#51 2013-10-29 13:03:46

The Broadway Bomb brings together more than 2,500 longboard skaters each year in New York City to push eight miles through Manhattan, from West 116th Street to the Charging Bull in the Financial District. Since it’s inception in 2000, the NYPD has tried to hamper the event by hassling skaters, blocking roads, and even handing out tickets. This year the NYPD busted out the orange netting to try and corrall the skaters. They failed miserably. It was so bad that someone set the folly to the music from Benny Hill and it couldn’t be more appropriate.

#52 2013-10-30 11:32:43

Tag your it.

Business sure is booming for those gearing up.

Edit:

Dang, looks like I was hatted by Em. Seems my timing signal was off by a few min.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/359_hat-radio.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

Last edited by Johnny_Rotten (2013-10-30 11:50:02)

#53 2013-10-30 11:48:45

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

Tag your it.

Business sure is booming for those gearing up.

OK, that's some serious James Bond shit right there.  Now if only they would concentrate on developing a model that homes in on the nearest source of bass, then detonate....

#55 2013-10-30 13:21:10

XregnaR wrote:

Cross posting this one:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/future-is-n … .html?vp=1

OK my balls just shrunk a bit.   This is good how?

I suppose inevitable does not equal good...

#56 2013-10-31 19:17:24

Emmeran wrote:

I suppose inevitable does not equal good...

Where have you been, SSgt?

#57 2013-10-31 20:36:34

I've been putting up wood for the winter, but I broke my favorite ax and it's put me in a bit of a funk.  I don't like the fiber-glass handled axes and while they'll make do I really need to get a new hickory handle.

I hate it when I break my toys...

#58 2013-10-31 22:29:30

Emmeran wrote:

I've been putting up wood for the winter, but I broke my favorite ax and it's put me in a bit of a funk.  I don't like the fiber-glass handled axes and while they'll make do I really need to get a new hickory handle.

I hate it when I break my toys...

Other than splitting fatwood I haven't touched an ax, maul or wedge in 30 years.  We burn 3 to 4 cords a season, and rely on a 16" Stihl and a 12 ton hydraulic splitter. 

If you're actually using an ax to cut or even split your firewood you're being overly Amish.

#59 2013-10-31 22:48:29

opsec wrote:

...  overly Amish.

Or a Jarhead.

#60 2013-11-01 02:17:23

Or I have a house full of teenaged knuckleheads who need to burn off some steam.

Let me honestly add that it's very therapeutic for me to swing that ax at times also...

#61 2013-11-01 10:13:33

Emmeran wrote:

Let me honestly add that it's very therapeutic for me to swing that ax at times also...

This.  Not the most efficient method, but it sure as hell burns off the worries of the day, and having a maniacal glint in your eye while you do it will help keep the neighbors, wife & kids in line.

#62 2013-11-01 11:29:59

Exactly, you are allowed to be angry when you do this; the rest of the time you have to be a good boy.

#63 2013-11-01 14:54:59

Emmeran wrote:

Exactly, you are allowed to be angry when you do this; the rest of the time you have to be a good boy.

http://www.mylot.com/post/2272209/how-d … yre-boring

#64 2013-11-01 16:27:28

XregnaR wrote:

This.  Not the most efficient method, but it sure as hell burns off the worries of the day, and having a maniacal glint in your eye while you do it will help keep the neighbors, wife & kids in line.

Until they hide the axe on you, sure. Took me years to find that dutifully honed blade, none the too much worse for wear and all because I one whack axed the teen terror hotline running upstairs. Truly, one of life's sweeter moments.

#65 2013-11-01 17:38:36

Bigcat wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

http://www.mylot.com/post/2272209/how-d … yre-boring

Obviously Bigcat doesn't really belong around at story time; dude what is the point of living life if you don't have stories to tell?

#69 2013-11-05 18:19:44

Thank God the Republicans have finally gotten the government off our backs!

#70 2013-11-08 21:23:17

Well he dented our patrol car....

#72 2013-11-10 02:21:54

Swimming upstream against the tide or just making sense?

"I spent eight years on the SWAT team. I've served hundreds of no-knock warrants. I know firsthand how it all operates," he says. "I also know firsthand that there are better alternatives. Too often we start with the highest level of force. We should always start at the lowest level. If the police show up and the situation deteriorates, then that's our fault. We haven't done our job right. I think we get too caught up in the whole officer safety thing. The danger you expose everyone to in these raids is significant."

