#1 2012-04-19 12:35:38

You know we live in a weird world when the NYT is publishing a story like this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/19/garde … owers.html

#2 2012-04-19 17:18:49

WCL

Note 1. As INDICAted in the story, Indica has taken over. Headbangers won't pay for a thoughtful, energetic sativa high - they just want to be fucked up and even more stupider than usualer. It's the death of variety, and a sad state of affairs for anyone with a brain. (Sure, I love Indica at the right time - in bed with a pretty girl - but not when I'm working...or playing...or standing on a mountain peak.)

Note 2. Although most of the people who grow do not have formal training, back in the day (up here) there were a few people with horticulture degrees who hybridized like hell and travelled to other countries to spread their knowledge and seed. The pot we smoke today was created by those guys...bless them and damn them for designing great bud...for the wrong people (see note 1).

Note 3. The scariest thing facing pot growers and dealers, at least in BC, is legalization.

Last edited by WCL (2012-04-19 17:19:28)

#3 2012-04-19 18:10:02

I would certainly concur on the Indica angle. I hadn't really considered it from that standpoint, but it certainly makes a good deal of sense when you point it out. I just thought it was a local thing for me, being what's standard around here.

We will see about New Hampshire, possibly Vermont and maybe Massachusetts coming along in the near term. DC is another strong contender, but it would be interesting as 75% of the people in the District on a typical day don't live there, so cross-border bootlegging will be inevitable. That would piss VA and MD off and put Federal pressure on it. But my candidate for the dark horse in the race is Kentucky. Ill bet they pass some form of legalization, especially for cultivation, as a boost to their flagging economy.

I would say that by the time the States and Feds finally bow to the pressure and pass legalization rules, the same bill will require the State and Fed collect the tax on it, that's for sure. And it will be a special "Sin Tax" too, so you know it will be confiscatory. Think tobacco tax and multiply by 10. So the end result will be that the growers won't get but a fraction of the street price, the middle-man dealers will get shunted to the welfare office and the government will end up taking the biggest slice of the pie. So while I used to be 110% legalization, at this point I would accept an Amsterdam model that decriminalizes possession or consumption but keeps the actual growing or importing out of the tax stream.

#4 2012-04-19 20:01:51

GooberMcNutly wrote:

So the end result will be that the growers won't get but a fraction of the street price, the middle-man dealers will get shunted to the welfare office and the government will end up taking the biggest slice of the pie. So while I used to be 110% legalization, at this point I would accept an Amsterdam model that decriminalizes possession or consumption but keeps the actual growing or importing out of the tax stream.

Don't be silly, the lobbyist will insure that Cargill, Monsanto and the other conglomerates are able to capture revenue from the effort and it will be taxed like liquor.  Growth for personal use will remain illegal to insure corporate profits and monopoly.

#5 2012-04-19 20:12:45

WCL

GooberMcNutly wrote:

So while I used to be 110% legalization, at this point I would accept an Amsterdam model that decriminalizes possession or consumption but keeps the actual growing or importing out of the tax stream.

I miss the old days when everything to do with pot was a serious criminal offence. It helped define the enemy, gave smoking an honest cachet of rebellion, encouraged hybridization for a variety of grow-conditions (indoor and outdoor), and made the importation of different cannabinoids economically attractive. (It is now almost impossible, for example, to find black hash in BC, because traditional importers [Hells Angels etc.] can make more money operating a local grow-op.) If it were up to me I'd have the AmeriCanadian government declare pot-smoking a terrorist activity, then I'd load ole Betsy, twist a few joints, plug in the vape, and wait for their ugly asses to come through the door. Sure, I'd die full of holes, but stoned, with the conscience of a martyr - and several dead pigs to my credit in Heaven.

#6 2012-04-19 23:11:11

Well things are just ducky in some parts aren't they. Forget doing it, everyone is writing about it now.

#7 2012-04-20 02:02:26

Bottom line, any perfect halfwit can grow weed. Of the dozens of food crops and ornamentals I've grown and studied over the years, cannabis is the all time easiest. Hardiest, too. Legalize consumption and only halfwits will buy it.

#8 2012-04-20 05:12:42

WCL

choad wrote:

Bottom line, any perfect halfwit can grow weed. Of the dozens of food crops and ornamentals I've grown and studied over the years, cannabis is the all time easiest. Hardiest, too. Legalize consumption and only halfwits will buy it.

Any half-perfect fullwit can make beer or distill alcohol, but not many of us bother. We want our Ardbeg, our Innis & Gunn, our Clos de Griffier, and only such-and-so will do. Why look, here's our friend B., with a bag of Old Choad that he grew in his yard from some seeds that he traded some beans for. Glad tidings for some, but those who sleepwalk in smoke have sucked from the Tit of Kush for too long; they will press their lips to your bag, inhale, commune, and finally toke...then wait for the ravelled, to watch it unfold.

And you will ask: "Does my weed have Buddha-nature?"
And they will answer: "Mu."
And you will ask: "Above to all the Buddhas, below to the crawling bugs, all have Buddha-nature. Why is it that Old Choad does not?"
And they will answer: "Because you grew it in pig shit, beneath an inconstant sun. Now stand back while we roll something Real that we bought at the off-licence weed store."

#9 2012-04-20 07:49:44

Horseshit and worm excretions to you, too. I use leaf mulch and seaweed but haven't misbehaved as johnny rotten seed here for forty years. It's not paranoia when they really are out to get you.

#10 2012-04-20 09:05:39

choad wrote:

What I have grown always seemed to be a little harsh. Thank God for the Vaporizer!

