• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » I guess it's better than frozen shit from a jet.....

#1 2008-01-26 20:11:09

and I was just listening to Devo's "Space Junk"

USER wrote:

"Appropriate government agencies are monitoring the situation," said Gordon Johndroe, a spokesman for the National Security Council, when asked about the situation after it was disclosed by other officials. "Numerous satellites over the years have come out of orbit and fallen harmlessly. We are looking at potential options to mitigate any possible damage this satellite may cause."

Mitigate it, huh?  Like trying to get it to land on Iraq?

I think we should have a pool for when, where, and how many casualties when it lands.

#2 2008-01-26 22:53:50

http://www.ellenmuth.com/pics/f20b.jpghttp://x9b.xanga.com/d7a86357c843122145155/b15739754.jpg

Dead, like her.

Since SkyLab was a big snooze (Indian Ocean, 'remote part of Australia') you'd think they wouldn't bother making such an advanced announcement unless they had some inkling that it was in an orbit capable of decaying over a more populous latitude. It'd be passing continents in seconds, which kinda makes one thankful for the whole 70% water thing.

Put me down for 13:13 GMT, 29 Feb., somewhere off the western coast of Africa. No Whammies tsunamis.

#3 2008-01-27 01:04:32

I'm no rocket scientist, so I wonder: Wouldn't rocket fuel burn on re-entry?

#4 2008-01-27 01:50:17

Probably not in the way either of us is thinking. Everything 'burns' on passage through the atmosphere. And I take back part of what I said earlier. Like, duh, it's a spy satellite. Of course it passes over populated areas, by design.

#5 2008-01-27 01:53:50

pALEPHx wrote:

Probably not in the way either of us is thinking. Everything 'burns' on passage through the atmosphere. And I take back part of what I said earlier. Like, duh, it's a spy satellite. Of course it passes over populated areas, by design.

That's what I mean.  Surely they didn't design it with the intent to survive re-entry intact?  It's not like there should be a whole lot of rocket fuel spraying people's houses on the way down.

#6 2008-01-27 02:25:28

tojo2000 wrote:

Surely they didn't design it with the intent to survive re-entry intact? It's not like there should be a whole lot of rocket fuel spraying people's houses on the way down.

Well, of one thing we can be sure: There'll be no spraying down of anything in the milliseconds between its arrival into breathable atmosphere, and impact (tho we can imagine skyscrapers in the way...that sorta thing). If the compartment that contains the hydrazine--it does not make sense that it would have a large, empty space of a tank for more than the initial adjustments when it was put in orbit and minor attitude corrections--was breached, there would probably be a 'violent out-gassing,' but I can't say for sure that only the trailing vapor particles would ignite. I suspect it would be quite pretty.

The resulting explosion on any landmass would be significant with or without the remaining fuel. They say it's about the size of a school bus, but couldn't possibly be as dense as your average meteorite. It is, however, coming in lower, and slower, than some space rock. If any part of it managed to survive, then a nice warning about poisonous fuel would keep folks away. It's fun to run the variables, ain't it?

This probably caused more headaches.

#7 2008-01-27 12:13:33

pALEPHx wrote:

Like, duh, it's a spy satellite. Of course it passes over populated areas, by design.

Rock Hudson to the rescue!
http://www.zetaminor.com/images/news_pictures/ice_station_220.jpg

#8 2008-01-27 17:28:59

square wrote:

pALEPHx wrote:

Like, duh, it's a spy satellite. Of course it passes over populated areas, by design.

Speaking of design: Worst. Cover art. Ever.

What is that in the upper right, a submarine attacking a fighter jet? That's as absurd as sharks fighting eagles. Or Rock Hudson having sex with Ernest Borgnine.

Go ahead, just try to get that image out of your head, now.

#9 2008-01-27 17:50:44

pALEPHx wrote:

I still remember that movie.  My daddy loved that movie.

What is that in the upper right, a submarine attacking a fighter jet? That's as absurd as sharks fighting eagles. Or Rock Hudson having sex with Ernest Borgnine.

Just antidote that image with one of Rock Hudson having sex with Jim Brown...There.

#10 2008-01-27 17:56:43

The mental goggles...they do nothing. 

/me weeps softly to himself

#11 2008-01-27 18:10:45

George Orr wrote:

Just antidote that image with one of Rock Hudson having sex with Jim Brown...There.

