#1 2015-11-26 07:21:29

And greetings from Pilgrim Central.

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/gobblegobble.png

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#2 2015-11-26 08:36:44

You're welcome, and likewise. And now back to your regularly scheduled Fuck You.

#3 2015-11-26 11:36:40

Thank YOU, choadbag. Hope you are wearing your best Pilgrim costume today.

#4 2015-11-26 12:15:35

Oh, that day again:

#5 2015-11-27 10:59:35

Dmtdust wrote:

Oh, that day again:

And that picture pretty much sums up what the first Thanksgiving was actually like in the minds of the local indians. Including the actual head of their leader which the Pilgrims chopped off and took with them

Responding to threats on the slovenly failing colony of naer do well english outcasts  to the north, the Pilgrim Governer unleashed Miles Standish to do his dog of war thing.

Under the guise of diplomacy, trade and meeting to air disputes, Standish threw a sit down feast of prized salt pork for the boastful Massachsetts warriors and their wives with the children gathered about.

"The next day, Standish arranged to meet with Pecksuot over a meal in one of Wessagusset's one-room houses. Pecksuot brought with him Wituwamat, a third warrior, an adolescent boy (Wituwamat's brother) and several women. Standish had three men of Plymouth and Hobbamock with him in the house. On an arranged signal, the English shut the door of the house and Standish attacked Pecksuot, stabbing him repeatedly with the man's own knife.[49] Wituwamat and the third warrior were also killed. Leaving the house, Standish ordered two more Massachusett warriors put to death. Gathering his men, Standish went outside the walls of Wessagusset in search of Obtakiest, a sachem of the Massachusett tribe. The Englishmen soon encountered Obtakiest with a group of warriors and a skirmish ensued during which Obtakiest escaped.[50]

Having accomplished his mission, Standish returned to Plymouth with Wituwamat's head.[51] The leaders of the alleged plot to destroy the English settlements had been killed and the threat removed, but the action had unexpected consequences. The settlement of Wessagusset, which Standish had, in theory, been trying to protect, was all but abandoned after the incident. Most of the settlers departed for an English fishing post on Monhegan Island. The attack also caused widespread panic among Native Americans throughout the region. Villages were abandoned and, for some time, the Pilgrims had difficulty reviving trade.[52]"

#6 2015-11-27 12:33:06

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

The settlement of Wessagusset, which Standish had, in theory, been trying to protect, was all but abandoned after the incident. Most of the settlers departed for an English fishing post on Monhegan Island.

In other words, a barren north atlantic outcrop boasting fewer inhabitants today than it had then.

#7 2015-11-27 12:48:30

"I have quoted John Winthrop's words more than once on the campaign trail this year—for I believe that Americans in 1980 are every bit as committed to that vision of a shining "city on a hill," as were those long ago settlers...." Ronbo Raygun.

#8 2015-11-27 13:13:01

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/12308411_10154411860328986_8605074967074255378_n.jpg?oh=526603d86af51369e010310563be1222&oe=56E41048

#9 2015-11-27 13:40:07

Fuck Cranberries.

Any berry that requires sugar or booze to be edible is not a berry.  And by way of flavor comparison the plastic decorative cranberries sold down at Walmart are tastier than the real thing.

How did this ever become a thing?

#10 2015-11-27 14:19:55

Emmeran wrote:

Fuck Cranberries.

Any berry that requires sugar or booze to be edible is not a berry.  And by way of flavor comparison the plastic decorative cranberries sold down at Walmart are tastier than the real thing.

How did this ever become a thing?

Refined cane sugar got cheap in the late 1860s after the victorious north invested its civil war plunder in Caribbean slave plantations.

2014-10-30: Cranberries

#12 2015-11-27 21:04:49

choad wrote:

And greetings from Pilgrim Central.

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/gobblegobble.png

Happy Birthday Choad.

I grew up in Rowley... Ezekiel Rogers in the house.

#13 2015-11-27 23:43:34

Chuck Schick wrote:

Another wide spot the road I haven't seen since I was kid. If its small population is any guide, Rowley hasn't changed much. Lots of swamp, punctuated by more swamp. Like here.

#14 2015-12-04 19:48:34

choad wrote:

Chuck Schick wrote:

Another wide spot the road I haven't seen since I was kid. If its small population is any guide, Rowley hasn't changed much. Lots of swamp, punctuated by more swamp. Like here.

We called it marsh... it's a swamp, but marsh sounds so much better doesn't it?

The smell of salt water marsh brings me back... my in-laws live near you, I never made it to the south shore much when I lived there.

#15 2015-12-04 22:12:06

Chuck Schick wrote:

The smell of salt water marsh brings me back.

Ever wake suddenly thinking you're there? That smell haunted my better dreams for each of the 40 years I wandered the desert. I know I was happiest as a kid up to my knees in it's primordial ooze. Ate into my soul early somehow.

#16 2015-12-04 23:14:02

choad wrote:

Chuck Schick wrote:

Ever wake suddenly thinking you're there? That smell haunted my better dreams for each of the 40 years I wandered the desert. I know I was happiest as a kid up to my knees in it's primordial ooze. Ate into my soul early somehow.

I have never woke up thinking I was there, right after I left the Navy I used to wake up suddenly and think I was still in- that was unpleasant.

I do remember eating steamed clams in the summer. Playing in the woods, eating wild blueberries and banging the girl up the street in those same woods.

#17 2015-12-05 23:19:13

Chuck Schick wrote:

choad wrote:

Chuck Schick wrote:

I have never woke up thinking I was there, right after I left the Navy I used to wake up suddenly and think I was still in- that was unpleasant.

I do remember eating steamed clams in the summer. Playing in the woods, eating wild blueberries and banging the girl up the street in those same woods.

I never woke up smelling it, but I have woken up feeling I was still on the sailboat long after I'd left her at the harbour... feeling the rocking as I lay in the morning.

#18 2015-12-06 01:37:40

whosasailorthen wrote:

I never woke up smelling it, but I have woken up feeling I was still on the sailboat long after I'd left her at the harbour... feeling the rocking as I lay in the morning.

To the beat of halyards tapping tide and wind velocity on aluminum masts? Umm, no, I just meant the fecund funk here at the asshole end of Buzzards Bay is distinctive, especially at low tide.

Board footer

cruelery.com