#1 2012-09-04 00:51:42

I've intermittently watched both drug dramas over the last five years, occasionally entertained and enlightened but more often bored to bloody fucking tears. I'd tune in to watch Kevin Nealon clip his toe nails, and couldn't tell you why.

Both Breaking Bad and Weeds officially jumped the shark Sunday, at least for me, both for their thoroughly rotten plotting. Old Sandwich, CT my ass.

So much for fiction and myths. From the current issue of RollingStone comes a list they they may well have cut and gluepot pasted out of a 40 year old issue. Why are we still talking about this shit?

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/lis … print=true

#2 2012-09-04 08:28:07

I just watched both episodes last night and noticed a lot of similarities between the two. They both have the anti-hero questioning where the zenith and nadir of their particular crime will take them. Both would be much simpler plots if their families acted like actual families and argued and didn't just listen to the protagonist and do whatever they say. But I felt like both characters made decisions that directly contradict their essential element. Or maybe I'm projecting here, but why did both series' writers set up their characters to succeed, then spend the last 10 minutes of the last episode hamstringing their own success? Was all this just set up for a cheap rubbernecking thrill?

PS: And why shouldn't Rolling Stone dig up 30 year old articles about pot? The administration hasn't changed it's line in all that time.

#3 2012-09-04 12:41:05

Oh boy, we're talking about TV! Could there possibly be anything more interesting than talking about TV? (Excepting, of course, watching paint dry, or watching American football, or trying to cut your foot off with a butter knife, or humping roadkill - but other than that, TV's great, isn't it?) Anyone seen the Flintstones lately? Gosh, that Fred. He's a crazy guy. I wonder if he brushes his teeth. Sure, granted, the show jumps the Megalodon once in a while (Dinosaurs weren't purple, for example), but overall, what a great show! I'd do Betty - she's the hottest chick on TV IMHO. You prefer Wilma? Yeah, she's okay, nice body, but her voice really grates on my nerves, you know? But I think we can both agree on Pebbles - she's smokin'. No? You prefer BamBam? Sure, I get it - that club of his would really mash up the old prostate, wouldn't it? Gosh, I love talking about TV - we should make this a sticky!

#4 2012-09-04 14:09:55

Oh boy, we're complaining about people talking about TV in a thread about TV. Next thread is just down the hall...

#5 2012-09-04 14:51:00

Yeah, blow it out your pie hole, Wilber. Our popular culture offers naught else to amuse us. I'm rereading memoirs by Thurber and Mencken  this week. That's what it's devolved to on this end.

http://i.imgur.com/2mR5F.jpg

Last edited by choad (2012-09-04 14:51:49)

#6 2012-09-04 15:32:17

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

trying to cut your foot off with a butter knife

What is it with you Canucks, every topic seems to always come back to cutting someone's foot off.

#7 2012-09-04 15:43:22

Emmeran wrote:

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

trying to cut your foot off with a butter knife

What is it with you Canucks, every topic seems to always come back to cutting someone's foot off.

When I lived in Montreal, the festival I most looked forward to was the Fête des Pieds, when Montrealers would fill the streets with live music, parades, and food. My favorite dish, of course, was the tourtiere au pied (lard made the crusts perfect) and much like everyone else, I also enjoyed those little maple candies shaped like severed feet. The high point of the festival came on the final night when a crowd of thousands would gather on the shores of the St. Lawrence River and toss the feet of now-missing homeless folks and prostitutes into the water, accompanied by much merriment and laughter.

Ah, good times.

#8 2012-09-04 17:26:31

We Canadians have our little jokes - provincial and eccentric as they must seem to you worldly Americans. For example - there are a number of key phrases that tend to excite us into a traditional foot-cutting frenzy (such as the Quebecois festival described by Taint). These phrases include (but are not limited to):

"Do you take Amurrican currency? Hunh?"
"Do you speak Amurrican? Hunh?"
"Back home I can buy me a porterhouse three times this size for a dollah! Hunh!"
"Why the hell can't ah bring mah guns across the border? Don't you got FREEDOM in Canada? Hunh?"
"How come you don't celebrate the 4th of Joo-lie? Hunh?"
"You should be danged happy to have Amurricans in Canada, yeah hunh - after all the furrin aid we've sent you."

And let's not forget:
http://www.jmorganmarketing.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/understand-huh-hunh-222x300.jpg
                 "Hunh?!?"

