#1 2008-10-28 09:55:39

http://www.united-nations-of-beer.com/images/innis-gunn-original-21028.jpg

http://www.innisandgunn.com/

*sticky this so we can sample the horrible taste in alcohol JLP has.*

Last edited by Scotty (2008-10-28 10:05:50)

#2 2008-10-28 09:57:02

Dude, it's 9:00 a.m. here.  I'm drinking vanilla soy milk.

#3 2008-10-28 09:59:26

Guinness. It's 10:00 here.

A good breakfast drink alone, and also makes a tasty Irish Car Bomb for lunch!

#4 2008-10-28 10:04:35

headkicker_girl wrote:

Clarification, "Currently" carries two connotations around these heyah pots:

1) The penchant most High Streeters have for self medication clearly means some of us are actually drinking copious amounts of alcohol at any given time during the day.

2) It also means what is currently at the top of your Happy Hour want list.

Thread rule, since I am the OP, please provide a link to the brewery/distillery/bathtub where your concoction is created so we can learn more.

Alternate Thread Title:

http://www.ddimas.com/images/5%20oclock%20somewhere.png

#5 2008-10-28 10:09:14

Scotty wrote:

headkicker_girl wrote:

Clarification, "Currently" carries two connotations around these heyah pots:

1) The penchant most High Streeters have for self medication clearly means some of us are actually drinking copious amounts of alcohol at any given time during the day.

2) It also means what is currently at the top of your Happy Hour want list.

Thread rule, since I am the OP, please provide a link to the brewery/distillery/bathtub where your concoction is created so we can learn more.

Alternate Thread Title:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Car_Bomb

http://www.ddimas.com/images/5%20oclock%20somewhere.png

#6 2008-10-28 10:13:29

1.  Lagavulin 16 year single malt (when there is money burning a hole in my pocket)

2.  Bulliet bourbon on the rocks (when there is not)

Last edited by Fled (2008-10-28 10:13:43)

#7 2008-10-28 10:18:27

I'm having a morning-cap of my favourite Islay tipple:
http://i35.tinypic.com/25u5jmd.jpg
This particular nectar changed the way I relate to scotch.
Before Ardbeg I was a Highland drinker - the Macallan, etc. -sweetish, heather-toned flavours.
Ardbeg tromps across your tongue with its jackboots on: peat, iodine, smoke and fish all caught between the nails...but somehow it all balances out to create a smooth and delicious scotch.

#8 2008-10-28 10:21:31

I'm drinking a God Damned Yuengling with my breakfast of bacon, scrambled eggs and (non-psychoactive, alas) mushrooms.

It is fantastic.

Generally I favor a good wheat beer: Erdinger and Franziskaner are a couple personal favorites.  In terms of liquor I stick mostly to bourbon these days: George Dickel's #12 mash, usually, unless I can afford a good cask strength bourbon.

Last edited by jesusluvspegging (2008-10-28 10:24:09)

#9 2008-10-28 10:23:23

jesusluvspegging wrote:

I'm drinking a God Damned Yuengling with my breakfast of bacon, scrambled eggs and (non-psychoactive, alas) mushrooms.

It is fantastic.

So...you're confessing to urolagnia?

#11 2008-10-28 10:33:17

Pale Ale #2 (my brew)

Wahrsteiner when I'm on the commercial stuff.

When I'm flush I prefer this:

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/wineglobe-store_2024_55889347

#12 2008-10-28 10:35:05

I haven't had that one, Emm, I'll have to hunt down a bottle.

#13 2008-10-28 10:37:25

jesusluvspegging wrote:

Only the best, find it here

#14 2008-10-28 10:38:24

Emmeran wrote:

jesusluvspegging wrote:

119 bucks?  Mary's shredded hymen, no wonder I haven't had any.

#15 2008-10-28 10:41:20

Akevitt right out of the freezer.

#16 2008-10-28 10:45:43

MSG Tripps wrote:

Akevitt right out of the freezer.

I love that stuff.  It's like drinking rye bread, if rye bread fucked you up.

Last edited by jesusluvspegging (2008-10-28 10:45:57)

#17 2008-10-28 10:56:50

Mezcal and a padded room.

#18 2008-10-28 11:03:43

MSG Tripps wrote:

Mezcal and a padded room.

Ever had any pulque?

