#1 2011-09-18 13:12:20

This little anemic article is all I could find on the Wall Street Protest from Saturday.  Did you hear about it?  It seems that all the news channels, papers etc. have refused to cover it. 

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/09/16/tech/ … =allsearch

On Google:

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig& … .0.1.1l9l0

#2 2011-09-18 19:48:02

Oh, one can smell the apathy on HS now days....

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/201 … _jobs.html

#3 2011-09-18 20:34:03

Dmtdust wrote:

Oh, one can smell the apathy on HS now days....

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/201 … _jobs.html

I wouldn't call it apathy. Apathy suggests there should be a viable opposite state of reaction. I would call it resignation. Pretty much nothing the little people can do will ever change the economic status quo for the next foreseeable generations. Politics and protests are a panacea. It seems the entrenched special interests will always take the first cut of whatever puppet government propped up to mollify the people..

Might as well just watch the billionaire oligarchs duke it out over the last of our spoils.

#4 2011-09-18 20:42:31

So we should just roll on our backs?  Come on, it's getting to be Guillotine time by my watch.

#5 2011-09-18 20:55:31

We can use......Sarcasm!

#6 2011-09-18 20:55:33

The problem with protesting "the banks" and "wall street" and "the oligarchs" is that, unlike all of the other uprisings against government, those things ARE all of us. Sure, you may not have a billion dollars on account at Lehman, but your counties and states bonds do. Your pension fund, if you still have one of those archaic artifacts, or 401k is in some of those accounts. Your car loan pays those same people.

In the Arab countries the "oligarchs" really DO have all of the money. In the USA the oligarchs ARE the people, the big corporations that hold and manage the fiction of our money. So if you burn down Lehmans, all you are really doing is stealing $26 out of your own pocket.

#7 2011-09-18 21:01:00

At some point, when I am weary enough of this rat race, I will gladly defenestrate the first one in the building I come across who speaks claptrap out the side of his mouth, but I suspect it will be all for naught as the next man of the people will just sell his soul and our children's future  cheap to the highest bidder.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/359_prague_castle_defenestration_site.jpg

https://cruelery.com/uploads/359_defenestration-prague-1618.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#8 2011-09-18 21:29:28

GooberMcNutly wrote:

The problem with protesting "the banks" and "wall street" and "the oligarchs" is that, unlike all of the other uprisings against government, those things ARE all of us. Sure, you may not have a billion dollars on account at Lehman, but your counties and states bonds do. Your pension fund, if you still have one of those archaic artifacts, or 401k is in some of those accounts. Your car loan pays those same people.

In the Arab countries the "oligarchs" really DO have all of the money. In the USA the oligarchs ARE the people, the big corporations that hold and manage the fiction of our money. So if you burn down Lehmans, all you are really doing is stealing $26 out of your own pocket.

Bullshit. I do work for the people who have all the money. And they really do have the lions share as personal wealth. Their holdings pale in comparison to the combined shares of the populace. And it is on a scale you would be hard to comprehend if I took you around one day and showed how it was being spent. The Vanderbilts and that old man Rockefeller passing out dimes have nothing on today's oligarchs.

Of the 1%, by the 1%, for the 1%

Visualizing the wealth of America’s super-rich ruling class

#9 2011-09-18 21:56:55

for some reason Goober is always the apologist for the uber-wealthy.  I think he has aspirations, or at least wants to be on their coat tails.

#10 2011-09-18 22:06:35

That chart is misrepresenting numbers to people who are bad at math.

Since the chart goes to the top 0.01% (1/10000) consider the numbers 1 to 10000.  That's nice and evenly distributed, right?

The average of the bottom 90% is 4500.
The average of the top 10% is 9500.
The average of the top 1% is 9950
The average of the top .1% is 9995.5
The average of the top .01% is 10000

Even though the numbers are, in fact, evenly distributed, the bottom 90% are a pale shell of the top 0.1%.

In any ordered, averaging smaller and smaller slices at one end makes for skewed results.

There are grossly rich people.  There are grossly poor people.  But you won't turn a rich person into a poor person or vice versa with charts that misrepresent the situation to make it look worse than it is.