#9 2012-09-04 17:58:46

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

"Do you take Amurrican currency? Hunh?"
"Do you speak Amurrican? Hunh?"
"Back home I can buy me a porterhouse three times this size for a dollah! Hunh!"
"Why the hell can't ah bring mah guns across the border? Don't you got FREEDOM in Canada? Hunh?"
"How come you don't celebrate the 4th of Joo-lie? Hunh?"
"You should be danged happy to have Amurricans in Canada, yeah hunh - after all the furrin aid we've sent you."

Pretty fucking sad but I can hear every one of those lines in my head. Everywhere I have traveled, you can tell the Americans right away because of thier stupid bullshit. I am an American, disgusted by Americans. 

It is a beautiful country with ugly people.

#10 2012-09-05 02:54:04

It would be delicious if this was a cross-border heist.

#11 2012-09-05 11:34:00

Bigcat wrote:

I am an American, disgusted by Americans. 

Oh fucking stop it now you sound like a republican.  Get your ass out more - us Amurikans ain't no different than anyone else - particularly the Canucks and Aussies; as the world sees it those two are the obnoxious, asshole younger brothers of western civilization.

Let's be clear - if you hang out in the tourist part of any city they will hate whatever they see the most of - currently it's Chinese, Americans and Germans - just a fact of human nature.  But step out a little and you'll come to discover that which I've stated above; the obnoxious, short guy is always the worst.  Aussies and Canucks are just flat out annoying and rude.

(Kiwi's tend to avoid the complex unless they're visiting Oz)

**Edit for keyboard failure - looks like I've spilt one too many drinks on it**

Last edited by Emmeran (2012-09-05 11:35:25)

#12 2012-09-05 12:55:03

Emmeran wrote:

Bigcat wrote:

I am an American, disgusted by Americans. 

Oh fucking stop it now you sound like a republican.  Get your ass out more - us Amurikans ain't no different than anyone else....

Em's right - you're a beautiful bunch of fat, obnoxious, jingoistic, loud, vulgar, ignorant people.
Party on, American-dudes.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9vyvv6G1k1rujiu6o1_400.gif

#13 2012-09-05 14:52:43

I would still rather have to rely on the kindness of strangers in the food court of the Mall of America than anywhere else, no matter how fat and lazy the corn fed masses are. We can be loud, obnoxious, opinionated and bigoted. But we haven't quite learned to be as intentionally blind and casually cruel and the Europeans or as actively uninterested in the fate of our fellow man as your typical Asian.

Just ask yourself: Where would you rather find out that you have lost your wallet?

#14 2012-09-05 14:59:27

GooberMcNutly wrote:

I would still rather have to rely on the kindness of strangers in the food court of the Mall of America than anywhere else, no matter how fat and lazy the corn fed masses are. We can be loud, obnoxious, opinionated and bigoted. But we haven't quite learned to be as intentionally blind and casually cruel and the Europeans or as actively uninterested in the fate of our fellow man as your typical Asian.

Just ask yourself: Where would you rather find out that you have lost your wallet?

Two months to the day since I got to Barcelona and I'm finding that people are friendly, helpful, and courteous. At the very least, they aren't any more callous or disinterested than my compatriots back in the States.

#15 2012-09-05 16:16:46

I spend a fair bit of time in the States and my impressions are dichotomized. On the one-hand, many of you would be quite at home living in B.C. - you're intelligent, polite, honest and generous (for example - I've always loved the people and the food along the Oregon coast). On the other hand, when you meet an ignorant American there's nothing else quite like it in the world - overweening arrogance, automatic hostility, pure self-interest and ignorance you could bottle and sell as an antidote to the last 500 years of progress. As for tourists - the French, Chinese, as well as yobbo Brits and Aussies are certainly giving you a run for your money in the obnoxious department, but a 2008 survey of international hotel employees still ranked you high for your ugly behaviour - well behind the first-place Japs, Krauts, Limeys and Canucks, and essentially on par with the Frawgs. The following quote is poorly constructed, but probably correct.

"When they go abroad, French travelers demand the same quality they'd get at home," de Roux says. "Americans, by contrast, demand the same exceptional service they are used to at home, which is why they rank as the loudest, most inclined to complain and among the least polite."
http://o.onionstatic.com/images/articles/article/19839/KellyAmericanTourists_jpg_630x1200_upscale_q85.jpg
http://images.5pwn.com/2012/03/You-Want-To-Bitch-About-American-Tourists.jpg

#16 2012-09-05 16:33:01

Nicely deflected but avoiding the point; Aussies and Canucks remain the ugly younger siblings followed only by the Irish and Scots.  The world outside of the wealthy tourists enclaves hates your folk for being rude and annoying.

