for a unique christmas cookie that isn't deeply involved?  I'm doing a cookie bake with some girlfriends and we're doing the standby choco chip and snickerdoodles, but maybe there is something interesting I am missing that I haven't made before...

Also, any good biscotti recipes?  I have plenty of my own standbys (being italian and all) but I'm always curious to hear other favorites.

I tend to the pretty basic: sugar cookies, oatmeal cookies, and peanut butter cookies. I did, however, make about 20 bau, Chinese steamed dumplings, filled with red bean paste. I froze most of them, for noshing on during the week while I write. The leftover red bean paste will probably be spread on toast.

#9 2009-12-07 23:32:09

Taint wrote:

It sounds great. Years ago, Gourmet ran a recipe for black pepper butter cookies and I made them and loved them. Alas, I have never been able to find the recipe, even on Epicurious. Those were some of the most interesting - and still tasty - cookies I ever made.

Is this them?

#10 2009-12-08 00:17:09

George Orr wrote:

I had some WONDERFUL black forest torte in the south of England some years back.  They asked if I wanted 'cream' on it, and I said 'yes' and assumed it would be whipped cream... instead, they brought out a small pitcher and poured a smothering load of Somerset cream over the cake.  At first I was disgusted, but then I took a taste... it was, as God is my witness, the most heavenly thing I've ever tasted.

#11 2009-12-08 00:30:39

George Orr wrote:

Taint wrote:

Is this them?

Dump your husband and run away with me George.

#12 2009-12-08 00:32:06

Taint wrote:

Dump your husband and run away with me George.

Send me some of those cookies and I'll think about it.

#13 2009-12-08 00:40:33

whosasailorthen wrote:

George Orr wrote:

I had some WONDERFUL black forest torte in the south of England some years back.  They asked if I wanted 'cream' on it, and I said 'yes' and assumed it would be whipped cream... instead, they brought out a small pitcher and poured a smothering load of Somerset cream over the cake.  At first I was disgusted, but then I took a taste... it was, as God is my witness, the most heavenly thing I've ever tasted.

A very dear friend here in SF is English - although after nearly 20 years, quite Americanized - and frequently pours cream over baked goods such as cake and brownies. It's always struck me as a little weird but it does taste good.

#14 2009-12-08 01:46:51

kim

http://www.tastespotting.com

and http://www.latartinegourmande.com/

are common sites I use for recipes.

I'm sticking to homemade gingerbread cookies this year for my xmas party because I am going to make it easy on myself. Fucking holiday parties.

#15 2009-12-08 09:48:51

OH that's right, I'm gonna make ginger snaps!  YUMM.

Thanks for reminding me, kim. 

I think I will go with choco chip, sugar cookies, and ginger snaps.  Maybe some peanut butter with the hershey's kiss in the  middle.

#16 2009-12-08 17:20:51

kim

Here is a site basically dedicated to cookies:

http://www.culinaryconcoctionsbypeabody.com/

#17 2009-12-08 18:25:07

While we're on the subject, I have recently inherited a gingerbread house mold set that I have no idea how to use. It's not the standard flat pan, but looks something like a wooden house model with external locking bars. Anyone have any idea about how to use it?

#18 2009-12-08 18:46:57

Paul, got me on that one.  Maybe Taint will know.

I love Taint Cooking Threads!  Hahah!

#19 2009-12-08 19:21:43

Roger_That wrote:

Paul, got me on that one.  Maybe Taint will know.

I love Taint Cooking Threads!  Hahah!

Mystery to me, as well. I've never used one. Even my search through my older cookbooks - some from the 1940s and earlier - don't turn up anything.

Tall Paul, you'll have to let us know what you learn.

#20 2009-12-08 19:43:54

kim

does it stand upside down when put together? I believe you are supposed to line it with gingerbread and bake it upside down.

Last edited by kim (2009-12-09 19:57:52)

#21 2009-12-08 20:03:40

kim wrote:

Taint: does it stand upside down when put together? I believe you are supposed to line it with gingerbread and bake it upside down.

Again, no clue. I wonder if it isn't designed to bake a solid cake from batter as opposed to individual walls which are then adhered together.

#22 2009-12-08 20:16:57

Tall Paul wrote:

While we're on the subject, I have recently inherited a gingerbread house mold set that I have no idea how to use. It's not the standard flat pan, but looks something like a wooden house model with external locking bars. Anyone have any idea about how to use it?

Pictures would help.

#23 2009-12-08 20:20:29

kim

Taint wrote:

kim wrote:

Taint: does it stand upside down when put together? I believe you are supposed to line it with gingerbread and bake it upside down.

Again, no clue. I wonder if it isn't designed to bake a solid cake from batter as opposed to individual walls which are then adhered together.

put it together and put on a table upside down, it should stand up on two "legs"

if not then I have no idea what it is

#24 2009-12-08 21:41:54

In the immortal words of Angie, it sure is getting smurgly in here.

#25 2009-12-09 18:43:01

Any good recommendations for a unique christmas cookie that isn't deeply involved?

I always get good responses to these ....
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food … index.html

I have friend who told me he'd be able to eat any number of cookies I put in front of him. I gave him six of these - less than halfway through the first one he he looked at me and said fuck you, fuck you to hell ...
but he refused to allow anyone else to have any of them.

#26 2009-12-09 19:24:22

Well, it's chilling in the fridge.

I wrecked my kitchen.  It took me nearly as long to clean up as it did to assemble the damn thing.  I am a complete fuckup when it comes to baking.

It looks pretty.  I hope it tastes good.

#27 2009-12-09 19:28:24

George Orr wrote:

Well, it's chilling in the fridge.

