#1 2007-10-12 22:36:06

Click any topic here and you notice a Report option. I'm on the receiving end of those at the moment and I'm torn; should they randomly afflict ANY admin?

No one person can read all these posts and will regularly miss Must-Showcase gems. Please take a moment to Report and elevate them to the front page.

As for 'Abusive' messages, first take a deep breath and remember where you are. Then get even and Rat them out only as a last resort.

Does the front page look ok to you guys? I tried to link those posts to their threads inside. Any other ideas?

#2 2007-10-12 22:52:17

I like the front page, mainly because the "masthead" picture (the one that always stays at the top) does a fine job of camouflaging the actual content (and intent) of High-Street, so I can url on over while I'm at work without putting my job in immediate jeopardy.

I didn't know we could recommend links for the front page.  I'm about to "report" that "talent show far, far away" video.  That is absolute torture.

#3 2007-10-12 22:56:48

I'm glad you pointed that out, I hadn't even paid attention to the Report option.  I'd be happy to help deal with abuse type reports, but those are probably few and far between compared to elevating topics.  Frankly I suck at deciding what's topic-worthy... but I'll serve (badly) if called.

Actually, while I'm still cussing BBSCode and getting used to this format, it seems to be working fairly well.  My overexposure to the latest regurgitastic layout of Cruel makes me really appreciate being able to pick my own skins.

#4 2007-10-12 22:57:18

choad wrote:

As for 'Abusive' messages, first take a deep breath and remember where you are. Then get even and Rat them out only as a last resort.

If any posts get reported as abusive here, I would prefer for you to mark them somehow so I don't miss reading them.  Also, maybe you could note who reported it, just so, y'know, we can be more aware of others' feelings ; )  But only if you have the time.

#5 2007-10-12 23:01:46

George Orr wrote:

I like the front page, mainly because the "masthead" picture (the one that always stays at the top) does a fine job of camouflaging the actual content

That image location is up for grabs, too. Nominations gleefully accepted.

I didn't know we could recommend links for the front page.  I'm about to "report" that "talent show far, far away" video.  That is absolute torture.

Yuh, I was the 'Matt Drudge' who called it that. Any admin can post to the front page. And George? Are you cereal? Is your brain oatmeal mush? It is Friday night.

#6 2007-10-12 23:08:53

I agree with George that a stealthy front page is a good thing.  I suggest we keep displayed images mundane.

#7 2007-10-12 23:11:31

Agree with Ops.  Something that looks more like an Excel Spreadsheet or SQL Database would be ideal...

#8 2007-10-12 23:25:24

Roger_That wrote:

Agree with Ops.  Something that looks more like an Excel Spreadsheet or SQL Database would be ideal...

Don't want to have to defibrillate 'em. Maybe something arty or one of George's kebabbed kitties. Anyway, send in your nominations.

#9 2007-10-12 23:38:46

I was delighted to find that H-S dot org flies in under the radar of my employers' "no fun allowed" filters. Cruel was totally blocked as "tasteless" - an apt description, of course. However, most of the links posted here are blocked, so the overall situation at work has changed little for me. And the front page appearance matters little when the links are of the type we love and cherish. You'll get busted sooner or later - some day you won't manage to alt-tab quite fast enough.

#10 2007-10-12 23:50:24

sigmoid freud wrote:

most of the links posted here are blocked, so the overall situation at work has changed little for me.... You'll get busted sooner or later - some day you won't manage to alt-tab quite fast enough.

Rats. Wouldn't matter, then, if we hosted our own naughty pitchers, huh? It's a technical problem; surely there's a solution.

#11 2007-10-12 23:55:18

Another voice from the past, hadn't noticed you here freud.  A fairly large contingent of the old crowd have shown up, I'm hoping they'll be convinced to stay. 

You're right of course, eventually this domain will be blacklisted, but in the meantime, we have an unsubpoenaed space to dance in.

#12 2007-10-12 23:58:11

That's what IP Tunneling is for.

Or Proxy Servers.

#13 2007-10-13 00:41:53

Roger_That wrote:

That's what IP Tunneling is for.

Mmmm, tunneling.

#14 2007-10-13 04:53:14

Roger_That wrote:

Maybe we can just add a Boss Key link in the corner.

#15 2007-10-13 08:55:52

While you're tinkering with the site, it could use description tags in the headers so you get a steady stream of fresh meat from search engines.

Look at how High Street looks to Google right now:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:hig … w&filter=0

If you can mess with the templates, put a description tag in the headers with the first 120 or so characters of a topic. This topic would have this description:

<meta name="description" content="Click any topic here and you notice a Report option. I'm on the receiving end of those at the moment and I'm torn; should they randomly afflict ANY admin?" />

Also, I'd take the subtitle out of the page title and move High Street to the end:

<title>Front Page - High Street</title>

#16 2007-10-13 09:13:23

choad wrote:

Click any topic here and you notice a Report option. I'm on the receiving end of those at the moment and I'm torn; should they randomly afflict ANY admin?

I'd just assumed that you'd not yet had the opportunity to figure out how to disable that particular "feature."

opsec wrote:

I agree with George that a stealthy front page is a good thing.  I suggest we keep displayed images mundane.

Considering the URL's similarity to highstreet.org, here's my entry:
http://www.timelessteaching.com/members/1750315/uploaded/Bibles_Stack.jpg

#17 2007-10-13 10:34:08

rcade wrote:

If you can mess with the templates, put a description tag in the headers with the first 120 or so characters of a topic.

Thanks, I've puzzled over this but still don't know which way to jump. PunBB does next to nothing with templates. I can generate a sitemap and a static page for Google to crawl, though.

#18 2007-10-13 11:50:42

Looks like the change requires some PHP hacking:

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=17181

There's a new version coming up that might handle it better:

http://punbb.org/

#19 2007-10-13 16:03:06

rcade wrote:

Looks like the change requires some PHP hacking:

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=17181

Damn and thanks. That was painless and I scrolled right past it yesterday. My vicar insisted sooner or later I'd go blind.

#20 2007-10-13 16:38:04

I'm seeing this in the header ...

<pun_include "meta.php">

... instead of the output. I looked around for a cause and couldn't find one.

#21 2007-10-13 19:36:13

opsec wrote:

Frankly I suck at deciding what's topic-worthy... but I'll serve (badly) if called.

The evidence proves you wrong.

That's wonderful.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#22 2007-10-13 19:47:52

choad wrote:

opsec wrote:

Frankly I suck at deciding what's topic-worthy... but I'll serve (badly) if called.

The evidence proves you wrong.

That's wonderful.

You picked a cruel way to Tom Sawyer me into it.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#23 2007-10-13 22:44:22

rcade wrote:

I'm seeing this in the header ...

<pun_include "meta.php">

... instead of the output. I looked around for a cause and couldn't find one.

It choked on several earlier hacks, not least of which was RSS syndication. Can't have that, eh?

Guess it'll have to wait.

Board footer

cruelery.com