And it's not like this is the first place you've heard that bit of news...

#17 2012-09-05 16:40:26

Emmeran wrote:

Nicely deflected but avoiding the point; Aussies and Canucks remain the ugly younger siblings followed only by the Irish and Scots.  The world outside of the wealthy tourists enclaves hates your folk for being rude and annoying.

And it's not like this is the first place you've heard that bit of news...

You are so full of shit.
The linked survey of ~9,000 people places you right at the front of the pack, just in front of the French.
Canadians, as usual, did not make the list.

#19 2012-09-05 17:29:07

thefriendsofeddiedoyle wrote:

More fun with body parts up north.

Hey - half of that lake is in the Evil Empire. If autopsy determines that the body was over-weight and ignorant we'll have to assume it floated up from points south. Besides...I haven't been anywhere near Lake Ontario for over 20 years.

#20 2012-09-05 17:34:36

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Japan, without a doubt. You stand a fair chance of getting it back intact, especially if you lose it on a train. People here have been known to find a wallet on the street and turn it in to the nearest cop-shop.

#21 2012-09-05 17:53:39

Tall Paul wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Japan, without a doubt. You stand a fair chance of getting it back intact, especially if you lose it on a train. People here have been known to find a wallet on the street and turn it in to the nearest cop-shop.

Likewise in Vancouver. If you lose a jacket someone will hang it up prominently to help you find it. If you lose your wallet someone will stick it in a postal box, or give you a call if your number is enclosed. Americans (I live with one) are routinely amazed by how honest Vancouverites tend to be. On the darker side, some of my European friends consider us cold and unfriendly.

#22 2012-09-06 00:16:58

TP is very correct at a level WCL can't even begin to understand about Japan.  There is no "Likewise" here, it's an entirely different culture; you are comparing strawberries to onions - not even in the same ball park buddy.

Again:  you need to get out more; Canadians are basically Americans with really cool winter hats.

#23 2012-09-06 09:55:10

You know WCL, you are fast becoming a one trick pony.

All of the American bashing is getting old.  Broken record and all.

I know you have better things to say...come on!

#24 2012-09-06 12:28:34

Emmeran wrote:

TP is very correct at a level WCL can't even begin to understand about Japan.  There is no "Likewise" here, it's an entirely different culture; you are comparing strawberries to onions - not even in the same ball park buddy.

That's just stupid, Emmeran. Of course one can compare strawberries and onions if they have comparable features. Thinking you can't is a grade-school fallacy. Better luck next time.

Emmeran wrote:

Again:  you need to get out more; Canadians are basically Americans with really cool winter hats.

Again: you are full of shit. Our essential stock is different, for one thing. Also, some of us don't need or own winter hats. Your cross-border ignorance is astounding.

#25 2012-09-06 12:30:47

Roger_That wrote:

You know WCL, you are fast becoming a one trick pony.

All of the American bashing is getting old.  Broken record and all.

I know you have better things to say...come on!

I really was trying to cut down, Rog. In fact - this is the first bout of Yankee-bashing I've engaged in in a while. It's like going fishing. You may prefer salmon to mackerel, but if the mackerel are biting, that's what you're gonna catch.

#26 2012-09-06 13:07:15

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

I really was trying to cut down, Rog. In fact - this is the first bout of Yankee-bashing I've engaged in in a while. It's like going fishing. You may prefer salmon to mackerel, but if the mackerel are biting, that's what you're gonna catch.

Yeah I have other things to bite on besides Yank bashing....

#27 2012-09-06 13:21:06

Roger_That wrote:

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Yeah I have other things to bite on besides Yank bashing....

I bet you do!
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9xuu1NH5U1rujiu6o1_400.jpg

#28 2012-09-07 21:42:36

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/iwanttobelieve.png

~ click ~

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#29 2012-09-10 14:44:59

square wrote:

It would be delicious if this was a cross-border heist.

Shut the fuck up.

#30 2012-09-17 15:05:58

Weeds, for me, was like 3-legged dog I couldn't ignore, had to watch. Should'a just poked a stick in my eye. The first frame of Weeds' series finale was this...

https://cruelery.com/img/oldgreenwich.jpg

...a public school, built in 1905, where I spent fifth grade under the direction of Miss Lardsen, who'd caught my old man cheating in the same classroom 23 years before. That's a grade school, damn it, one of seven I attended. The Junior High, where my mom taught, is next town over.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

Board footer

cruelery.com