#1 2012-04-24 20:49:15

What Magazines do you read on a monthly basis...

(yeah it's a fucking facebook like question, but what the hell - someone might introduce me to a diamond)
(and don't fucking tell me about the on-line bullshit)
(and yeah Georgie, we all know you read Grammar Weekly)

Here's the list of what's next to my toilet:

The Smithsonian
Bloomberg Markets
Rolling Stone
Game Informer

#2 2012-04-24 21:39:42

The Smithsonian
Christian Science Monitor (It's a weekly)
National Geographic
La Cucina Italiana
Saveur
Vegetarian Times
Food and Wine
Several food industry-related trade mags

Last edited by Taint (2012-04-24 21:40:00)

#3 2012-04-24 21:43:28

I miss Saveur, I need to subscribe again.

#4 2012-04-25 09:01:14

I don't sit on the crapper long enough to require reading material.  The last subscription I had was to National Geographic.  I stopped when I realized I was collecting them, and I had my own little hoarder microcosm growing on some bookshelves.  I mainly got it for the pictures, as every time I read an article I had the urge to drown some hippies in rancid patchouli oil.

#5 2012-04-25 09:56:01

XregnaR wrote:

I don't sit on the crapper long enough to require reading material.  The last subscription I had was to National Geographic.  I stopped when I realized I was collecting them, and I had my own little hoarder microcosm growing on some bookshelves.  I mainly got it for the pictures, as every time I read an article I had the urge to drown some hippies in rancid patchouli oil.

Geez, I just dumped about four years' worth of the damn things into the recycling bin. If I'd realized you were in short supply, I would have shipped them to you.

#6 2012-04-25 11:34:35

It's okay, Taint.  He's using Charmin now.

#7 2012-04-25 15:54:48

WCL

Magazines in the bathroom? Right now there's only one - a 1941 Popular Mechanics. Just the same, I wanna play too. Do books count? I read books while I crap, probably because I can read a little faster and shit a little slower than most other people. Right now in the book basket we have:

Bellum Helveticum (J. Caesar)
    The Ten Books of Architecture (Vitruvius Pollio).
    Justine (de Sade, not Durrel, great for beating off).
    Histoire de l'oeil (Georges Batailles - also great for beating off - English PDF here).
    Yenne Velt (The big book of Jewish...fantasy ).
    The Circus of Dr. Lao (Charles G. Finney - One of the few great truly-American books ever published: if you haven't read it, do so, or incur my eternal scorn).

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/1129_artzy.jpg
An Artzybasheff plate from The Circus of Dr. Lao

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#8 2012-04-25 16:42:49

Tell the truth Wilbur:

http://iseeahappyface.com/upload/emergency-toilet-paperZXgswi.jpg

Last edited by XregnaR (2012-04-25 16:43:04)

#9 2012-04-25 16:55:59

WCL

XregnaR wrote:

Tell the truth Wilbur:

http://iseeahappyface.com/upload/emerge … ZXgswi.jpg

What...and get ink on my asshole? (There's enough on my fingers, and thus on the rest of me.) I do, however, gleefully burn bad books from time to time. There are far too many in the world, and all but a few thousand are unnecessary. Many are destructive, and many whole publishing houses should be burnt to the ground.

#10 2012-04-25 18:07:47

WCL wrote:

The Circus of Dr. Lao (Charles G. Finney - One of the few great truly-American books ever published

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Circus_of_Dr._Lao

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057812/

#11 2012-04-25 18:13:52

Hey choad, give the canuck a break.  He is obviously constipated.

#12 2012-04-25 19:08:59

WCL

choad wrote:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057812/

I haven't seen the movie. (Isn't that Felix? Is Oscar in it too?) Let me know if it's any good, but I think I'll stick to the book.

#13 2012-04-25 19:11:14

WCL

MSG Tripps wrote:

Not since I quit eating mammals, but I certainly was in the past. If you wish your children to grow up literate, feed them constipating foodstuffs and put good books in your bathroom. The throne is a great place to read - nobody bothers to bother you, and there are few ambient distractions other than the smell of your own ordure.