#19 2008-10-28 11:33:58

jesusluvspegging wrote:

Pulque

Honestly I don't know.  I drank stuff [alcohol] in Mesoamerica that I had very little clue about.

#20 2008-10-28 11:35:38

MSG Tripps wrote:

jesusluvspegging wrote:

Pulque

Honestly I don't know.  I drank stuff [alcohol] in Mesoamerica that I had very little clue about.

It's a somewhat sour cactus beer.  Good stuff.

Last edited by jesusluvspegging (2008-10-28 11:36:48)

#21 2008-10-28 11:38:45

jesusluvspegging wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

jesusluvspegging wrote:

119 bucks?  Mary's shredded hymen, no wonder I haven't had any.

It's a two year bottle, I only have occaisional's from it - if I want more I drop down to Woodford Reserve or that ilk.

#22 2008-10-28 12:12:36

Friends arrived from the south of France, bringing me a bottle of Versinthe, Absinthe.  A product of Provence.  Tasty.

#23 2008-10-28 15:32:56

http://i35.tinypic.com/2w2hlcn.jpg

#24 2008-10-28 15:58:51

Tonic or cola?

#25 2008-10-28 16:13:03

I stick with the classics:

http://www.tequilasource.com/bottles/pics/patron-silver_3002_r2.jpg

http://www.trinigourmet.com/wp-content/uploads/10CaneRum.jpg

#26 2008-10-28 16:32:35

I currently have a bottle of this

http://www.casanoble.com/products/repomoodsm2.jpg

on order.

Casa Noble

Last edited by Scotty (2008-10-28 16:33:10)

#27 2008-10-28 16:43:24

I'm drinking Jenkem.

#28 2008-10-28 16:44:12

I have both in my possession right now.  I also have a few good bottles of wine waiting, namely some fine Chataneuf du Pape from the Rhone.

#29 2008-10-28 16:47:29

Patrone = Great. The only tequila I can drink way too much of and not have a hang around upon sobering. Patrone & tonic w/ a lime twist.

#30 2008-10-28 16:50:42

Dmtdust wrote:

Friends arrived from the south of France, bringing me a bottle of Versinthe, Absinthe.  A product of Provence.  Tasty.

Dusty and I favor this particularly mind-numbing beverage drizzled over shaved ice.  I bought two bottles about two years ago from a French shop and had them shipped over.  I still have some left.  A little goes a long way.

#31 2008-10-28 17:35:44

I recently tried Sophie's Gin and Fresca, it is actually pretty good.

#32 2008-10-28 19:57:33

phreddy wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

Dusty and I favor this particularly mind-numbing beverage drizzled over shaved ice.  I bought two bottles about two years ago from a French shop and had them shipped over.  I still have some left.  A little goes a long way.

Well, you have good taste in some things Phwedd... there is no denying.  I got some locally produced (as in from California) in the last week or so.  Yummy!

#33 2008-10-28 20:47:34

There are only two drinks I'll partake of...  Straight Johnny Walker Black Label, and a dry martini made from Tanqueray gin.........

#34 2008-10-29 01:38:56

phreddy wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

I'll have to hunt down a bottle of that.  I've tried a couple absinthes (both foreign and domestic (the Kubler Swiss Absinthe Blanc) and liked them.

I can watch an absinthe louche all fucking day.

#35 2008-10-29 01:45:41

Dirckman wrote:

There are only two drinks I'll partake of...  Straight Johnny Walker Black Label, and a dry martini made from Tanqueray gin.........

If you like dry gin (as opposed to the nasty Dutch stuff), you should really try this one.
I used to go for the Tanq or the Bombay, but not any more.
http://i37.tinypic.com/dzfj13.jpg

Last edited by WilberCuntLicker (2008-10-29 01:46:40)

#36 2008-10-29 02:16:27

jesusluvspegging wrote:

phreddy wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

I'll have to hunt down a bottle of that.  I've tried a couple absinthes (both foreign and domestic (the Kubler Swiss Absinthe Blanc) and liked them.

I can watch an absinthe louche all fucking day.

Same here.  Yeah, the Versinthe comes with a spoon.  I thought I would share a pic of a fountain that I use:

I use 2 types of sugar; Serbian (superior crystals) or 'Saint Louis' from France.  Try not to use American or Canadian sugars, usually too many bleachings.

