#1 2023-07-18 12:52:41

I hear this all the time from 1st Generation Types... I got mine, but screw you.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fw … e-at-18%2F

#2 2023-07-18 17:56:19

Looks like someone's read Starship Troopers.

If I were a Republican, I wouldn't want to force people to pass a civics test to be eligible to vote. Poll after poll keeps finding that the Republican base is the uneducated potatoes of America.

#3 2023-07-18 18:18:36

Potato Salad with fake Mayo = GOP Diversity

#4 2023-07-20 11:37:37

BorderCount wrote:

If I were a Republican, I wouldn't want to force people to pass a civics test to be eligible to vote. Poll after poll keeps finding that the Republican base is the uneducated potatoes of America.

They would lose most of their House members if they had to pass a civics test.

Everyone should read Starship Troopers but avoid the "Great Bug War" movie.  Although, Time Enough For Love remains my favorite Heinlein novel.

#5 2023-07-20 17:01:36

Baywolfe wrote:

BorderCount wrote:

They would lose most of their House members if they had to pass a civics test.

Everyone should read Starship Troopers but avoid the "Great Bug War" movie.  Although, Time Enough For Love remains my favorite Heinlein novel.

Paul Verhoeven did a pretty good job making the movie a satire of the book, I think.

#6 2023-07-20 17:58:43

BorderCount wrote:

Paul Verhoeven did a pretty good job making the movie a satire of the book, I think.

I'm going to go with that because the alternative is too unthinkable.

At least Director Denis Villeneuve is making a decent version of Dune.  After Jason Momoa got the part of Duncan Idaho, I DM'd him on his Instagram account and said, "Dude, Duncan Idaho is in every fucking book.  So, if they keep making these..."

#7 2023-07-20 18:11:15

I almost fell asleep in the new "Dune". Too much atmospherics imo.

#8 2023-07-21 12:12:16

DmtDusty wrote:

I almost fell asleep in the new "Dune". Too much atmospherics imo.

That's how you should feel after reading the novel.

Compared to David Lynch's 1984 version which was a visual train wreck that played fast and loose with the script, and the Sci-Fi channel's 2000 mini-series version which was very much on-script but had some pretty pathetic SFX, this is about the best we're going to do, at least in my lifetime.

Side note, I once read all the Frank Herbert Dune novels back-to-back and was so tired of Frank's writing system that I couldn't pick up Dune again for many years after.

#9 2023-07-21 15:29:54

I read Dune for the first time in 1967-68. I honestly don't think I have read it again since the early 80's.
Some of his other books are preferable IMO, but then I haven't read them for a long time as well.

Lynch "anything" is always a train wreck, cinema wise. Perhaps my least favourite director.

#10 2023-07-22 00:00:03

DmtDusty wrote:

I read Dune for the first time in 1967-68. I honestly don't think I have read it again since the early 80's.
Some of his other books are preferable IMO, but then I haven't read them for a long time as well.

Lynch "anything" is always a train wreck, cinema wise. Perhaps my least favourite director.

I thought Mulholland Drive was a masterpiece, but then I'm in love with Naomi Watts.  And Eraserhead was just fucked up, but at least you see where some of the images of Twin Peaks hatched from.  The rest, meh.  Yeah, if it ever came down to having to shoot David Lynch or Quentin Tarantino, I have bad news for David.

#11 2023-07-22 13:09:41

Honestly, his Dune made me a bit ill. Sting? Really? I never watched another of his films if I recall correctly.

#12 2023-07-22 19:25:17

DmtDusty wrote:

Honestly, his Dune made me a bit ill. Sting? Really? I never watched another of his films if I recall correctly.

I think Sting said they kept asking him to go "over the top" on his performance because Lynch viewed the Harkonens as totally insane.

As for the rest of his works, the first season of Twin Peaks is Lynch 101, the PG rated version.

Board footer

cruelery.com