#11 2011-09-18 22:10:38

Here's another way of looking at it.  If you take the average of the top 1% and the bottom 1%, their average household income is somethinig like $500,000... but if you take the average of the middle 2%, their average household income is about $50000.  Wow, those middle people really suck now.

#12 2011-09-18 22:17:02

Dmtdust wrote:

for some reason Goober is always the apologist for the uber-wealthy.  I think he has aspirations, or at least wants to be on their coat tails.

I hate to break it to Goober, but there is no room in that club for him. Any idea of upward mobility is a myth sold to appease the masses.

#13 2011-09-18 22:50:42

I found that there daughters will let you in the back door, but that is not an invitation to stay.

#14 2011-09-19 00:06:32

I love the term "high school degree" used in one of J_R's articles.

It's a fucking diploma, not a degree, and all it means is that you have bothered to show up and been shown how to differentiate your head from your arse without a map.  Nobody with a high-school "degree" should expect to be in the top half of the income chart... if they do, then their expectations are setting them up for disappointment.  This is particularly true if your high school "degree" is at the general level (well, where I am we have streamed high school, so there's a general stream for trades and an academic stream for people carrying on to university).

If you don't want to go to university or community college, you're going to have to work your arse off as an apprentice AND have some talent and business acument.  It will take years of hard work, but you can make the top 10% easily enough.  Of course, there's the four-letter word that keeps a lot of people down:

WORK.

Not enough people want to do it.  They expect everything to be handed to them.  The rich guy up the road must OWE the layabout something.  The rich guy can't possibly be rich through his own efforts.

Sure, being rich opens up other opportunities, but anyone can move up the income bracket through hard work... hard work that most people can't be arsed to do.  That work starts with education, and high school hasn't cut it for education for at least 40 years.

#15 2011-09-19 09:03:28

Dusty seems to stuck in the zero-sum camp. That any time some rich cat lights his cigar with a $100 bill, he is stealing it out of the mouths of widows and orphans. That any dollar that floats upward is, by definition, being stolen from some laborer and sequestered away in a big safe, taken out only for rolling around in while naked.

It must be true right? After all, there is exactly the same amount of money floating around our country than there was 50 or 100 years ago, right? Or is there less, locked away in all of those basement safes, right? After all, there isn't MORE wealth around, brought into being by the investment of rich industrialists? Or was it created by the spontaneous cooperation of the masses of labor, working for the common good of all mankind?

#16 2011-09-19 11:29:52

Yes, wealth has increased for everyone.  The more productive they have become the greater the rewards, right?

#17 2011-09-19 12:43:15

I would say that the "quality of life" bell curve has moved to the right. What an individual chooses to do with the improvement is up to them.

#18 2011-09-19 14:24:13

Median household income has declined continuously since 2000, and declined by more than 2% in 2010.  Is that because most people do not want to work, or don't work hard enough?  Don't be idiots.

"Quality of life" almost necessarily declines for the average household when median income declines.

#20 2011-09-19 14:32:56

Fled wrote:

Median household income has declined continuously since 2000, and declined by more than 2% in 2010.  Is that because most people do not want to work, or don't work hard enough?  Don't be idiots.

"Quality of life" almost necessarily declines for the average household when median income declines.

Do I have to put "Sarcasm" emotives in my posts?

#21 2011-09-19 14:58:44

I wasn't referring to you, and if you start using emoticons, I will have to arrange for some enhanced interrogation techniques (but not torture, because Americans don't torture).

#22 2011-09-19 17:20:49

Too bad I missed this thread over the weekend.  This stuff is right in my wheelhouse.  It is despicable that liberals continually preach class warfare solely for political purposes.  Goober has is correctly.  A rising tide floats all boats.  The more millionaires we have in this country, the better off the poor people are.  Most of us may never get rich, but the activities of the rich feed all of us.  The rich don't place their money in coffee cans buried in the back yard.  They invest the money in companies that hire people.  Simply put, we could confiscate all wealth in this country, divide it up equally, and in a generation it would be back the way it is now.  The problem with that is we would have a generation of fiscal strife because, although everyone would have money for a new TV, nobody would be manufacturing them.  Few people would have jobs because there wouldn't be enough wealth accumulated to form a company to hire them.  I could go on, but you get the drift.  We need rich people.  They are the key to providing middle class jobs and they are the ladder which allows poor people  to climb out of poverty.

