#2 2016-12-08 22:04:48

Turd polishing is our only remaining industry. Wait'll they dust off US-2, or heaven help us, US-6, which runs from Provincetown to a block from my door, through New Beige, Fall River and downtown Providence before wandering into CT and who cares where.

#3 2016-12-08 22:14:12

Well the 20 goes to Old Faithful and thru Moon Crater Park, the Sand Hills and the Bad Lands; dozens more incredible places.

I'll take that road trip, 30 days of wandering across the continent with Melon's sounds like quite the recipe for relaxation at this point.

Last edited by Emmeran (2016-12-08 22:40:48)

#4 2016-12-09 06:38:15

Roadtrip?  Fuck Yeah!

-Back in the day, wifey & I road-tripped  US 60 from Socorro NM to Lexington VA...with her equine (Plain Jupiter Jane) in tow. 

-Lexington => Nags Head every summer of my youth...US 60 like an old friend. 

-Running the Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive (sans headlights) on moonlit nights or wrangling rattlesnakes after thunderstorms.   

-Wife brought the sprinter up from SEA via Stewart-Cassiar Highway summer last.  Gave the drive two thumbs up.

-9 or10 years ago wife & i flew into Frankfurt, rented a car and wandered around Central Europe for a month. Amsterdam =>Venice and all points in-between.
One of the highlights:  Finding ourselves in Bastogne on 16 December...anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge.  Camped at the memorial. Stood on top as sun rose. 
Hauling ass down the autobahn at 110 mph...passed as if standing still by Mercedes/Audi wagons loaded with the kids...skis strapped on the roof.   
Faster car next time!

Then again, we have some chill drives here in the land of mis-fit toys as well:

https://youtu.be/rFc0vHfeJEA
https://youtu.be/P5G5hXbFLZk
https://youtu.be/Y5jSHDNY1NA

Backroads & byways:  Always the preferred routing.

Last edited by JetRx (2016-12-09 06:43:35)

#5 2016-12-09 07:05:30

I ran into Wm Least Heat Moon not long after he published "Blue Highways" in the early 80s and suggested he title his next book, "Booze Highways". Moon wasn't impressed, but his next book did focus on micro breweries.

#6 2016-12-09 11:25:18

We thought about doing the Fort Kent, Maine to Key West, Florida US-1 trip but not sure about driving through NYC.  Although, I suspect it's mostly Interstate through the big cities.  I know it's a highway in South Carolina as we lived in Columbia and it came right through.

#7 2016-12-09 12:05:59

I've done the Pacific Coast Highway drive however I didn't really get to take my time.  It's still a very nice drive with tons to see and do.  Highly recommend it.

#8 2016-12-09 12:11:20

Baywolfe wrote:

We thought about doing the Fort Kent, Maine to Key West, Florida US-1 trip but not sure about driving through NYC.  Although, I suspect it's mostly Interstate through the big cities.  I know it's a highway in South Carolina as we lived in Columbia and it came right through.

For the record - numbering starts on the West Coast so the official US-1 is the PCH.  Highway numbering is very efficiently done left to right and oddly bottom to top, I believe the renumbering happened with the implementation of the Dwight D. Eisenhower Defense Interstate Highway System.  Which as we all know was copied from the Autobahn and was one of the key components of the extension of the post-war boom.

#9 2016-12-09 15:16:58

Look for an old historical roadmap from before the interstates rerouted roads like Rt 1. Overlay that and you can find some worthwhile byways. In RI the highway bridges are scenic and all, but the roads between the ferry landings and narrows are interesting.

I used to have a colassal refference book called Indian Paths and Trails of PA. Many hours I spent motoring back roads seeking the overlays and intersections.

#10 2016-12-09 16:02:50

My best drive was from Norwich to Edinburgh in a brand new Lotus Esprit Turbo somewhere around 1980... it was a delivery to a customer.  We got there the same day, taking full advantage of the car's capabilities [read: "driving flat out"].  This, of course, was back when M-route speed limits were lightly enforced and long before speed-cameras invaded the isles.

#11 2016-12-09 16:58:38

Baywolfe wrote:

I would suggest against that. US-1 is mostly stoplights and strip malls from Boston to Petersburg, VA. US-301 is a much better route from Wilmington, DE all the way to the end of Florida, servicing mostly rural counties. Sorry, but north of Wilmington to Boston is shite, no matter how you slice it. I recommend rolling up your windows and getting through it as fast as possible unless you are willing to detour West at least to Corning, NY before turning South. There is *nothing* magical about Rt 1 through the Megalopolis.

But that Route 20 looks a hoot, except maybe the Detroit/Chicago area and Iowa looks like a bit of a snoozefest.

#12 2016-12-09 17:12:45

whosasailorthen wrote:

My best drive was from Norwich to Edinburgh in a brand new Lotus Esprit Turbo somewhere around 1980... it was a delivery to a customer.  We got there the same day, taking full advantage of the car's capabilities [read: "driving flat out"].  This, of course, was back when M-route speed limits were lightly enforced and long before speed-cameras invaded the isles.

Hmm something to be said for how you approach the road. My best drive recently has been on the same northern CA road I have been taking for 25 years. It all changed via the addition of a turbocharger, a 6 speed and a stiff suspension. Nothing even exotic.  Every curvey corner seemed like it offered unforseen possibilities and even on ramps to I5 became ramps to new places. And this was all accomplished mostly under 70 mph, mostly.

#13 2016-12-09 18:04:10

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

It all changed via the addition of a turbocharger, a 6 speed and a stiff suspension. Nothing even exotic.  Every curvey corner seemed like it offered unforseen possibilities and even on ramps to I5 became ramps to new places. And this was all accomplished mostly under 70 mph, mostly.

Shut it down as you top out third gear, at our age cops will grant us a little buffer.  But once you pass the century mark they aren't quite as easily amused.  I live my little turbo neon but if I drop into fourth at WOT it is definitely beyond forgivable.

#15 2016-12-11 10:14:48

Emmeran wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

For the record - numbering starts on the West Coast so the official US-1 is the PCH.  Highway numbering is very efficiently done left to right and oddly bottom to top, I believe the renumbering happened with the implementation of the Dwight D. Eisenhower Defense Interstate Highway System.  Which as we all know was copied from the Autobahn and was one of the key components of the extension of the post-war boom.

There was a large Terex plant by my house that built nothing but the giant dump trucks and earth movers designed to landscape for the Interstates.  Somewhere there is a photo of me as a kid, standing inside the front wheel of a dump truck and I can't even touch the top.

Also, for the record, New Jersey doesn't not give a shit about the numbering system.
https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/157_us_1_new_jersey_1926.jpg

And neither does Florida.
https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/157_florida_a1asvg.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#16 2016-12-11 19:30:38

U.S. Routes have always been numbered ascending from east to west and north to south.  Interstate numbering was intentionally chosen to run the opposite way to reduce confusing the two systems.

#17 2016-12-11 20:10:59

I stand corrected.

Board footer

cruelery.com