#1 2008-10-08 11:03:23

At home
&
abroad.

Last edited by MSG Tripps (2008-10-08 11:45:32)

#2 2008-10-08 14:58:59

When knitting needles are outlawed, the terrorists will resort to crochet hooks.

#3 2008-10-08 15:43:25

http://www.pressrepublican.com/homepage/images_sizedimage_278220010/xl
"Copyright infringement."  Of an SUV.  Using crochet.

I wonder what they were really harassing her about.

#4 2008-10-09 02:09:10

George Orr wrote:

http://www.pressrepublican.com/homepage … 8220010/xl
"Copyright infringement."  Of an SUV.  Using crochet.

I wonder what they were really harassing her about.

Well she is a prof.. And we all know what dangerous bastions of anti-Americn leftism universities are.

I found it interesting that they used as the excuse, copyright infringement of the image of an SUV. No doubt the customs agent learned this in her training. Last year there was an IP case that made its way to the supreme court docket. If I remember correctly, in it the US automakers  were suing a website that was essentially a fan site oriented around modelmaking for using images of their autos. Except the images were not taken from some published material but were fan created digital drawings and photos.

The lawsuit took a few years to make it through the federal  court system and was far from decided when the customs agent probably recieved her training. Still if it was decided in the manufacturers favor it was so broad it could very well have made it a crime to use in any way a picture you took, or even sketched of someones product on the street.

Fortunately the Supreme court ruled against the manufacturers preserving your right to design a dildo cozy for anything you want. It is interesting whose side customs and the  government are deciding precedent for even before the courts rule.

Last edited by Johnny_Rotten (2008-10-09 02:29:49)

#5 2008-10-09 07:41:49

sounds to me as though Big Oil has control over the borders, not Homeland Security

#6 2008-10-09 09:52:16

"I was taken to a room and told to sit on a bench with handcuffs at both ends. But they did not handcuff me."

Oh the horrors of having to sit on a bench for a half hour in the vicinity of (gasp!) handcuffs.

I had to spend more time than that at the exact same border crossing while immigration debated if my trip to Nova Scotia had constituted "being on a farm" or not.

#7 2008-10-09 16:10:51

Yeah goober, but did they do a warrentless cavity search of your electronic devices and find your pictures of Canadian farm animals?

#8 2008-10-09 17:07:54

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

Yeah goober, but did they do a warrentless cavity search of your electronic devices and find your pictures of Canadian farm animals?

Gentlemen never tell and farmers never take pictures. Besides, it was a pot farm, not an animal farm.

Plus, if the DHS can crack the security on my USB key, I deserve it.

Board footer

cruelery.com