#37 2008-10-29 02:26:46

Dmtdust wrote:

I use 2 types of sugar; Serbian (superior crystals) or 'Saint Louis' from France.  Try not to use American or Canadian sugars, usually too many bleachings.

That's a lovely fountain. 

I have yet to meet an absinthe that needs sugar.  Of course, I haven't tried that many of them...

#38 2008-10-29 02:31:34

jesusluvspegging wrote:

I have yet to meet an absinthe that needs sugar.  Of course, I haven't tried that many of them...

Try making your own. Then forget about it (literally) and let it sit in the back of a closet for 15 years. You'll need sugar to keep you from turning into a black hole of bitterness. It will not taste pleasant, but if you're one of the few who can get it down without puking, you're in for a lovely time.

#39 2008-10-29 02:41:07

I use sugar as I like a slightly sweet taste, and as it is ermm.... traditional.  I first drank Absinthe 31 or so years ago, and no sugar was used.  I picked up the habit over time, and after investigating... 

I will drink a shot of absinthe when I am testing it.  I have some 6 varieties now in the cabinet, and they all are unique.  I am quite fond of it, I have to admit.  I don't drink hard spirits generally, except for Absinthe which I share with friends when they visit. 

The fountain adds to the ceremony, and watching the Louche, well what could be better?

Oh... and my favourite spoon ( Of which I have a large collection) The Toulouse Luatrec self designed spoon:

#40 2008-10-29 02:56:32

Damn, Dusty - I'm jealous. How old is the spoon? 19-Century or repro? Any chance it was used to part the labia of a can-can girl at Folies Bergeres by the dwarf himself?

#41 2008-10-29 03:05:50

Reproduction.  There were only some 10 originals, and I could not afford one  (5ooo Euros last time I checked if I remember correctly). 

I do have a friend that went to visit his relatives in Switzerland (he is second generation Yank) and, he mentioned absinthe spoons.  They opened up an old cabinet, and gave him the 50 or so that they had, from the early 19th century up to the early 20th century.  Now, that makes me jealous.

#42 2008-10-29 03:20:57

There's a guy making real absinthe about 5 hours away from me. Apparently his product is pretty good, and it's in the liquor stores. I know what I'm doing this weekend. La louche! La fee verte! Je viens!

#43 2008-10-29 03:22:05

I know nothing about absinthe. I do know what the spoon is used for, but the fountain? What does it do?

#44 2008-10-29 03:34:47

Taint wrote:

I know nothing about absinthe. I do know what the spoon is used for, but the fountain? What does it do?

It dribbles the water slowly over the spoon, so that the drink takes longer to louche.

#45 2008-10-29 03:43:30

And louching is like steeping, I suppose? I guess I should look this up.

#46 2008-10-29 03:48:01

Taint wrote:

And louching is like steeping, I suppose? I guess I should look this up.

When you mix water with absinthe, the oils in the absinthe cause the drink to change color/opacity.  It's a really beautiful effect, and the fountain drags out the process.

#47 2008-10-29 04:24:09

Mixing the water with the absinthe is also supposed to release la fee verte (the green fairy), the mellow sting in the beautiful wormwood tail. (The effect is from the thujones in the wormwood. Here, for the pharmacologically inclined:

Metabolism and action of alpha- and beta-thujones

H. Schmandke, Nuthetal

The neurotoxic alpha- and beta-thujones found in the essential oils of e. g. wormwood, sage, clary, tansy, juniper, cedar, thyme and rosemary are contained in absinthe, vermouth and spices. They block the gamma-aminobutyric acid type A receptor in dorsal root ganglion neurons resulting in epileptiform convulsions.

By cytochrome P450 system hydroxylation, orally administered thujones are mainly metabolized to 7-hydoxy-thujones, but also to 2- and 4-hydroxy-thujones. 3-Hydroxy-thujans and dehydrothujones are also formed. The hydroxy-products, after glucuronidation, are excreted via urine. These metabolites are less toxic than the initial thujones. After i.p. injection of a-thujone in mice, the brains of mice have shown higher concentrations of 7-hydroxy-a-thujone than of alpha-thujone. The relevance of this result for the mode of neurotoxic action is unclear.

A NOEL of 5 mg thujone/kg bw is only based on subchronic studies in female rats. Therefore an ADI has not been not established so far.

In Europe, maximum admissible thujone concentrations are 0.5 mg/kg in food and beverages, 5–35 mg/kg in alcoholic drinks, and 25 mg/kg in food products containing sage.

