#1 2008-11-28 15:39:41

My mom has an 11-year-old chihuahua with an enlarged heart and fluid in his abdomen.  Other than moving a little slow, he seems fine, i.e., he does not act like he's in any pain or distress, still has a good appetite, etc.  There's nothing you can do for a dog with an enlarged heart other than give him high blood pressure medication and diuretics.  My mom is worried that the medication will actually make him feel worse that he does now and wants him to just die a natural death.  Thoughts?

#2 2008-11-28 16:04:15

A chihuahua? Has she tried a really flavorful mole sauce with a side of fresh corn tortillas?

#3 2008-11-28 16:38:34

wtf??  Honestly, ask a vet.

Or, what Taint said.

#4 2008-11-28 17:08:01

Coming out from years of lurking....
My primary cat was diagnosed with an enlarged heart (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) about two years ago. Having spent big bucks curing his other health problems, I had to give the meds a chance (BP med and diuretic). Except for some wheezing, you'd never know he's sick. He plays like a kitten and beats the shit out of back-up cat.
Retreating back into the dark corners now....

#5 2008-11-28 17:12:44

What that chihuahua needs to feel better is a special friend to give him hugs.

#6 2008-11-28 17:35:34

Roger_That wrote:

Or, what Taint said.

Girl, you know vets are only out to take your money.  This jackass was already talking about keeping the dog for a few days for testing and observation, which he could not estimate the cost of.  Pussylover's take was what I was looking for...if the dog is likely to be fine on meds, then that's the route she should take; if he's likely to experience additional bad shit which would just lead to a painful existence for what's left of his life, then it would be better to take him home and let him die in peace.

Besides, the little fucker wouldn't be good eating.  He's all fat.

#7 2008-11-28 17:36:14

PussyLover wrote:

Coming out from years of lurking....
My primary cat was diagnosed with an enlarged heart (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) about two years ago. Having spent big bucks curing his other health problems, I had to give the meds a chance (BP med and diuretic). Except for some wheezing, you'd never know he's sick. He plays like a kitten and beats the shit out of back-up cat.
Retreating back into the dark corners now....

Thanks for the useful advice.

#8 2008-11-28 17:43:59

I would give it a chance.  Many people have their lives extended for years through the use of blood pressure medication and diuretics.  Be aware that the dog will need to pee more often, so more walks will be needed to keep your mom’s place from smelling like a nursing home.

#9 2008-11-28 18:03:11

headkicker_girl wrote:

Roger_That wrote:

Or, what Taint said.

Girl, you know vets are only out to take your money.  This jackass was already talking about keeping the dog for a few days for testing and observation, which he could not estimate the cost of.  Pussylover's take was what I was looking for...if the dog is likely to be fine on meds, then that's the route she should take; if he's likely to experience additional bad shit which would just lead to a painful existence for what's left of his life, then it would be better to take him home and let him die in peace.

Oh, I know.  I used to work as a vet tech for years.  I unfortunately had nothing to add that would help you with your question, so I opted for "eat the problem".

You know...if you can't beat them, eat them.

#10 2008-11-28 18:30:57

All you can do is wait until there's no use. I've killed* and buried several elderly, dysfunctional  dogs and cats. 21 year-old cat. 18-year old dog. Spent the rest of the day crying.

I didn't cry for my parents because at age 8 I realized that they'd die some day, and cried for them then.

* "put to sleep" is so stupid. A bullet into the rear skull. You owe them a painless death, and you should do it yourself. Kind, loving final words and bang.

#11 2008-11-28 19:03:52

sigmoid freud wrote:

Kind, loving final words and bang.

What is it you do for a living again?

#12 2008-11-28 20:03:31

sigmoid freud wrote:

* "put to sleep" is so stupid. A bullet into the rear skull. You owe them a painless death, and you should do it yourself. Kind, loving final words and bang.

This makes perfect sense to me.  It's certainly less terrifying to the little guys than a trip to the vet (which is always traumatic for them) and summary execution by a total stranger.  This way they're in a familiar environment ("what are we doing behind the woodshed, daddy?") with someone they know and you're taking the responsibility for your pet upon yourself, as it should be.

