#2 2013-12-28 17:01:44

I remember the first home video game I ever saw was some sort of system that had templates that you taped to the TV screen to create the game. It had a haunted house and some other games which were basically mazes, if I recall correctly. This was way before Atari. I've never seen that system mentioned in the history of gaming.

#3 2013-12-28 20:06:44

Banjo, the system you refer to was the first game console, known as the Magnavox Odyssey. Perhaps too far ahead of its time, it was a proper piece of shit.

Last edited by lechero (2013-12-28 20:07:13)

#4 2013-12-29 01:04:19

Had the ColecoVision with the Atari Converter when I was a lad, and later got the Coleco Adam (Apple IIe compatible) computer to plug into it. We played state-of-the-art computer games on cartridges and tape. We were like unto gods in our neighborhood.

I tried explaining what it was like to my son whilst he was playing his XBox Tree-Siddy, and was given the type of pitying glance that's usually reserved for lepers and people from Florida.

#5 2013-12-29 02:31:47

lechero wrote:

Banjo, the system you refer to was the first game console, known as the Magnavox Odyssey. Perhaps too far ahead of its time, it was a proper piece of shit.

That's the one. Odd that most of the articles on gaming history tend to start with the pong era.

#6 2013-12-29 05:28:39

Sascrotch wrote:

Had the ColecoVision with the Atari Converter when I was a lad, and later got the Coleco Adam (Apple IIe compatible) computer to plug into it. We played state-of-the-art computer games on cartridges and tape. We were like unto gods in our neighborhood.

I tried explaining what it was like to my son whilst he was playing his XBox Tree-Siddy, and was given the type of pitying glance that's usually reserved for lepers and people from Florida.

Apple IIc here. Whilst the kid down the road had Summer Games II on his Amiga we were pleased to make do with Lode Runner rendered all the more splendid when we plugged into the colour television receiver set via the magic of an RF modulator.

Pictar tangentially related:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7a/Lode_Runner.jpg

#7 2013-12-29 07:13:54

C64 and Amiga for me, which probably explains why I bought a Zune and not an iPod.  Oh we had the Colecovision etc., but they never had the same impact on me; now we have five fucking Xbox 360's around here, mostly acting as Netflix boxes since we dumped cable tv a few years back.

There are many things I regret about being an Amiga fanatic but still Lemmings was one of the top three games ever made for any system.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/11_lemmings.jpg

Oh and I miss leisure suit larry...

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#8 2013-12-29 15:22:54

mostly acting as Netflix boxes since we dumped cable tv a few years back.

Something I've been sorely tempted to do. How is it working for you? Any regrets or downsides?

#9 2013-12-29 16:25:05

Haven't had cable in 17 years.  No regrets.

#10 2013-12-29 17:13:00

I cheat, I bought a Slingbox at put it in my buddy's house a few years back so I can watch sports.  We can get broadcast HD channels on our $30 antenna if we desire but we don't much care; it does work well however.

Outside of live sports we really don't care and life is $75 p/month cheaper.

#11 2013-12-29 18:33:13

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/killtv.jpg

I've never owned a tv. Did watch some as a kid after we relocated to the US but it never held my interest long and the ads drove straight up a wall. Tv is timeless that way.

#12 2013-12-29 21:51:24

Having not even the option to watch tv has served me well. Although I may just waste time elsewhere that I would have wasted in front of it, I don't feel I have missed things of major importance. And I am certain that I have spent more time learning new things than I would have had I watched a lot of television..

#13 2013-12-29 23:07:25

Emmeran wrote:

Oh and I miss leisure suit larry...

Were you a Trade Wars fan, too?

I was spared the gamer itch, thank christ, but running a bbs 10 yrs was a perfect window into the obsessions of the afflicted, banging away at nothing till blood dripped out their ears. Check out the games section of my last d/l file list, if you're nostalgic. Weirdly, could probably relaunch without a modem string change.

#14 2013-12-29 23:24:34

I remember the Magnavox Odyssey "system" and writing hand-made maps for the games.

My kids got Nintendo DSs for Christmas this year and were thrilled by the graphics of the >$5.00 eShop games. Having no previous console helped, but they were buying Tetris and Sonic, like impoverished children from 1987. Let it never be said that the sub-12 set can't be hipster-doofuses, too.

#15 2013-12-29 23:32:32

choad wrote:

Yep, loved that game.  My BBS was the "Lunatic Fringe".

Shame on me for not being smart enough to grab and hold that domain name; that would have served us well here.  I did have Tachinomi for a while but I let that lapse, another stupid move.

(Tachinomi is Japanese for a type of commuter bar and literally means "Stand & Drink")

#16 2013-12-30 00:52:12

choad wrote:

Man, that takes me back. I'm kind of surprised no one revamped that into a Facebook game.

Board footer

cruelery.com