#2 2018-10-10 08:25:26

Global warming is an overpopulation issue.

Nuclear energy is, hands-down, the best option for a turnaround. 

Good luck addressing either.

Ben van Beurden's spin is understandable as several of my own spawn rake in Google-esque wages  extracting  those hydrocarbons powering you from point "A" to "B". 

The "left", I once respected, should be all over this...unfortunately they went long on pathos...ditched logos completely...and, at the moment, appear unable to focus on anything other than  tribalism, race-baiting and virtue signaling.

Last edited by JetRx (2018-10-10 08:29:22)

#3 2018-10-10 09:47:30

Yes, obviously it all the left's fault.

Last edited by Fled (2018-10-10 13:21:58)

#4 2018-10-10 11:09:35

JetRx wrote:

Global warming is an overpopulation issue.

Nuclear energy is, hands-down, the best option for a turnaround. 

Good luck addressing either.

Ben van Beurden's spin is understandable as several of my own spawn rake in Google-esque wages  extracting  those hydrocarbons powering you from point "A" to "B". 

The "left", I once respected, should be all over this...unfortunately they went long on pathos...ditched logos completely...and, at the moment, appear unable to focus on anything other than  tribalism, race-baiting and virtue signaling.

Nuclear energy is, at best, a mixed bag of blessings.
They left out on the "Cons" side that no American company has built a nuclear power plant in over 30 years so we'd be forced to rely on foreign designers losing out on jobs.

#5 2018-10-10 13:34:44

As someone who lives down river from the Hanford Works in Washington State (where the uranium for the original bombs was made), in the last 75 years we've made no progress whatsoever on how to dispose of the waste products of nuclear power. Now, contaminants are leaking out of the oldest containers and into the Columbia River.

Engineers will end up sealing whatever remaining waste they can reclaim into even larger and newer containers, and once more kick the can down the road. "We'll solve that problem later" is morally bankrupt since what we really mean is we will pass the costs and risks onto our progeny. Societies which steal from their children, rather than sacrifice for them, are societies in decline.

If nuclear waste were a small issue we would have solved it already. And you can't fully consider the economics of nuclear power until you account for the very thorny and persistent issues raised by disposal of the byproducts.

#6 2018-10-10 15:20:19

Smudge wrote:

As someone who lives down river from the Hanford Works in Washington State (where the uranium for the original bombs was made), in the last 75 years we've made no progress whatsoever on how to dispose of the waste products of nuclear power. Now, contaminants are leaking out of the oldest containers and into the Columbia River.

Engineers will end up sealing whatever remaining waste they can reclaim into even larger and newer containers, and once more kick the can down the road. "We'll solve that problem later" is morally bankrupt since what we really mean is we will pass the costs and risks onto our progeny. Societies which steal from their children, rather than sacrifice for them, are societies in decline.

If nuclear waste were a small issue we would have solved it already. And you can't fully consider the economics of nuclear power until you account for the very thorny and persistent issues raised by disposal of the byproducts.

..Bingo!

#7 2018-10-10 15:33:24

Smudge wrote:

If nuclear waste were a small issue we would have solved it already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium-b … lear_power

#8 2018-10-10 16:40:42

choad wrote:

Smudge wrote:

If nuclear waste were a small issue we would have solved it already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium-b … lear_power

Not ready for prime time, and there are numerous technological hurdles which need to be cleared for it to become a practical source of power generation.

My guess is that we will find that wind and solar will become so cheap that thorium reactors are never developed. At least not for power plants.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-disa … m-reactors

Last edited by Smudge (2018-10-10 17:37:55)

#9 2018-10-10 23:51:55

Read up...then try to buy stock.  Best play i could find was with a subcontractor or two. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/bill-ga … wer-2016-4

Hanford...lol...is that the best you can come up with after, what has it been, two or three...four decades of technological progress? 
Naturally it isn't the left's fault...doesn't come up on their radar...WHICH WAS THE POINT I WAS MAKING.

Board footer

cruelery.com