From the comments a tale of a different take on the surveillance state and how it plays in Peoria

My city uses a thing called the "Armadillo" which is a converted Brinks-type truck that can provide 24-hour surveillance, but the surveillance isn't what reduces the crime ... it's having the Armadillo parked right outside your nuisance property. It has an element of public shaming, and it lets you know the cops are on to you. At first people were concerned that the Armadillo was going to be used to harass law-abiding citizens and be all surveillance-state-y, but now that it's been in use for 4 years, people LOVE the Armadillo. They had to get a second one because the waiting list is so long to have it park on particular streets -- neighborhood associations and individuals request them at local nuisance properties, and the police evaluate the requests and place the Armadillos accordingly. The two are named "Starsky" and "Hutch." People turn out at community festivals where there's an Armadillo so they can see them and take pictures with them...

Another thing they're doing locally is buying a few abandoned houses in run-down, dangerous neighborhoods with bad police relationships and having patrol officers actually move in to the neighborhoods to live in the neighborhoods they police and try to develop relationships with the community. They've just started the program but I think it's a great idea, and I'm hopeful it'll work well.

Fixed second link - square

Last edited by square (2013-11-10 14:39:02)

#75 2013-11-25 23:52:53

OK - props to them for stepping up and hammering this guy, but why are those cops in combat gear?

#76 2013-11-26 00:30:43

L.A. Cops, not San Antonio.  Just Sayin'/  Stock Photo.

#77 2013-11-26 07:00:56

Dmtdust wrote:

OK, my bad.  I'll look in the attic for the appropriate hat to wear.

#78 2013-11-26 08:01:28

Emmeran wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

OK, my bad.  I'll look in the attic for the appropriate hat to wear.

Look in the Ruff Tuff Creampuff's dream sequence.

Last edited by Tall Paul (2013-12-22 19:22:51)

#80 2014-01-23 20:55:20

Trooper jacks off with preteen boy, prosecutor refuses to file charges.

#81 2014-01-23 21:24:45

Durham Police Chief Jose Lopez said to CBS shortly after the incident. "While incidents like this are not common, they unfortunately have happened in other jurisdictions in the past."

I'll bet.

#82 2014-01-24 13:51:41

nfidelbastard wrote:

Trooper jacks off with preteen boy, prosecutor refuses to file charges.

Sandusky County?  How appropriate.

#83 2014-01-31 14:02:29

There isn't any poo, is there?

#85 2014-02-15 04:20:15

"A deaf man has filed a lawsuit claiming he was brutally assaulted by four Hawthorne police officers while he packed his car with snowboarding equipment just before he went to his regular Bible study class a year ago."

Because, you know, a deaf guy who snowboards and goes to bible study couldn't possibly also be a complete, fucking asshole.

#87 2014-02-17 19:30:59

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/outofcontrol.png

#88 2014-02-18 21:57:23

Ranger posted part of this months ago...

Techdirt: NH pushes back against police militarization

#89 2014-02-19 21:09:13

Wanna play a game?  We call it itchy trigger finger...

#90 2014-02-20 12:20:11

choad wrote:

Ranger posted part of this months ago...

Techdirt: NH pushes back against police militarization

Ah the Shire, land of those pesky Keene Robin Hooders who put coins in parking meters as civil disobedience protests. Tenaciously reducing city parking ticket revenue by about 25%. And were sued twice by the city to stop from being so damn annoying.

The Robin Hood kids helped start the Thanks but no Tanks campaign.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/359_c19280cf2f97854c43fc267a302d98e4.jpg

In an application to acquire a Lenco BEARCAT (Ballistic Engineered Armored Response Counter Attack Truck), Concord PD stated:

“The State of New Hampshire’s experience with terrorism slants primarily towards the domestic type. We are fortunate that our State has not been victimized from a mass casualty event from an international terrorism strike however on the domestic front, the threat is real and here. Groups such as the Sovereign Citizens, Free Staters and Occupy New Hampshire are active and present daily challenges.”

#91 2014-02-20 12:40:53

Call it what you will but if you're elsewhere this fine day, eat your heart out. The south coast finally got a thaw, not a cloud in the sky, all the doors and windows open.

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/tanksbutnotanks.png

Last edited by choad (2014-02-20 13:11:09)

#92 2014-02-20 15:17:14

Having served in excess of 30 years in law enforcement I find the militarization of domestic police and the ever expanding size and direction of Homeland Security overwhelming.  Police are a civil force that specifically deals with criminal matters.  It was never intended that police would be all geared up like the military.  Back when the Marathon bombing took place one of the most disgusting sights was to see 10 cops with M-4’s hanging of the sides of MRAP’s and like vehicles.  Ask anyone in the Watertown neighborhood where the little curly haired piece of shit was apprehended and you will be told horror stories of the total suspension of the Constitution took place.  The American police officer should not be militarized.  It is most likely that MA will never be onboard with this thinking because of the domination of liberal and democrat thinking.

