#51 2008-05-08 03:48:17

fnord wrote:

I also had several years of Latin in high school, which is a big help when I encounter unfamiliar French or Spanish words.

I wish to hell I'd had the chance to learn Latin in school. That would have made so much in language studies easier later on.

#52 2008-05-08 05:41:31

Taint wrote:

My favorite Spanish is Argentinean Spanish; it was selected as the worst accent in all Latin America in a poll I read a while back. I love that it sounds like Italian. I also like Argentinean guys, but that's neither here nor there.

Spanish from Spain always cracks me up.  The huge lisp sounds like a caricature of a flaming homosexual to me (not to disparage the gays or the lisp-afflicted, but you know what I mean).  My sister had a boyfriend from Mexico though that really liked it.  To him it sounded more...cultured, I guess.

I liked the accent from Costa Rica when I was a kid, because I thought it was fun to roll my R's.

The one language that I feel like I should be able to understand but just can't is Portuguese.  I can usually read it fairly well, but I can't understand  a word of it.

#53 2008-05-08 12:46:40

fnord wrote:

I also had several years of Latin in high school, which is a big help when I encounter unfamiliar French or Spanish words.

Though I think it's a repost, I can't resist.

Board footer

cruelery.com