#13 2008-11-28 20:07:38

Well, I suspect using an injection of whateverthehell they use is less traumatic for everyone involved. Honestly, I'd prefer to be put out of my misery with a nice simple injection than with a shot gun to the head - what gets left behind is a little too horrendous for everyone else left behind.

I've never understood why it was always considered humane to put animals down but not people.

#14 2008-11-28 20:10:25

Taint wrote:

Well, I suspect using an injection of whateverthehell they use is less traumatic for everyone involved. Honestly, I'd prefer to be put out of my misery with a nice simple injection than with a shot gun to the head

You would think that, because you are a sapient.  Fortunately, little Spots is not, and has no such preferences.

#15 2008-11-28 21:18:31

headkicker_girl wrote:

My mom is worried that the medication will actually make him feel worse that he does now and wants him to just die a natural death.  Thoughts?

We're talking about a chihuahua here.  It doesn't deserve to die a peaceful natural death.  A violent unnatural death is far more appropriate for such an abomination.

#16 2008-11-28 21:38:07

In the long run, Headkick, if the dog is happy and enjoying himself, despite whatever ailments he may be suffering, I'd let him go on enjoying his life. Once he no longer seems to take any pleasure in living, then it's probably time to go.

#17 2008-11-28 21:40:51

My in-laws have a chihuahua.  She was a "rescue dog," from a puppy mill, and she's a runt.  She is literally a rat-dog--the size of a healthy rat.  She's not nasty but she's permanently paranoid; she spends most of her time cowering but when she's feeling brave she growls and barks at people from a safe distance.

But she's the only dysfunctional chihuahua I've ever encountered.  All the others were surprisingly intelligent animals, and very friendly and sweet-natured.  I know all the lap-dog breeds are supposed to be little psychos, but that's not been my experience with chihuahuas.

#18 2008-11-28 21:41:59

How is it that we don't have a genuine "dog LOVER"?

#19 2008-11-28 22:48:50

jesusluvspegging wrote:

How is it that we don't have a genuine "dog LOVER"?

Because we just ARE, and don't need to prove it with lulz.

#20 2008-11-28 22:50:11

I'm just saying, it's odd that we haven't attracted a "zoophile" yet.  Unless...

#21 2008-11-28 23:04:45

I asked my dad (a veterinarian) and he strongly reccomended the medication.......

#22 2008-11-28 23:38:43

She's going with the meds and the fat bastard is coming home tomorrow.

#23 2008-11-28 23:39:19

headkicker_girl wrote:

My mom is worried that the medication will actually make him feel worse that he does now and wants him to just die a natural death.

What are the side effects of the medications?  If your vet can't help you with that, you can at least find the active ingredients and check it out.  The dog seems fine now and if your mom is not delusional, she can tell if her dog is really still enjoying life, and that's pretty much all that counts.  The worst is when people keep their pet alive and in pain because they can't deal with the psychological trauma of losing them or what the hell ever.

It sounds like you have the dog's best interests in mind, so just find out about side-effects and the effects of delaying treatment, and do what you think is right.

#24 2008-11-29 00:20:43

jesusluvspegging wrote:

I'm just saying, it's odd that we haven't attracted a "zoophile" yet.  Unless...

Ur kweer.

#25 2008-11-29 00:46:11

asdf1971 wrote:

Damn, where have you been?  Did you and tits_matilda run off together over the summer?

#26 2008-11-29 00:52:00

square wrote:

Did you and tits_matilda run off together over the summer?

As enticing as that sounds, I'll have to leave that to your imagination.

#27 2008-12-01 14:42:56

Roger_That wrote:

headkicker_girl wrote:

Roger_That wrote:

Or, what Taint said.

Oh, I know.  I used to work as a vet tech for years.  I unfortunately had nothing to add that would help you with your question, so I opted for "eat the problem".

You know...if you can't beat them, eat them.

Well, RT, I certainly can't beat you soooo.......

When can I get started?

#28 2008-12-01 14:53:54

What I Killed Today

#  a flea ridden dachshund with a softball sized tumor that had grown so large it had broken through the skin and was necrosing.
# an emciated geriatric ferret who was wasting away.

#29 2008-12-01 15:09:20

# a hamster with a severe rectal prolapse.

#30 2008-12-01 15:45:13

Roger_That wrote:

# a hamster with a severe rectal prolapse.

I caught that.  I think our schizophrenic retard has had other pets...

