#1 2009-06-07 00:35:30

My mother was diagnosed with sarcoidosis and pulmonary fibrosis about a year and a half ago.  The doctors told her about the sarcoidosis and treated her for it accordingly, but failed to make her aware of the pulmonary fibrosis.  She's been going downhill since then and three days ago my dad took her in to the hospital to see if adjustments or treatments could be made to fix the sarcoidosis.  That's when the truth finally came out and it has hit our entire family like a ton of bricks.  Life expectancy for someone with pulmonary fibrosis is 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 years after diagnosis and the diagnosis is already 1 1/2 years old.  My mom has dealt with a lot of horrific health issues over the last decade and I've always been able to ease her mind by always talking about the glass being half full.  I don't have that option this time around because this disease is completely irreversable with no remedy or cure and we both know that.  What can you do for a person with a terminal illness to make things better for them?  Do you pretend like it's not there?  Do you discuss it openly?  If anyone knows of a good way to approach this please tell me, I'm out of ideas here.

#2 2009-06-07 00:49:42

Jesus.

I've never had to face a situation like this myself--but I know several of the other people here have done so, and some recently.  Give them a day or two to respond.

You're in my thoughts, for the little that is worth.

#3 2009-06-07 00:58:40

I am sorry you're going through this.

When I did home hospice nursing, it always seemed to me that the people that were best adjusted spoke openly of their diagnosis and talked about and did things that made them happy. The people in denial seemed miserable.

As a fellow Sagittarius, I can totally understand having difficulty facing hard and unpleasant things. Your positive attitude will most likely be one of the things that helps her feel better.

#4 2009-06-07 01:14:32

sofaking wrote:

I am sorry you're going through this.

When I did home hospice nursing, it always seemed to me that the people that were best adjusted spoke openly of their diagnosis and talked about and did things that made them happy. The people in denial seemed miserable.

As a fellow Sagittarius, I can totally understand having difficulty facing hard and unpleasant things. Your positive attitude will most likely be one of the things that helps her feel better.

She's being open and candid about the whole situation, but I can tell that she's extremely depressed.  What hit me the hardest was when my dad told me about how she keeps telling him over and over again that she's not ready to die yet.  I've promised myself to visit as often as I can and to do as much as I can for her because she has gone the extra mile for me.  She also took it upon herself to take care of both of her parents to the very end and by example I feel as if I should do the same.  My dad and myself talked her into going out into the country to feed the cows today which seemed like a good escape from reality.  It was a partial escape, but reality was on all of our minds the entire time.  I've had a lot of rough points in my life, but this is the one rough point that I have hated the most.

#5 2009-06-07 01:31:22

Read this:

http://changingminds.org/disciplines/ch … r_ross.htm

It will help you understand what she's going through.

#6 2009-06-07 01:44:40

Dirck, you are in my thoughts with your Mom, and Dad who needs a heck of a lot of support right now.  I will be back to you, but make sure you are by and often.  Talk to her, and let her know you love her.  (this sounds simple, and yes it is) more tomorrow, off to bed.

#7 2009-06-07 01:52:01

Dirck, I've been through the AIDS and Hepatitis ordeals with a number of friends, and Sofie's right, those who are open about their diagnoses and ailments and who talk about them fare best. It doesn't mean it will solve their problems, of course, but emotionally, they're usually more able to deal with what's happening. If your mother's willing to talk about it - indeed, if she wants to talk about it - let her. Listen to her. It may be hard for you to do that because it will no doubt open a whole onslaught of emotions for you, too, but my experience has been it's the best approach for most people. Besides, people with terminal illnesses are often full of great, black jokes about their experiences.

This is awful news; my thoughts go out to you and your family.

#8 2009-06-07 08:48:30

Dirck,

My mom has a brain tumor. We've been through 2 surgeries and radiation but at this point there's not much more we can do. It's a horrible situation when you see someone you love slowly getting worse. In the past, we used to joke about it (she led here - it's definitely gallows humor), but lately she's been more resigned, and openly stating that she may not be around much longer. Sofie's link is a good one, because your mom is going through her own acceptance process at the same time as the rest of you.