Key words: alpha-thujone / beta-thujone / metabolism

Sie finden den Artikel in deutscher Sprache in Ernährungs-Umschau 10/05 ab Seite 404.

zurück

and more:

Detoxification of alpha- and beta-Thujones (the active ingredients of absinthe): site specificity and species differences in cytochrome P450 oxidation in vitro and in vivo.

Höld KM, Sirisoma NS, Casida JE.

Environmental Chemistry and Toxicology Laboratory, Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management, 114 Wellman Hall, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720-3112, USA.

Alpha- and beta-Thujones are active ingredients in the liqueur absinthe and in herbal medicines and seasonings for food and drinks. Our earlier study established that they are convulsants and have insecticidal activity, acting as noncompetitive blockers of the gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)-gated chloride channel, and identified 7-hydroxy-alpha-thujone as the major metabolite and 4-hydroxy-alpha- and -beta-thujones and 7,8-dehydro-alpha-thujone as minor metabolites in the mouse liver microsome-NADPH system. We report here unexpected site specificity and species differences in the metabolism of the thujone diastereomers in mouse, rat, and human liver microsomes and human recombinant P450 (P450 3A4), in orally treated mice and rats, and in Drosophila melanogaster. Major differences are apparent on comparing in vitro microsome-NADPH systems and in vivo urinary metabolites. Hydroxylation at the 2-position is observed only in mice where conjugated 2R-hydroxy-alpha-thujone is the major urinary metabolite of alpha-thujone. Hydroxylation at the 4-position gives one or both of 4-hydroxy-alpha- and -beta-thujones depending on the diastereomer and species studied with conjugated 4-hydroxy-alpha-thujone as the major urinary metabolite of alpha- and beta-thujones in rats. Hydroxylation at the 7-position of alpha- and beta-thujones is always a major pathway, but the conjugated urinary metabolite is minor except with beta-thujone in the mouse. Site specificity in glucuronidation favors excretion of 2R-hydroxy- and 4-hydroxy-alpha-thujone glucuronides rather than those of three other hydroxythujones. Two dehydro metabolites are observed from both alpha- and beta-thujones, the 7,8 in the P450 systems and the 4,10 in urine. Two types of evidence establish that P450-dependent oxidations of alpha- and beta-thujones are detoxification reactions: three P450 inhibitors block the metabolism of alpha- and beta-thujones and strongly synergize their toxicity in Drosophila; six metabolites assayed are less potent than alpha- and beta-thujones as inhibitors of [(3)H]ethynylbicycloorthobenzoate binding to the GABA(A) receptor in mouse brain membranes and as toxicants to Drosophila.

So there you go. The thujones fuck with GABA. I'm getting some.)

Last edited by WilberCuntLicker (2008-10-29 06:04:32)

#48 2008-10-29 13:32:25

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

There's a guy making real absinthe about 5 hours away from me. Apparently his product is pretty good, and it's in the liquor stores. I know what I'm doing this weekend. La louche! La fee verte! Je viens!

We have a licensed distiller here that 'makes' absinthe.  Integrity Spirits.  I have had their stuff a couple of times, and they are a long way off from having a product I will share with friends.  They serve it like barbarians at their local pub, The Green Dragon (which has some great beers).  I was pretty offended by the delivery.

Anyway, I have two private party distillers, one in California, and another in the Northern Cascades outside of Seattle who make absinthe, and various concoctions.  One of them makes an excellent Belgian, bittered with Salvia Divinorum.  That is a wonderful brew.  He makes a variety of Absinthes as well.   

The other makes a Khat liquer that is to die for, that has an incredible citrus base to it. 

I like the unusual....

yer Pal,
Dusty.

Last edited by Dmtdust (2008-10-29 13:33:03)

#49 2008-10-29 21:16:45

Wilber - What kind of offspring do you expect when the thujones fuck with GABA?  I have no experience with absinthe, but on general principle would love to try it.

http://i35.tinypic.com/ngoh0z.jpg

#50 2008-10-30 09:44:22

Fled wrote:

Wilber - What kind of offspring do you expect when the thujones fuck with GABA?  I have no experience with absinthe, but on general principle would love to try it.

http://i35.tinypic.com/ngoh0z.jpg

A little photoshop and that may be the label for my next Thujone infusion.

Board footer

cruelery.com