#23 2011-09-19 17:33:28

Wheelhouse?
Class warfare?
The rich feed all of us?
Confiscate?
Ladder?
Climb out of poverty?

Republican buzzwords?

#24 2011-09-19 17:44:19

Fled wrote:

Wheelhouse?
Class warfare?
The rich feed all of us?
Confiscate?
Ladder?
Climb out of poverty?

Republican buzzwords?

More like universal truths.  But, unfortunately, some never get the word.

#25 2011-09-19 17:58:32

Fled wrote:

From Wikipedia:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9f/US_Income_Inequality_1967-2003_relative_to_median_%28log_scale%29.svg/497px-US_Income_Inequality_1967-2003_relative_to_median_%28log_scale%29.svg.png

This graph shows income of a given percentage as a ratio to median, for 10th, 20th, 50th, 80th, 90th, and 95th percentile, for 1967–2003.
(50th percentile is 1:1 by definition.)

That shows me that while the top 10% and 20% are getting richer, the bottom 10% and 5% are staying the same, relative to the median. Sure, a slight dip in the last couple of years. (When was that election again, 2008?)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/01/United_States_Income_Distribution_1947-2007.svg/800px-United_States_Income_Distribution_1947-2007.svg.png

This graph shows the income of the given percentiles from 1947 to 2007, in 2007 dollars.

Wow, in constant dollars the rich are getting richer *than they used to be*. But, shockingly to some, so are the poor. It just pisses some people off that the kinds of people who are rich have doubled their money since 1967, but the poor have only increased it 64%. I guess that's the difference between working in a shop and owning one.

Additionally, don't forget that while the "poorest of the poor", those suffering 5%ers, have *only* increased their constant dollar income 64%, the number of social services and benefits that have been reserved for the poor has increased hugely. In 1967 you didn't get free college tuition, Section 8 vouchers, WIC, bus passes and all of the other stuff that is now considered a "right" by anyone making a certain low income, regardless of how little they have to exert in order to get it.

So, I will agree with your statement that the "inequality in incomes is increasing". Rich people are getting richer faster than poor people are getting richer. But I will still say that the reason that someone gets richer is because they try to be rich. They work hard, earn capital, risk that capital on building more capital and then reinvest that. They *invest* their money, not spend it.

Ill leave you with this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1c/Household_Characteristics_and_Income.png

Percent of households with 2+ income earners, and full-time workers by income.

The bottom 40% of households by income don't have a full time job (at any pay) and haven't worked 50 weeks in the last year. Nor do they have both members of the household working, even if at low pay. But, why should they? After all, they get LESS food, healthcare, housing, medical or school money from the government if they did. All you have to do is cry on the shoulder of your assistance processor once a month and all of that will be taken care of. And you don't even have to pay any taxes to cover it, those poor bastards who go to work every day take care of that. It's a vicious cycle. "Free" money is the most addictive drug of all.

#26 2011-09-19 18:42:28

Well done Goob.  But, as I said, some people never get the word.  And, if they do, they refuse to believe it.  College-aged kids are filled with such bullshit that it takes some of them a decade or more in the real world to realize their Marxist professor knew nothing about capitalism.  Just listen to the rote garbage they spout about evil "corporations", "industrialists", and "international finance (which apparently includes the student loans they don't wish to repay)".  But they're just kids and most will grow up.  The ones who don't come here to argue with us.

#27 2011-09-19 18:55:25

I did a little more research and found that median household income in the US has not declined continuously for the last decade.  There were three years when it actually rose.  However, the overall decline has entered year 11, with the sharpest decline coming in Bush's last year.  The overall decline is now over 7% in the past 11 years.  I assume your comment about the last 2 years is tongue in cheek, since it is apparent that the source of the decline precedes the present administration.  Most economists would say that without the stimulus act, the decline would be significantly greater.

