#1 2018-08-02 17:24:45

There are only two things I fear in this world more than an artillery barrage.  Volcanoes and Thunderheads.

Tonight I have Great Plains quality thunderheads in Massachusetts and I am afraid to my core.

#2 2018-08-02 17:38:14

Oh there is so much more to fear, though for artillery I will defer to those who know. Where I am now the booming and the crackle are only the portent. The fires that rage from that lightning are threatening to engulf an entire way of life. A new low pressure wave is coming, It does not bring cooling rain this time of year, it brings flame and ruin to the ridges all around. Last low was 2 weekends ago, 70 fires were started. Fire season is 2 months early this year.

#3 2018-08-02 17:51:05

And earlier every year.

#4 2018-08-02 17:51:10

But I can understand fire and what it does - I know that well.  Twisters - well I can't explain it but they just don't follow any rules and they frighten me and make me very angry.

#5 2018-08-02 18:57:32

Emmeran wrote:

There are only two things I fear in this world more than an artillery barrage.  Volcanoes and Thunderheads.

Tonight I have Great Plains quality thunderheads in Massachusetts and I am afraid to my core.

It will be OK Pumpkin. Do you want me to come up there with my box of "party favors"?

#6 2018-08-03 18:53:06

It's been frighteningly quiescent in tornado alley this year.

#7 2018-08-03 19:42:24

Just posting that article is tempting fate far too much for my liking.

#8 2018-08-06 09:26:31

I moved from a well fortified house in Florida to one that hasn't been fitted with shutters, has a broken sump pump and no generator backfeed breaker. All stuff I'm hustling to take care of PDQ because it's been quiet, maybe a little too quiet for my tastes either.

#9 2018-08-06 22:16:35

GooberMcNutly wrote:

I moved from a well fortified house in Florida to one that hasn't been fitted with shutters, has a broken sump pump and no generator backfeed breaker.

Hot water, heat & or central air in the basement, I'm guessing. Still in FL?

#10 2018-08-07 15:07:32

Fun in the Pacific.  Three tropical storms and a hurricane.
https://cruelery.com/uploads/157_2018-08-07_14-04-26.png

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#11 2018-08-07 17:24:23

I have it, on the good authority of Fox News Anchors AND the President of the United States, that those are all just a hoax being perpetuated upon us the fake news progressive liberals from Hillary land.  And even if they do exist they are Obama's fault.

And you might also notice they are all from SOUTH of the border, just another attack on proud gun-toting & god fearing Americans from the shithole countries.

Last edited by Emmeran (2018-08-07 17:25:16)

#12 2018-08-07 19:42:49

Emmeran wrote:

I have it, on the good authority of Fox News Anchors AND the President of the United States, that those are all just a hoax being perpetuated upon us the fake news progressive liberals from Hillary land.  And even if they do exist they are Obama's fault.

And you might also notice they are all from SOUTH of the border, just another attack on proud gun-toting & god fearing Americans from the shithole countries.

......and if we had my magnificent wall up already..it would protect from these storms...

#13 2018-08-07 19:57:52

Mugwump wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

......and if we had my magnificent wall up already..it would protect from these storms...

I'm sure Session's new religious liberty task force will pray away all hurricanes and tornadoes from the US of Fucking A.

#14 2018-08-07 19:59:53

Get serious, you guys. The storms are happening because California is dumping its water into the Pacific to make wildfires because liberals. Duh.

#15 2018-08-08 12:30:57

choad wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

I moved from a well fortified house in Florida to one that hasn't been fitted with shutters, has a broken sump pump and no generator backfeed breaker.

Hot water, heat & or central air in the basement, I'm guessing. Still in FL?

Still Floriduh. I do have a basement, a rarity in Florida, a walkout, built into a hill. All services are down there too. I also need to trim trees and clean some drainage pipes. Feels like it's been way too long since a doozy, makes me feel squirrelly.

#16 2018-08-10 05:06:41

GooberMcNutly wrote:

I moved from a well fortified house in Florida to one that hasn't been fitted with shutters, has a broken sump pump and no generator backfeed breaker. All stuff I'm hustling to take care of PDQ because it's been quiet, maybe a little too quiet for my tastes either.

Shutters...meh
Get yourself a cheap 18v drill, a bunk of 5/8th cdx plywood, and a jumbo pack of 3" deckmate screws and get after it. 

Sump Pump...shit in the weeds/garden, nearest palmetto, or 6" deep hole you can easily dig in that sandy stuff you call soil.

Generator backfeed...lol

Instead of some high priced auto switching nonsense, throw the "OFF" switch on the entire house and backfeed your generator through your dryer hookup. 
The additional male plug needed to splice on your existing cord is $15...and color coded.

#17 2018-08-10 09:30:56

JetRx wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Shutters...meh
Get yourself a cheap 18v drill, a bunk of 5/8th cdx plywood, and a jumbo pack of 3" deckmate screws and get after it. 

Sump Pump...shit in the weeds/garden, nearest palmetto, or 6" deep hole you can easily dig in that sandy stuff you call soil.

Generator backfeed...lol

Instead of some high priced auto switching nonsense, throw the "OFF" switch on the entire house and backfeed your generator through your dryer hookup. 
The additional male plug needed to splice on your existing cord is $15...and color coded.

Nothing scarcer than ply before a 'cane. And the sump pump drains the basement (half walkout), important if the uphill drain fills. I did the dryer backfeed in my old place, works great, but I need a breaker here because it's cheaper than running a 220v drop all the way to the garage.

#18 2018-08-10 10:03:14

Don't forget to buy a couple of chamber pots - that technique worked for hundreds of years it's really stupid to forget it now when a 5 gallon bucket with lid is only a couple of bucks down at the local hardware store.

#19 2018-08-10 12:22:07

Today I am about to go to a remote location near the largest wildfire ever in CA. Wish me luck. Actually it is not that bad anymore being mostly contained of on one forested side and a grassland fire 50% contained on the other.  The smoke from all these combined wildfires in the Nor Cal region is so thick it looks like fog off cape cod in the street lights. You can stare right into the sun at mid afternoon since it is just a big orange ball. And we are 80 miles away from the big smokers.

#20 2018-08-10 12:29:23

Tons of smoke up in Portland.  Nothing like that Johnny.

Board footer

cruelery.com