#1 2022-12-02 15:19:08

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/1458_on_this_day_in_1859_the_us_government_executed_john_brown_for_his_failed_raid_on_a_federal_armory_in_harpers_ferry_virginia_for_attempting_to_liberate_enslaved_people_brown_became_the_first_american_to_be_executed_for_treason_copy.jpg

Hero:
On this day in 1859, the U.S. government executed John Brown for his failed raid on a federal armory in Harpers Ferry, Virginia. For attempting to liberate enslaved people, Brown became the first American to be executed for treason.

Brown first gained national prominence when he led small groups of volunteers during the Bleeding Kansas crisis of 1856. He was dissatisfied with the pacifism of the organized abolitionist movement: "These men are all talk. What we need is action - action!"

In October 1859, Brown led a raid on the federal armory at Harpers Ferry, Virginia (today West Virginia), intending to start a slave liberation movement that would spread south through the mountainous regions of Virginia and North Carolina. Although Brown seized the armory, his raid was beaten militarily. Seven people were killed and at least ten were injured.

Brown had intended to arm slaves with weapons from the armory, but only a small number of local slaves were willing to join him, possibly due to an unfamiliarity with firearms. Within 36 hours, those of Brown's men who had not fled were killed or captured by local farmers, militiamen, and U.S. Marines, the latter led by Robert E. Lee.

Brown was hastily tried for treason against the Commonwealth of Virginia, the murder of five men, and inciting a slave insurrection; he was found guilty on all counts and was hanged. Brown was the first person executed for treason in the history of the United States.

"I, John Brown, am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood. I had, as I now think, vainly flattered myself that without very much bloodshed, it might be done."

John Brown Colourized: Gwyllm Llwydd

Last edited by SpacePuppy (2022-12-02 15:20:09)

#2 2022-12-02 16:30:41

He wasn't wrong, he just needed to wait less than two years to see the bloodshed begin.

I have not, as of yet, seen the MAGA crowd revere John.  Don't know if it's because he wanted to free the slaves, or if he's a "looser", or they just never heard about him in school.  The American 19th Century just seems chock full of these interesting, strange, madmen. 

#3 2022-12-03 08:41:11

Baywolfe wrote:

I have not, as of yet, seen the MAGA crowd revere John.

That's because Brown was Chaotic Good and the MAGA crowd is Lawful Evil.

#4 2022-12-04 11:04:38

BorderCount wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

If you mean that the MAGA crowd follows their own set of laws then, maybe, Lawful Evil, otherwise they're more Chaotic Evil.

#5 2022-12-05 06:07:01

Baywolfe wrote:

BorderCount wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

If you mean that the MAGA crowd follows their own set of laws then, maybe, Lawful Evil, otherwise they're more Chaotic Evil.

It's more that they have their own twisted view of the law and try to use it for their own evil ends. Case in point: using an insurrection to prevent the transfer of power.

#6 2022-12-07 21:50:05

BorderCount wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

BorderCount wrote:

It's more that they have their own twisted view of the law and try to use it for their own evil ends. Case in point: using an insurrection to prevent the transfer of power.

Yeah, but these people don't really have any kind of code or credo they live by, they're mostly just a bunch of rando assholes making shit up as they go along.  Their leaders and helpers in Congress might be LE but the average magachimp is CE.

Board footer

cruelery.com