#14 2012-04-25 19:29:43

WCL wrote:

MSG Tripps wrote:

Not since I quit eating mammals, but I certainly was in the past. If you wish your children to grow up literate, feed them constipating foodstuffs and put good books in your bathroom. The throne is a great place to read - nobody bothers to bother you, and there are few ambient distractions other than the smell of your own ordure.

Constipation 

#15 2012-04-25 20:30:41

I'm down to the Baltimore Sun, the local county paper and the AACA magazine.

I'm disappointed to learn the long list of periodicals I read on line doesn't count.

#16 2012-04-25 23:31:05

Automobile
PC Gamer
Game Informer
CTA Educator
Texas Monthly
Westways
Smithsonian
Air and Space
Analog
Asimov's
Tropical Fish Hobbyist
Discover

#17 2012-04-26 00:38:30

It's usually one of the following:
Science News
Smithsonian (though less and less since they decided to go super-political like Nat. Geo)
Shotgun News
Back issues of the Fortean Times I got at a thrift store.
or a book.

#18 2012-04-26 01:37:03

Years Best SF 14
Watchmen
The Year's Best Science Fiction- 28th ed.
Fear Agent- Re-Ignition
Essential Surrealists
Shadow Chamber by Roger Ballen
Blind Spot magazine
Looking at Photographs
The Thackery T. Lambshead Cabinet of Curiosities
House of Leaves

Last edited by nfidelbastard (2012-04-26 01:49:55)

#19 2012-04-26 02:03:02

Magazines:
Archaeology
The New Yorker
The Invisible College

Books: (General Reading)
From Hell
The Bead Game
Game Of Thrones (Again)

Reading For Review:
Krishna In The Sky With Diamonds
The Psychedelic Explorer's Guide
Psychedelic Information Theory
Forbidden Sacraments
Coruscatio

#20 2012-04-26 02:54:54

Oh, good god. We're doing books, too?

At the  moment, I'm reading about half a dozen guide books to Spain and Morocco, in addition to the list of titles below, since I'll be spending about three months there this summer. And cookbooks, lots of cookbooks.

Barcelona, by Robert Hughes
The Battle for Spain, by Antony Beevor
The New Spaniards, by John Hooper
The Culture of Cursileria: Bad Taste, Kitsch, and Class in Modern Spain, by Noel Valis
Culinaria: Spain, by Marion Trutter
The Catalan Country Kitchen, by Marimar Torres"
The Food of Morocco, by Paula Wolfert

#21 2012-04-26 09:10:16

Taint wrote:

At the  moment, I'm reading about half a dozen guide books to Spain and Morocco, in addition to the list of titles below, since I'll be spending about three months there this summer. And cookbooks, lots of cookbooks.

The Culture of Cursileria: Bad Taste, Kitsch, and Class in Modern Spain, by Noel Valis

When I lived in Spain I spent half of my vacations in Morocco. What a lovely country, though it's sliding quickly into the Fundamentalism and xenophobia of the rest of the Arab world, so see it while you still can. The Spanish will open even the most jaded foodies eyes, especially rural cooking. Two rules: Never eat in the restaurant in the rear of the bar because you can get better food at the bar and don't ever order seafood if you can't smell the ocean.

#22 2012-04-26 13:00:06

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Taint wrote:

When I lived in Spain I spent half of my vacations in Morocco. What a lovely country, though it's sliding quickly into the Fundamentalism and xenophobia of the rest of the Arab world, so see it while you still can. The Spanish will open even the most jaded foodies eyes, especially rural cooking. Two rules: Never eat in the restaurant in the rear of the bar because you can get better food at the bar and don't ever order seafood if you can't smell the ocean.

I'll be in Barcelona, so seafood shouldn't be a problem except for the fact I really don't care for seafood. I was in Italy a couple of years ago, though, and while it didn't make a seafood fan of me, eating fish caught only a couple of hours before and cooked with a light Italian hand certainly opened my eyes to how good it could be if it were treated properly.

#23 2012-04-26 16:38:56

WCL

Taint wrote:

I really don't care for seafood.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/1129_8be5qna.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#24 2012-04-26 17:04:03

Shitter Books: Old Man and the Sea
                      Beyond Good and Evil
                      Sound and the Fury.

I also keep a Martin d-16 there for when I am too hung over to read. My wife calls it the music room.

Board footer

cruelery.com