#2 2008-10-07 13:35:58

The fact that all of this, evidently, occurred indoors quite convinces me Australia will continue to do well without my presence.

#3 2008-10-07 13:50:47

Taint wrote:

The fact that all of this, evidently, occurred indoors quite convinces me Australia will continue to do well without my presence.

I have been invited down next year for speaking engagements... still debating.  I was bitten by a black widow spider, and had some real consequences.  This spider will kill you outright.

#4 2008-10-07 14:20:14

Virtually everything alive in Australia is full of poison...except the people,
http://www.rum.cz/galery/aus/au/bundaberg/img/au45.jpg
and they're working on it pretty hard.

#5 2008-10-07 14:22:13

if you *must* go, then dont forget your bubble-boy outfit.  I don't care what you look like in it, but those nasties stay *outside*

#6 2008-10-07 14:33:21

Dmtdust wrote:

I have been invited down next year for speaking engagements...

OK, now I have to know what you'll be talking about.

#7 2008-10-07 17:54:08

Dmtdust wrote:

Taint wrote:

I have been invited down next year for speaking engagements... still debating.  I was bitten by a black widow spider, and had some real consequences.  This spider will kill you outright.

What was it like? I live in an area with Black widows and Brown Recluses. I've always thought, forced into a choice,  I would rather get bit by the Widow since it's a neurotoxin and my understanding was that it just caused horrible pain and the worst flu symptoms you've ever felt, then you get better. In contrast, the Recluse's hemotoxins will eat away part of your body permanently.

What am I missing about the widow bite? My understanding is that they're only life-threatening to kids.

#8 2008-10-07 17:55:37

I'm stepping out, I'll tell you about it when I get back.

#9 2008-10-07 20:30:36

So I woke up one morning in L.A. .... rolled off my tatami mat, and found a red swelling on my left chest.  Thinking I had been bit by a spider, I cleaned the spot, and went to work.

Over the next couple of days, the glands under my arm started to swell, and by the time I went to the doctor it was the size just bigger than a golf ball.  also, the bite had the following markings (that turned out to be bites)  I was sore, and had a low grade fever along with it

15 points in all (much larger though) 

The doctor said it was a black widow.

He gave me antibiotics, and 2 days later, the same marks showed up on my back, showing that the infection had worked it's way through my trunk....

It was a very uncomfortable feeling.

#10 2008-10-07 21:29:11

Dmtdust wrote:

But you got better, with no permanent damage?

#11 2008-10-07 22:54:50

DupeOrNot wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

But you got better, with no permanent damage?

Do you mean physically or psychologically?

#12 2008-10-07 23:59:10

I luv antibiotics.  Nope, I am fine really I am.  I sure I am.  Taint?

#13 2008-10-08 00:11:36

Of course, you're fine, Dusty. Here, have a nice cup of cocoa and sit in the corner just like we talked about earlier. Good boy.

#14 2008-10-08 01:17:06

I need to see what the trial research says, but 3 years ago someone hit upon a novel solution to getting bit by spiders and such with venom that kills tissue like the recluse or hobo spider. Typical treatments to neutralize the venom and fight infection often fail and the wound can expand to the bone requiring repeated surgical removal of dead tissue. The venom  contains substances that shut down the capillaries around the expanding necroptic wound.

These spiders do not always inject venom in a bite but if they do apparently sticking a scopolimine patch over the initial bite or later, a patch doughnut cutout on an expanding wound can save you much misery. It works by counteracting the venom's capillary contracting effects, opening up the localized bloodflow to the affected tissue which allows the body's immune response and venom neutralizing enzymes along with any antibiotics to get to the affected tissue.

Another potentially useful gift to us from the nightshade family.

Last edited by Johnny_Rotten (2008-10-08 01:18:23)

#15 2008-10-08 01:32:34

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

I need to see what the trial research says, but 3 years ago someone hit upon a novel solution to getting bit by spiders and such with venom that kills tissue like the recluse or hobo spider. Typical treatments to neutralize the venom and fight infection often fail and the wound can expand to the bone requiring repeated surgical removal of dead tissue. The venom  contains substances that shut down the capillaries around the expanding necroptic wound.

These spiders do not always inject venom in a bite but if they do apparently sticking a scopolimine patch over the initial bite or later, a patch doughnut cutout on an expanding wound can save you much misery. It works by counteracting the venom's capillary contracting effects, opening up the localized bloodflow to the affected tissue which allows the body's immune response and venom neutralizing enzymes along with any antibiotics to get to the affected tissue.

Another potentially useful gift to us from the nightshade family.

Thank you, thank you, God!!!

#16 2008-10-08 02:13:29

whiskytangofoxtrot wrote:

Thank you, thank you, God!!!

Like I said I need to see the results of research, but the doc who reccomended this says it works like a charm, nearly  completely eleviating  further tissue damage in people with strong immune responses.

My new terror of the deep is the Irukandji. And it is of course a tiny yet delightful denizen of downunder.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/359_irukandji-jellyfish-04.jpg

No one has ever been able to milk enough of the venom to even know what it really is or what it does.

The Discovery channel had a show where they caught on camera 2 scientist getting stung. One was affected worse then the other even though she only got hit by a few nematocyst that were on a stray tentacle on the outside of her glove when she took it off.

The next scenes were of her in the hospital thrashing in pain, her feet clenching and curling in rythmic spasms. They described how the main aspect of the venom was stress from the never ending pain rather then cardiac arrest or somesuch deadly systemic effect. Even though she had been given the maximum dose of morphine, while all doped up and googly she described for the camera  it as being no help to mimmize the sufferring. Which while diminishing some proceded to go on and on for 2 weeks.

The other scientist got off easy with only a 2 day ordeal, commenting thus:

Jamie, at his worst, is also seen writhing in pain, curled up in a ball and barely able to speak. Jamie said he wished that he was stung by Chironex fleckeri instead since "the pain goes away in 20 minutes or you die".

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

Last edited by Johnny_Rotten (2008-10-08 02:14:59)

#17 2008-10-08 03:02:29

Back in Alaska, unless you were eaten by a bear, stomped by a moose, or cornered by Sarah, the worst you had to deal with was mosquitoes.

#18 2008-10-08 03:02:56

I think I saw that same documentary.  For years nobody believed it existed because they could find no proof.

#19 2008-10-08 03:10:59

tojo2000 wrote:

I think I saw that same documentary.  For years nobody believed it existed because they could find no proof.

What didn't exist? Sarah?

#20 2008-10-08 03:31:08

Taint wrote:

tojo2000 wrote:

What didn't exist? Sarah?

I think he means Ceratopogonidae.

#21 2008-10-08 08:56:03

Or you could just get hit by a bus in Manhattan or get Legionnairs Disease on a cruise ship. The world is an interesting place, full of cool ways to die.

#22 2008-10-08 13:46:30

http://www.bergoiata.org/fe/divers39/Great_White__1_.jpg

Hey guyz don't forgit bout me. Guyz! Hey! I'm still scary! Hey!!!!1! (lolshark)

#23 2008-10-08 13:56:40

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

Awesome.  Do you have a name on the doctor who developed this, or maybe a link to an article or paper about it?

Board footer

cruelery.com