#31 2008-12-01 16:34:50

jesusluvspegging wrote:

What I Killed Today

#  a flea ridden dachshund with a softball sized tumor that had grown so large it had broken through the skin and was necrosing.
# an emciated geriatric ferret who was wasting away.

I don't think it's fair to include the inadvertent roadkill. Stick with the deliberate stuff.

#32 2008-12-01 18:23:28

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/Walther/upload/images/firearms/WAP22007.jpg

#34 2008-12-01 20:59:24

What's with the kid toys??

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/826/826377/haze-20071010034450401.jpg

#35 2008-12-01 21:05:31

https://cruelery.com/uploads/6_dinoridersseries1picture.gif

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#36 2008-12-01 21:32:11

In our family of dog lovers, and i have four (a  maltese with canine down's syndrome, a three legged terrier, a chihuahua/cthulhu mix, and a large  mastiff/great dane ball of neurosis who's the canine Wallace Shawn... ANYWAY...the rule in our family is that once they can't poop without shitting themselves and the house, their dignity is compromised and it's time to move on to the next spiritual plane. Meds, shoved in the back of the throat wrapped in a little tasty mortadella, is no problemo IF it makes them feel better, but life saving and prolonging operations aren't that effective in -for chrissakes, in your case, a 77 year old in human years.

Feed the little fucker, let him roam the dog park, and if he starts feeling worse, cut the meds or whatever. And skip the bullet to the head, my God, these guys are a bunch of fucking armchair rambos. What do you want to bet when they all hit the skids they'll be sobbing for the feeding tube and just a little more time.. Nothing wrong with a little injection-my dad's an anesthesiologist and swears it's painless- and a large donation to http://www.bestfriends.org/ in Wee Man's honor...

our own little leatherface
http://i38.tinypic.com/161nerd.jpg

Last edited by icangetyouatoe (2008-12-01 21:41:34)

#37 2008-12-01 21:57:04

Son, you'd best speak more respectfully of the Para 1911 SSP.

Also, I had completely forgotten about Dino Riders and the inherent awesomeness thereof.

Last edited by jesusluvspegging (2008-12-01 21:57:56)

#38 2008-12-01 22:07:57

Now, THIS is an SSP:

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020k2pjRJKmQBivajzbkF/SIG=13magdeqv/EXP=1228273590/**http%3A//www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/transportation/images/Kenner%2520SSP%2520Page/jetstarred2.JPG

#39 2008-12-01 22:36:09

icangetyouatoe wrote:

And skip the bullet to the head, my God, these guys are a bunch of fucking armchair rambos. What do you want to bet when they all hit the skids they'll be sobbing for the feeding tube and just a little more time.. Nothing wrong with a little injection-my dad's an anesthesiologist and swears it's painless- and a large donation to http://www.bestfriends.org/ in Wee Man's honor...

I take offense to that.  I'll have you know I've personally killed every sick pet our family has owned by shooting it with Tyrannosaurus-mounted lasers.

#40 2008-12-01 23:53:41

tojo2000 wrote:

I take offense to that.  I'll have you know I've personally killed every sick pet our family has owned by shooting it with Tyrannosaurus-mounted lasers.

I used a bigger Tyrannosaurus-mounted laser.

#41 2008-12-02 07:21:45

http://i35.tinypic.com/2m47sq9.jpg

#42 2008-12-02 07:37:52

Fled, you'll see that image again and again and again and I'm sure at least one of them will look hideously distorted.

#43 2008-12-02 09:30:03

http://www.sanjuanenterprise.com/assets/images/whiteHandle1lg.jpg

#44 2008-12-02 11:20:51

tojo2000 wrote:

icangetyouatoe wrote:

And skip the bullet to the head, my God, these guys are a bunch of fucking armchair rambos. What do you want to bet when they all hit the skids they'll be sobbing for the feeding tube and just a little more time.. Nothing wrong with a little injection-my dad's an anesthesiologist and swears it's painless- and a large donation to http://www.bestfriends.org/ in Wee Man's honor...

I kind of imagine when you are in your cubicle, during any down time, you draw airplanes and make airplane noises. xx

#45 2008-12-02 16:11:07

Is it for killing cows or boston terriers?

Board footer

cruelery.com