I'll leave that to Fnord.

#12 2008-01-27 21:48:04

pALEPHx wrote:

square wrote:

pALEPHx wrote:

One of the ex-partners at the firm I work for had Ernest Borgnine as a client.  Rather, he hired the firm to protect his stupid daughter.  When the partner left, Ernie owed the firm over 1 million bucks.  He was quite an asshole.  But, thanks for the image Pale.  Now I need to stick my head in a bucket of bleach....
No comments necessary from the peanut gallery, Tojo.

#13 2008-01-27 22:24:13

Lurker wrote:

\

It's tough, but I've probably given you more than your share of haranguing(sp?).  I'll bite my lip for now.

#14 2008-01-27 22:30:32

tojo2000 wrote:

Lurker wrote:

\

It's tough, but I've probably given you more than your share of haranguing(sp?).  I'll bite my lip for now.

Yes, my plate of your shit is full.  Don't bite too hard.

#15 2008-01-28 21:43:33

500-Foot Asteroid Passing Earth Tuesday

Wasn't aware Earth had been devoured.....here's the story

Sorry, but I'm trying soooo hard to avoid getting my blood pressure up listening the the last (thankfully) pack of shit Bush is letting loose.

#16 2008-01-28 21:59:51

Lurker wrote:

Sorry, but I'm trying soooo hard to avoid getting my blood pressure up listening the the last (thankfully) pack of shit Bush is letting loose.

I was just driving home wondering if the Secret Service would come knocking at my door if I sent him 200 boxes of jumbo pretzels.

#17 2008-01-28 22:31:28

Lurker wrote:

I missed it.  Did he talk about going to Mars again?

#18 2008-01-28 22:39:33

tojo2000 wrote:

I was just driving home wondering if the Secret Service would come knocking at my door if I sent him 200 boxes of jumbo pretzels.

A manufactured, clappy lie-fest, yet again. He was already talking as if he had half a dozen pretzel nuggets stored in his florid cheeks. Y'kno, I have really come to doubt the wisdom of having twice elected a man who cannot even pronounce "American."

#19 2008-01-28 22:39:50

George Orr wrote:

Lurker wrote:

I missed it.  Did he talk about going to Mars again?

I only caught a few minutes, and I'm debating whether I want to find the rest.  I only caught the part where he was crowing about bringing up to 20,000 troops home, completely ignoring the fact that the 20,000 troops he would be bringing home were the "extra" ones he'd added on for the troop escalation and his own commanders were telling him that they couldn't sustain that level anyway and then segued that into somehow patting himself on the back for the improving situation between the Israelis and Palestinians, again ignoring the fact that he did fuck-all for seven years with the situation and just swept in for a photo-op recently and is apparently declaring victory now.

#20 2008-01-28 22:46:57

pALEPHx wrote:

tojo2000 wrote:

A manufactured, clappy lie-fest, yet again. He was already talking as if he had half a dozen pretzel nuggets stored in his florid cheeks. Y'kno, I have really come to doubt the wisdom of having twice elected a man who cannot even pronounce "American."

I want to slap him every time he talks about terrr*.

* As in the Global War on Terrr

#21 2008-01-28 23:20:11

tojo2000 wrote:

The pretzel story was just a cover for the time Darth Cheney had his henchmen beat the crap out of Shrub for some screw-up. I have a feeling Shrub has been sent a lifetime plus supply of pretzels.

#22 2008-01-29 00:02:48

tojo2000 wrote:

Lurker wrote:

Myself, I've been sending Cheney a box of Slim Jims every month or two.

#23 2008-01-29 00:58:41

Spacejunk smacejunk,

tomorrow an asteroid betwween 500 and 1000 feet long will pass close to earth in a near miss.

#24 2008-01-29 04:35:39

Johnny Rotten wrote:

Spacejunk smacejunk,

tomorrow an asteroid betwween 500 and 1000 feet long will pass close to earth in a near miss.

It's exciting for scientists, but for news the fact that a huge rock will pass about 300 million miles from your house is just never as impressive as a chunk of metal landing within 12,000 or so.

#25 2008-01-29 07:38:51

Particularly when that chunk of falling metal could very well contain a nuclear power source that they won't tell us about unless forced to by deaths from radiation contamination.

• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » I guess it's better than frozen shit from a jet.....

Board footer

cruelery.com