Hint:  Take the purge plug out of your hookah, light up some Turkish Coffee flavor shisha(or whatever your favorite is) and then stick your vape hose into the hole where the plug was. Beautiful!

#11 2012-04-20 09:52:36

Harshness is almost entirely about curing properly.

I too lament the dominance of Indica.  Sativa has always been my favorite, but nobody in my AO grows quality Sativa.  All I have available is Mexican ditch weed.

I have an acquaintance in CA who grows and grinds his own blend.  80% Sativa, 20% Indica.  Screens his entire crop after grinding and makes some brilliant resin from that.  The resulting ground leaf has a good beat and you can dance to it, without involving a couch.

If they ever do legalize it, I will be quitting my IT job to become a boutique grower.  Despite Choad's halfwit concerns, I know plenty of people who would rather pay someone ele to be a farmer.

#12 2012-04-20 14:54:35

XregnaR wrote:

Harshness is almost entirely about curing properly.

I cure by hanging it up for 5 days then putting in mason jars and "burping" it every day for 4 hours and leave it sealed the rest of the time. Usually spend about 3 weeks before I start smoking it.

Any suggestions?

#13 2012-04-20 15:16:54

Give a look here:

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/frequ … -crop.html

Pay particular attention to the sections on nutrients, moisture removal and mold prevention.

#14 2012-04-20 15:42:56

Thanks. It seems I may be smoking it too soon. Again, thank God for my Vape.

#15 2012-04-20 17:24:16

WCL

Bigcunt wrote:

It seems I may be smoking it too soon.

Curing time depends on the plant - if you're a dirt farmer growing leggy lovelies you probably don't need to go much longer than 3 weeks. If you're a hydroponicist growing thick bushes of purple kush you're in for a longer haul.

Bigcunt wrote:

Again, thank God for my Vape.

I too now vaporize and thank various Dogs for the technology. I run several times a week - less in winter, and much less if I burn out my lungs with fire. Ironically, one of the few times I smoke joints these days is on the trail in full flight. Running stoned through a forest is a magical thing.

#16 2012-04-20 22:47:31

Last time I was in Colorado the dispensaries all had varieties of good sativa for people who wanted to get work done with a smile, go lane splitting, that sort of thing. I hope to find the same again when I go back. Failing that you can always grow your own outdoors or in if you have a medical license.

#17 2012-04-21 03:44:05

At the one Michigan dispensary I joyfully patronize there is mostly indica but also good sativa.  I'm just tickled pink over all the good bud being grown around here.  I can't grow right now but hope to get some cuttings soon and give it a try.  Along with tomatoes and peppers.  Should I keep the vegetables separated from the weed somehow, or keep them out of a grow room altogether?  I imagine that vegetables might promote pests, but I wouldn't mind having tomatoes and peppers growing all year 'round.

#18 2012-04-21 12:52:36

https://cruelery.com/uploads/359_san_quintin_2011-07-13.jpg

The future of mary jane. a single plot discovered last summer. Vegetable farming looks just like this too. This is where moist of the US of As organic tomatoes come from. Giant organic certified mono-culture in the desert. Looks exactly like this put you often have a dozen 300 acre plots joined together. No cities to compete with pulling the water from the aquifer reserves. My friend is a broker for the farming conglomerates. One client has 4500 acres just of carrots. Think of that next time you fondle the tomatoes at Whole Foods under there feel good placards about sustaining local farmers.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

Last edited by Johnny_Rotten (2012-04-21 12:54:16)

#19 2012-04-21 15:44:17

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

The future of mary jane.

Near the Pacific coast in Baja California?

#21 2012-04-21 17:17:33

South of Ensenada

#22 2012-04-21 20:32:41

WCL

thefriendsofeddiedoyle wrote:

Should I keep the vegetables separated from the weed somehow, or keep them out of a grow room altogether?  I imagine that vegetables might promote pests, but I wouldn't mind having tomatoes and peppers growing all year 'round.

What is this, a gardening advice board? We would be happy to help, but only if you send us each a gram of good black hash.

(Some people plant corn for cover, or tomatoes for companionship, but there are other veggies you want to avoid. What are they? No fucking idea. Xrangerrick sounds like he might know, but I don't think he likes you. It might have to do with soil requirements.)

#23 2012-04-21 21:02:36

WCL wrote:

Should I keep the vegetables separated from the weed somehow, or keep them out of a grow room altogether?  I imagine that vegetables might promote pests, but I wouldn't mind having tomatoes and peppers growing all year 'round.

What is this, a gardening advice board?

Why not.  We've been through several bouts of recipe exchange and tea snobbery!

#24 2012-04-21 22:34:34

I've gotten some awesome recipes offa here now and then.  I especially recommend Taint's brownies.

#25 2012-04-21 23:33:32

fnord wrote:

WCL wrote:

What is this, a gardening advice board?

Why not.  We've been through several bouts of recipe exchange and tea snobbery!

Plant the plants in amongst the tomatoes if you're in need of a screening effect.

#26 2012-04-22 17:54:26

Where have all the gas masks gone, long time passing?
Where have all the gas masks gone, long time ago?
Where have all the gas masks gone?
Gone to the East village, everyone.
Oh, when will they ever learn?

#27 2012-04-23 10:56:31

George Orr wrote:

I've gotten some awesome recipes offa here now and then.  I especially recommend Taint's brownies.

Taint & Brownie are not words you often see in the same sentence....

#28 2012-04-23 10:58:34

Companion planting with cannabis:
http://bit.ly/I4MnKq

Board footer

cruelery.com