I wrecked my kitchen.  It took me nearly as long to clean up as it did to assemble the damn thing.  I am a complete fuckup when it comes to baking.

It looks pretty.  I hope it tastes good.

Appearances are 9/10ths of the law. Or is that possession? I get them confused. Good luck. I'm sure it's delicious.

#28 2009-12-09 19:50:21

whosasailorthen wrote:

Tall Paul wrote:

Pictures would help.

They certainly would! I doubt I can get them online today, but I'll do it within the next two days.

#29 2009-12-16 00:06:50

Took longer than I thought, but here be de pics:

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/634_dscf3279.jpg

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/634_dscf3280.jpg

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/634_dscf3281.jpg

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/634_dscf3283.jpg

The mold has been oiled, and I have a vague memory of parts of it being in the oven, but that might be wrong. I'm thinking now that it was meant to be a set of patterns for the house parts, which would cut from sheets of baked gingerbread. I can't really see how else to use this thing. Any better ideas will be very welcome. Larger pictures are available here.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

Last edited by Tall Paul (2009-12-16 00:24:43)

#30 2009-12-16 00:26:37

kim

Do an ebay search and that might help find newer models and give you an idea. I have seen metal ones similar to that but do not know well enough how to use it to give any real useful advice.

#31 2010-10-22 20:34:26

White Chicken Chili, Taint. 

My dead mother made this once or twice and I have been wanting to make some for the past ten years of my life without her.  Come through.  No pressure though.

I made this tonight, omitting the corn and substituting monterrey jack for the cream cheese.  As it came out I think it needs a Tbsp. less lime juice(maybe half what the recipe calls for), 1/2 lb. more chicken, another can of beans(maybe canellini or navy to mix things up) and only half the green chilies.

I am looking for something thicker and heartier but not necessarily the recipes that use broth and half and half.  Unless of course you think the recipe would turn out well without the roux.  I can't imagine the roux, even as lightly cooked as possible is going to leave the aesthetic of "white" chili intact.  I also think the half and half would make the recipe too sweet.

So.  Whatchoo got?

Last edited by Scotty (2010-10-23 19:53:52)

#32 2010-10-22 20:42:23

George Orr wrote:

If I'd been thinking straight I'd have thought of Epicurious myself.

And I love this post for it's unintentional hilarity.

#33 2010-10-22 22:33:19

You put that stray apostrophe there just to get on my nerves.

#34 2010-10-23 19:45:22

Woops. Sorry, y'all. I've been doing a funeral in Washington state. I'm at SeaTac getting buzzed on some veddy, veddy lovely red wines waiting for my flight home.

#35 2010-10-23 19:51:48

Blue (Point Reyes) instead of parmesan in risotto.

Discovered that all by myself.

#36 2010-10-23 20:44:35

Anyone have a novel clam recipe? I spent the afternoon digging soft shells - the ones with the honking big dick - and there's more than enough for chowda. Sneakers are soaked and muddy and I'm a walking whiff of low tide.

https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/header/wo-42_clams.jpg

Last edited by choad (2010-10-23 20:45:04)

#37 2010-10-23 21:56:54

The only clam recipe I know is linguine w/ red clam sauce, which you probably aren't interested in.  I don't even know if it would work with the well-hung type of clam.

BTW, Taint, the Black Forest Cake I wound up making nearly a year ago was an unmitigated disaster...not that it was the recipe's fault.  I just can't fucking bake cakes or breads.  It may be some kind of curse.

However, that brownie recipe you posted recently, with the orange zest & Mexican chocolate and all, was such a hit that I had to bake up an encore this weekend.  I do love making Husband™ happy--not to mention baking something people actually want to eat--so thank you very much.

Last edited by George Orr (2010-10-23 21:57:59)

#38 2010-10-24 21:27:36

George Orr wrote:

The only clam recipe I know is linguine w/ red clam sauce, which you probably aren't interested in.  I don't even know if it would work with the well-hung type of clam.

BTW, Taint, the Black Forest Cake I wound up making nearly a year ago was an unmitigated disaster...not that it was the recipe's fault.  I just can't fucking bake cakes or breads.  It may be some kind of curse.

However, that brownie recipe you posted recently, with the orange zest & Mexican chocolate and all, was such a hit that I had to bake up an encore this weekend.  I do love making Husband™ happy--not to mention baking something people actually want to eat--so thank you very much.

Glad to hear it. I love that recipe. It makes a great pot brownie, too, but the problem is the brownies are so good it's hard not to eat too much.

#39 2010-10-25 09:18:40

Taint wrote:

Glad to hear it. I love that recipe. It makes a great pot brownie, too, but the problem is the brownies are so good it's hard not to eat too much.

*ahem*

#40 2010-10-26 00:28:44

Scotty wrote:

Taint wrote:

*ahem*

I haven't made white chili in years although I've enjoyed it the few times I've tried it. Southern Living has a recipe here that's similar to the one you posted but without the cream cheese (Cream cheese? Really? Really?). It sounds good, although I'd probably leave out the lime juice and the broth (having said that, I'm a big fan of lime juice and use it often). It seems like the stock would just make the chili too thin and water down the intensity of the spices. The idea of a roux in chili seems a little odd, too. I've seen masa added to chili to act as a thickener and that's quite nice although my usual approach is just to let it simmer long enough that a thickener - other than mashing up a cup or so of the beans and putting it back into the pot - isn't necessary.

Um, this probably wasn't terribly helpful.

Last edited by Taint (2010-10-26 00:31:57)

#41 2010-10-26 00:43:36

Taint wrote:

George Orr wrote:

Were those pfeffernuss?  I've been searching for years for a good pfeffernuss recipe...

Board footer

cruelery.com