#1 2023-12-08 21:17:17

https://64.media.tumblr.com/9eeb77d503837cc36b3c478a9a7f5cf3/2dce46a181392faf-cf/s2048x3072/57167185f340ac9dbf18e95eed5c15902564ca71.jpg

From Angus McQuade, Australian Artist:

I will never support AI Art (I wouldn't call it even art - Gwyllm)

To me, like so many other artists, it is a threat to us all struggling to get our names out in the world.
It encourages art theft.
It encourages people to disregard the original artist's hard work.
It encourages plagiarism.
It shows no respect for actual artists.
It is the complete opposite of transformative art & expression.
You cannot convince me that relying on an algorithm is a good alternative for artists or newcomers when it backpedals off of other people's work. Works that can take hours, days, sometimes weeks to complete. And all it takes for an AI "artist" is a few clicks and they've got a frankensteined version of someone else's work, with painfully obvious imperfections they don't bother to correct or notice. AI art is no different than people who make Nightcore "music" and claim its hard work.

As a starving artist, this is insulting. I don't care how it works, none of that matters when art theft is strongly tied to it. It scares me that people will abuse these sources to steal jobs from people like myself who desperately want to work in the artistic field (or companies will use AI to do the job itself), and it disappoints me when others try to sell AI art and admit they didn't even draw it!

Am I a perfect artist? No. Do I strive to get better? Yes. Would I consider using it if my hands had to be amputated and I couldn't draw? I’d pay fellow artists for commissions than feed an algorithm that vomits out abominations.

I will never support these sad excuses for "artists", or its community. It will forever lack the one crucial element no artificial intelligence can replicate... Imagination. If you support this garbage community, see no issue with it, think it will be accepted over time and it is the way of the future... You are out of your mind, have lost my support, and I won't be the only real artist out there that will say the same thing.

#angusmcquadeprojects
#ampartist
#digitalart
#digitaldrawing
#digitalillustation
#art
#drawing
#illustration
#supporthumanartists
#antiaiart
#notoaiart
#NoToAIGeneratedImages

#2 2023-12-10 17:35:05

A lot of these folks are going to do a walk-back with that ALL AI IS EVIL notion.  They don't think those art programs they use right now don't have any AI in them?  There's a big difference between "the computer anticipates what you're going to do next" and "the computer anticipates what you're going to do next, and then does it for you".

#3 2023-12-11 13:09:00

Baywolfe wrote:

A lot of these folks are going to do a walk-back with that ALL AI IS EVIL notion.  They don't think those art programs they use right now don't have any AI in them?  There's a big difference between "the computer anticipates what you're going to do next" and "the computer anticipates what you're going to do next, and then does it for you".

As a user of Photoshop for art and business, I am aware of that aspect. I am on the side of the artist in this. Who gave these corporations the rights to basically steal artist works to train these Algorithms? These are not benevolent non-profit entities, but corporations who are appropriating art for their image generators. AI image generation is not art, a phraser is not an artist.

Give me Absinthe over Coke Lite.
Give me Opium over Fentanyl
Give me Human Produced Art over machine mimicry.

Last edited by DmtDusty (2023-12-11 13:09:47)

#4 2023-12-11 14:36:37

DmtDusty wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

As a user of Photoshop for art and business, I am aware of that aspect. I am on the side of the artist in this. Who gave these corporations the rights to basically steal artist works to train these Algorithms? These are not benevolent non-profit entities, but corporations who are appropriating art for their image generators. AI image generation is not art, a phraser is not an artist.

In Dune the "Butlerian Jihad" declared, "Thou shalt not make a machine in the image of man."

#5 2023-12-11 14:53:08

Baywolfe wrote:

DmtDusty wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

In Dune the "Butlerian Jihad" declared, "Thou shalt not make a machine in the image of man."

I am all for AI in medical diagnosis, science data compilation, and that which does not diminish the human component. It is a great tool for the repetitive search, etc. And now, the Pentagon is suggesting that independent weapon systems should be guided by AI. Of course they are, nothing like making science fiction into actual hellish fact.

Michael Crighton's take on Genetic Fuckwittery still stands out. “You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you’re selling it, you wanna sell it. Well…your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn’t stop to think if they should”

#6 2023-12-11 15:12:21

Jurassic Park?

#7 2023-12-11 15:23:16

It makes sense to me, in the general discussion of misapplications of technologies.

#8 2023-12-11 22:48:57

It's a fine example for sure.  Although, among the thousand or so Isaac Asimov stories I've read, I'm pretty sure he addressed it too.

Board footer

cruelery.com