#1 2013-07-25 01:21:31

But today, I just successfully defended my MA thesis on quantitative terrorism research.

I miss you guys.  Hopefully soon I'll have the kind of job where I can spend time here looking at all the NSFW stuff more often.

#2 2013-07-25 01:34:16

Just for shits and giggles, a four year old cries as his friends stage a mock execution in Iraq: http://i.imgur.com/I8FUVRs.jpg

I include this because that's kinda what I felt like during my defense today!

Last edited by feisty (2013-07-25 01:41:10)

#3 2013-07-25 01:41:21

Congrats!  A great achievement, Feisty.

Mine was *many* years ago... "Computers And Their Potential Use With The Handicapped"... back when the IBM PC was just starting to become popular.

#4 2013-07-25 01:45:47

Thanks!  It was fucking exhilarating and terrifying at the same time.  And congrats on your own MA.  Should I call you Master?

#5 2013-07-25 06:53:38

feisty wrote:

Thanks!  It was fucking exhilarating and terrifying at the same time.  And congrats on your own MA.  Should I call you Master?

That's a contraction, right?

#6 2013-07-25 08:24:39

feisty wrote:

Should I call you Master?

If that's your thing I'm sure Sailor will go along with it!

Last edited by fnord (2013-07-25 08:25:22)

#7 2013-07-25 09:34:00

Congrats Feisty, that's some serious stuff right there!

whosasailorthen wrote:

Mine was *many* years ago... "Computers And Their Potential Use With The Handicapped"... back when the IBM PC was just starting to become popular. [/size]

You are truly prescient.  You predicted the advent of the "smart" phone!

#8 2013-07-25 10:11:11

Good work, Feisty.  Now you can finally slip into a stupor with the rest of us.

#9 2013-07-25 10:21:22

Way to go, feisty! Are you going for the doctorate as well?

And are you employable outside the government?

#10 2013-07-25 10:41:11

Congrats Feisty.  One question, did any of the research for your terrorism thesis include High-Streeters?  If not, why not?  This is low hanging fruit.

#11 2013-07-25 12:28:55

XregnaR wrote:

Congrats Feisty, that's some serious stuff right there!

whosasailorthen wrote:

Mine was *many* years ago... "Computers And Their Potential Use With The Handicapped"... back when the IBM PC was just starting to become popular. [/size]

You are truly prescient.  You predicted the advent of the "smart" phone!

Yeah, well, I kinda had the inside track a bit... my mum was handicapped and that inspired me.

#12 2013-07-25 12:30:13

feisty wrote:

No. that's OK.  I don't require any special aggrandizement.  I shun pompous titles.

You can just call me "sir".

#13 2013-07-27 18:53:11

Sorry I'm late to the kudos (the last two weeks have been fucking insane and I am FRIED) but I'm really pleased about this, feisty!  You're probably all celebrated out by today; but I hope you had an awesome fucking celebration!

#14 2013-07-28 00:41:50

Congratulations feisty.
"Sir" is nothing I answer to.

#15 2013-07-28 01:44:06

MSG Tripps wrote:

Congratulations feisty.
"Sir" is nothing I answer to.

The Three Stooges remapped my sir response to "Who's behind me?" when I was 10.

#16 2013-07-28 08:22:52

choad wrote:

The Three Stooges remapped my sir response to "Who's behind me?" when I was 10.

Nice

#17 2013-07-28 23:51:13

Congratulations, felicitations, and all kinds of shit like that!

#18 2013-07-29 00:43:13

Thanks everyone!  It's been a crazy few days.  I've already got some job prospects (adjunct teaching positions, but hey, jobs are fucking scarce around here so I'll take it).  I've also had a sick little dude (he's 5 months old now) so that's been fun.

Tall Paul wrote:

Way to go, feisty! Are you going for the doctorate as well?

And are you employable outside the government?

Yes, I do hope to go on to get my doctorate in the next five years or so...but I've promised the hubby that I'll take a couple of years off since no one in my family has seen anything other than my head buried in a book for the last few years.

And I'm not sure how employable I am.  Given the fact that I've been researching Islamist terrorism, and there's that whole NSA thing, I'm guessing I'm on so many watch lists right now it's not even funny.

phreddy wrote:

Congrats Feisty.  One question, did any of the research for your terrorism thesis include High-Streeters?  If not, why not?  This is low hanging fruit.

Alas, my research involved the construction of a dataset of individuals who had been identified, apprehended, killed, or convicted of homegrown Islamist terrorism in the decade following 9/11.  If there are any radical Islamist terrorists on High-Street, they've been able to steer clear of the law thus far, at least to my knowledge.  Should I continue my research into deviance, I'm sure I can find SOMETHING to analyze here.

Fled wrote:

Good work, Feisty.  Now you can finally slip into a stupor with the rest of us.

I'm so ready.  Officially, I'm turning in my final thesis draft tomorrow morning and will be a confirmed graduate on Tuesday, but I've already started the celebrating.  There's always a good excuse to have a few drinks.

George Orr wrote:

Sorry I'm late to the kudos (the last two weeks have been fucking insane and I am FRIED) but I'm really pleased about this, feisty!  You're probably all celebrated out by today; but I hope you had an awesome fucking celebration!

Thanks, George!  My apologies about the fried-ness, I feel your pain.  And as I said before, I'm definitely still in celebration mode.  It certainly hasn't sunk in yet.

#19 2013-07-29 00:43:56

sigmoid freud wrote:

Congratulations, felicitations, and all kinds of shit like that!

Sorry, I forgot to thank you...didn't see your post until after I hit submit.  So thanks!  ;)

Board footer

cruelery.com