Staying the same relative to the median is not a good thing when the median is declining. 

I don't quibble with your charts, but they don't do anything to support your contempt for the poor, which itself smells a bit like class warfare. 

http://spaceghetto.org/images/graph3.png

Source: U.S. Census.

#28 2011-09-19 19:12:27

Dmtdust wrote:

Yes, wealth has increased for everyone.  The more productive they have become the greater the rewards, right?

Actually, no. Not since Reagan was napping in the White House, at least for people who work for a living.

#29 2011-09-19 20:04:32

Tall Paul wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

Actually, no. Not since Reagan was napping in the White House, at least for people who work for a living.

See my above note on Sarcasm

#30 2011-09-19 20:12:06

Fled wrote:

Most economists would say that without the stimulus act, the decline would be significantly greater.

I would agree with this statement.  But, unfortunately, the national median income was propped up with borrowed money.  Obama's plan has been to borrow enough money to buy the votes and repay favors.  With the unlimited power to borrow and print money anyone could maintain the median level of income for a short time, but then the bill comes due.

#31 2011-09-19 20:33:03

phreddy wrote:

Fled wrote:

Most economists would say that without the stimulus act, the decline would be significantly greater.

I would agree with this statement.  But, unfortunately, the national median income was propped up with borrowed money.  Obama's plan has been to borrow enough money to buy the votes and repay favors.  With the unlimited power to borrow and print money anyone could maintain the median level of income for a short time, but then the bill comes due.

Oddly enough the borrowing started about the same time that corporations began keeping excess profits from increased productivity while keeping wages flat and hiring 'temporary' workers to fill full time job slots. Now, I wonder why that might be?

#32 2011-09-19 20:36:19

Fled wrote:

your contempt for the poor, which itself smells a bit like class warfare.

It's typical of the Right that while they've initiated the class war and are doing all the damage so far, they're the ones howling about a class war.  (Roger Ailes slipped 'em the phrase during the last election cycle.)

#33 2011-09-19 21:16:05

Fled wrote:

I don't quibble with your charts, but they don't do anything to support your contempt for the poor, which itself smells a bit like class warfare.

I don't have any contempt at all for the poor. I spent a significant portion of my youth in a family well below the 50th percentile and married a woman who's father was a coal miner and they lived in once of the poorest counties in Pennsylvania, a place that makes Allentown look like Beverly Hills. I never took a vacation that didn't involve sleeping in a tent or on a relatives couch until I was in high school.

What I have contempt for is lazy people or people who would rather stuff their fingers in their ears and flatly refuse to see opportunity when it's kicking them in the nuts. Too many of my relatives sit around and think "I wonder if the sewing factory will ever hire again" or "If it weren't for those evil Chinese, I could get a job at the mill again" when they should be retraining themselves for the few jobs we are allowed to keep in this country and packing the wife and kids in the car to go where the jobs are.

I'm a software developer. My job is just as perilous as any textile or steel mill workers. Any day my job could move to Bangalore and I wouldn't be able to find work. What do I do then? What is the Liberal answer to that question? Go down and apply for assistance and wait around on the dole until the Indians and Pakis nuke each other so I can get my job back? Get my union to "petition" my congress-critter to pass a law protecting my industry by throwing up barriers to free trade? No, I go to school to learn things those offshorers will never know. Usually on Saturday and at night and nobody is paying to send me to. I figure out how to talk to clients, how to use correct English, how to build solutions that solve my client's problems and make them money. It's not easy staying 2 steps ahead of the Wal-Mart of software development, but I was always taught that the time to give up is never! So I go to school, I work on building some companies of my own (not with fat stacks but with sleepless nights) to generate income down the road and I keep a positive attitude. So if that is "contempt", it's only contempt for the laziness in myself and, by proxy, in others.

#34 2011-09-19 21:20:26

Dmtdust wrote:

Yeah, it sure would suck to have aspirations. (That don't involve a big screen TV to put in my double-wide)

So, Dusty, you aspire to nothing?

