#1 2024-10-23 21:49:24

So, I went to look at postings today, and found that my recent DMTDusty persona has vanished, poof! Back to Space Puppy. Any help with that?

Thanks,
D

#2 Yesterday 07:50:02

Both accounts still exist, but they have the same e-mail address connected to them. Presumably, if you do a password reset, only one of these is picked (probably the one created earliest, which is SpacePuppy).  I can think of a couple of possible solutions.

1. You can change the e-mail address for SpacePuppy to make it different.  Many e-mail providers allow the "+" trick: you can append + and extra characters to your address.  For example, foo@example.com can become foo+something@example.com.  Mail will still come to the same place, but if you use a different "something," most web sites will treat it as a separate address.  In addition to the "+" trick, Gmail also ignores any "." characters, so instead of foo@gmail.com you could use f.o.o@gmail.com.  The problem here becomes remembering which variant you used for which account when you want to do a password reset.  If there's only one account you want to actively use, you could keep that as the base e-mail address and use variants for the other accounts.

2. I can manually assign a new password to an account and e-mail it to you.  I really prefer not to do this, as it's less secure than you resetting your own password.  You can send me a private message or e-mail me (the "cruelery.com" link at the bottom of each page) to get in touch.

#3 Yesterday 15:18:14

square wrote:

Both accounts still exist, but they have the same e-mail address connected to them. Presumably, if you do a password reset, only one of these is picked (probably the one created earliest, which is SpacePuppy).  I can think of a couple of possible solutions.

1. You can change the e-mail address for SpacePuppy to make it different.  Many e-mail providers allow the "+" trick: you can append + and extra characters to your address.  For example, foo@example.com can become foo+something@example.com.  Mail will still come to the same place, but if you use a different "something," most web sites will treat it as a separate address.  In addition to the "+" trick, Gmail also ignores any "." characters, so instead of foo@gmail.com you could use f.o.o@gmail.com.  The problem here becomes remembering which variant you used for which account when you want to do a password reset.  If there's only one account you want to actively use, you could keep that as the base e-mail address and use variants for the other accounts.

2. I can manually assign a new password to an account and e-mail it to you.  I really prefer not to do this, as it's less secure than you resetting your own password.  You can send me a private message or e-mail me (the "cruelery.com" link at the bottom of each page) to get in touch.

Thanks, will attend. Busy day, rewriting code for client, ack.

Board footer

cruelery.com