#93 2014-02-20 16:22:40

quahog wrote:

It is most likely that MA will never be onboard with this thinking because of the domination of liberal and democrat thinking.

Welcome to the reasoned minority.

#94 2014-02-20 16:25:43

choad wrote:

Call it what you will but if you're elsewhere this fine day, eat your heart out. The south coast finally got a thaw, not a cloud in the sky, all the doors and windows open.

I doubt you're looking at 70 degrees and sunny for the next week as I am.  Of course, we'll be begging for water this coming summer, but for now it's pretty nice.

#95 2014-02-25 04:55:49

I don't know if there is a Police Meme Generator out there somewhere or if behavior spreads from department to department naturally. Not too long
ago it seemed that suddenly, all cops had the right to shoot all dogs they came across. Now, having seen many videos of police brutality, I wondered
if police shouted things like "Stop resisting" and "he's going for my gun" only when those things happened, or as SOP during an arrest as a precaution
in case grainy video or witnesses catch the cops misbehaving, giving them an excuse to be heavy handed. The video below answers that.

#96 2014-02-25 07:13:41

nfidelbastard wrote:

I don't know if there is a Police Meme Generator out there somewhere or if behavior spreads from department to department naturally. Not too long
ago it seemed that suddenly, all cops had the right to shoot all dogs they came across. Now, having seen many videos of police brutality, I wondered
if police shouted things like "Stop resisting" and "he's going for my gun" only when those things happened, or as SOP during an arrest as a precaution
in case grainy video or witnesses catch the cops misbehaving, giving them an excuse to be heavy handed. The video below answers that.

Fuckers.  Same type of assholes that put their hands on their pistols when I admitted to having been a career Marine, all because I was being "too polite".

#97 2014-02-25 14:21:36

We recently had two shootings by cops near here.  One in which the cop stopped his car and walked down under a bridge to take a piss.  When a homeless guy tapped him on the shoulder, the cop whirled around and drilled him.  The other was a cop shooting a guy who asked him for a smoke.  The cop claimed he thought the guy had a weapon.  Now, I wouldn't want to be out there dealing with the bad guys, but a little bedside manner or customer service training is in order here.

#98 2014-02-26 22:04:53

Who amongst you now qualifies as a pre-criminal? The correct answer of course is if you know of one, you are one.

A bit long winded but something this outrageous deserves both barrels.

Consider that the root of this methodology is social network analysis. Your place on the heat-list is explicitly not about what you've done or who you are: it's about who your friends are and what they've done. The idea that people's social circles tell us something about their own character is as old as the proverb "A man is known by the company he keeps." Certainly, it wasn't a new idea to the framers of the Constitution (after all, the typical framer was both a member of a secret society and had recently participated in a guerrilla revolution -- they knew a thing or two about the predictive value of social network analysis).

But the framers explicitly guaranteed "freedom of association," in the First Amendment. Why? Because while "birds of a feather stick together," the criminalization of friendship is a corrosive force that drives apart the bonds that make us into a society. In other words: if the Chicago PD think that crime can only be fought by discriminating against people based on their friendships, they need to get a constitutional amendment before they put that plan into action.

Finally, this program assumes that its interventions will be positive, and this assumption is anything but assured. The idea that being told that you are likely to commit crimes will prevent you from doing so is no more obvious that the idea that being treated as a presumptive criminal will lead you to commit crimes. What's more, well-known, well-documented cognitive biases (theory blindness, confirmation bias) are alive and well in the criminal justice system: if someone on the blacklist is suspected of doing something minor, we should expect the police, prosecutors and judge to treat them more harshly than they would someone plucked from off the street. If you're already in a machine-generated ethnicity of pre-criminals, society will deal with you accordingly.

What's more, this will lead to more arrests, harsher charges and longer sentences for pre-criminals -- seemingly validating the methodology. It's the Big Data version of witchburning, a modern pseudoscience cloaked in the respectability of easily manipulated statistics and suspicious metaphors from public health.

-Cory Doctorow

#99 2014-02-27 12:28:27

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

Who amongst you now qualifies as a pre-criminal? The correct answer of course is if you know of one, you are one.

This is onerous alright.  As technology evolves, this will only get worse.  However, presumption of future crime by law enforcement is not new.  If you are a veteran, a gun owner, or heaven forbid, the holder of a concealed carry permit, you are already on a government hot list of potential criminals or terrorists.

#100 2014-02-27 15:01:57

rejecting federal authority in favor of state or local authority

Board footer

cruelery.com