#35 2011-09-19 21:33:16

George Orr wrote:

It's typical of the Right that while they've initiated the class war and are doing all the damage so far, they're the ones howling about a class war.  (Roger Ailes slipped 'em the phrase during the last election cycle.)

Oh, the education process is a long one...

#36 2011-09-19 21:35:47

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

Yeah, it sure would suck to have aspirations. (That don't involve a big screen TV to put in my double-wide)

So, Dusty, you aspire to nothing?

I aspire to do something for my community besides accumulating money.  I know, hard to believe.  Am I successful?  It seems so.  I am surrounded by loving family and friends, and still manage to perform as a business owner along the way providing work for those that need it.

#37 2011-09-19 23:04:04

Do you choose your workers based on whose need is greater or whose skill is greater? I just want to know what your clients think about that.

And if your goal is for something other than making money, why do you care what direction the average salary is going?

Oh well, as long as you are happy to give someone a fish, I guess they will be happy to take it. Me? I would rather set up fishing lessons and see who has the gumption to get out of bed early and join me.

#38 2011-09-19 23:29:25

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Do you choose your workers based on whose need is greater or whose skill is greater? I just want to know what your clients think about that.

And if your goal is for something other than making money, why do you care what direction the average salary is going?

Oh well, as long as you are happy to give someone a fish, I guess they will be happy to take it. Me? I would rather set up fishing lessons and see who has the gumption to get out of bed early and join me.

I teach them how to start their businesses if they like.  You can't force people can you?

#39 2011-09-20 05:52:28

Wrapping yourself in Horatio Alger superiority may feel good, but it looks awful. 

In truth, who could argue with a commitment to hard work?  No one, not even your hated (and quite imaginary) liberals.  It is a far better way out of poverty than welfare.  But your whole way of viewing the poor is negative:  they are always entirely at fault, expecting handouts which they easily obtain by crying on the shoulder of a social worker. . . .  Your words suggest contempt although you deny it. 

I'll be spending the next two weeks with villagers in Honduras, where I am sure they are just too lazy to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.  Oh, that's right, they don't own any boots.

#40 2011-09-20 11:51:56

there is nothing like the whiff of reformationist/calvinistic based capitalism in the morning to get ones blood going!

#41 2011-09-20 17:24:02

I too grew up poor.  At times my parents, along with four kids, rented flats which shared bathrooms with others.  They never owned a home and never had much beyond the very basics.  I was the first in my extended family on either side to graduate from college.  I worked the whole time and nothing was ever given to me.  Maybe this is why people like Goober and me have faith that others can do the same.  Welfare combined with negative incentives for gainful employment, a dose of victimhood, and a constant blame of the "rich" is a debilitating disservice to the poor.

#42 2011-09-20 18:34:17

If I can be exceptional, so can everybody else.

#43 2011-09-20 19:09:05

ah297900 wrote:

If I can be exceptional, so can everybody else.

You don't need to be exceptional. But you do need to try your best.  We can afford to help the rest.

#44 2011-09-20 19:43:21

phreddy wrote:

......... a constant blame of the "rich" is a debilitating disservice to the poor.

I can and will blame those members of 'the rich' who scheme to suck the cash out of anyone anywhere who is either a. monetarily unsophisticated, or b. pound foolish, or c. breathing or recently deceased. I can also give special opprobrium to those who use wealth as a way to subvert democracy, especially if their daddy was the King of the Birchers. Class warfare cuts both ways, and a constant drumbeat of blame for 'the poor' is even less attractive.

#45 2011-09-20 22:08:43

phreddy wrote:

I too grew up poor.  At times my parents, along with four kids, rented flats which shared bathrooms with others.  They never owned a home and never had much beyond the very basics.  I was the first in my extended family on either side to graduate from college.  I worked the whole time and nothing was ever given to me.  Maybe this is why people like Goober and me have faith that others can do the same.  Welfare combined with negative incentives for gainful employment, a dose of victimhood, and a constant blame of the "rich" is a debilitating disservice to the poor.

poor family, one of 4 kids, joined the army to get a university degree.

There's lots of paths off the dole... you just have to decide to walk one.

The walk isn't necessarily easy, but it does get you there.

Board footer

cruelery.com