I'll repeat what others have said: let her know she's loved. Do things together that she enjoys. Take a shitload of photos. Ask people to share with her how she has impacted their lives so that she knows she's made a difference in this world. You are all in my thoughts.

#9 2009-06-07 09:54:05

Coming out of my dark corner to offer a few words that I hope will help.

First, try not to dwell on any given life expectancy time. If you give someone 6 weeks to live, sure enough that's as long as they'll last. Instead of counting time left, focus more on making the time left count.

Second, get hospice services as soon as possible. Too many times people don't obtain hospice services until the very last days or even hours. The services that they provide are all encompassing. Not only do they provide medical services, but they also provide emotional and spiritual support to everyone involved. Each hospice has their own criteria and you may not yet qualify. Keep trying though. I've been a nurse for far too many years and am always impressed by the quality and caring given by hospice. Go talk to a few of them and see just what they can do to help.

When speaking/listening to your Mom, keep in mind that this is her journey and experience. No one knows what she's going through unless they too have been in her shoes. All you can do is understand that it is difficult and profound and be there to help her though.

All the rest, hospice will help you with.

Hope this helps a little. Wishing you peace before going back into the shadows.

#10 2009-06-07 10:20:19

I'm sorry, Dirk.

From experience (Uncle Ray, 1992) I can give the following advice -

Follow her lead when it comes to conversation. Never say "let's not talk about that." or "you shouldn't worry about that." That will turn her thoughts inward and make her more depressed.

Show her as much beauty as you can. Art, music, poetry - it provides a temporary escape and has a soothing effect.

If at all possible, arrange for her last days to be spent at home surrounded by her family and most loved acquaintances rather than a sterile, impersonal hospital room.

Peace be with you and your family.

#11 2009-06-07 11:47:13

Dirck - I am sorry about your mother's illness.  I agree with the advice you are getting about telling her how you feel about her, and doing the things together that she likes to do.  I am no expert, but I think talking about it openly and giving her opportunities to express herself is the way to go.  She may move through the depression more quickly if she opens up some and finds you and your father are with her all the way.

My father died of cancer, and the last 8 months of his life it was clear how the course would go.  While he was still ambulatory and could communicate effectively, we went out to dinner, visited parks, went for walks, etc.  Once his condition deteriorated, we got involved with hospice was incredible -- helpful in many ways and allowed him to die at home with his family close at hand.  My father really enjoyed the nurse hospice provided, and the counselor was extremely helpful to my mother, particularly in reaching the point where she could tell my father that it was okay for him to let go.

#12 2009-06-07 13:58:29

From my experience with a close friend who died of cancer, two things. One is, talk to her. Really. Like, "what do you think, what do you feel, what do you want to do now? How can I help?" There is no time for bullshit. The other is, don't shut her out because it's too painful. I can't tell you the number of great conversations I had with my friend, alone in her room, because everyone else was too wrecked and sad and depressed to actually be sitting in there with her. They were too busy calling/arranging/fixing/shopping/vacumning/cleaning/rushing around to actually just sit there and be with her. Not knocking them, either, some people just can't handle that, and that's okay. Everyone deals in their own way. But just walking with her through the whole thing, laughing, discussing the possibilities or not of an afterlife, discussing her life, the things she wanted still to do, the things she hadn't yet done...was an incredible learning experience and I really believe made her last days really as meaningful as anything that had come before. Yeah, it sucks. But keeping it real, and connecting in an authentic way-that's what matters. Ask her questions. Ask her the hard questions you were afraid to ask before. Share what your real shit is. Be real with her. It will fill her up. And make you whole.

#13 2009-06-07 17:09:28

You’ve been given good advice in regards to your mother.  What I want to talk about is your father.  He is the one who will bear the brunt of dealing with your mother’s ups and downs and his needs may very well be overlooked in the months ahead.  He’s the one who will have to deal with emotional breakdowns at 3 am.  He’s the one who will have to deal with craziness brought on by pain meds, sleeping pills, and tranquilizers given around the clock on a regular basis.  If frequent treatments are required, he’s the one who will have to rearrange his life to make sure they get done.  He may start sleeping at strange hours and for short periods of time several times per day depending on when she needs the most attention.  And he will find his own life is being put on hold and he is becoming isolated because of her needs.

I know about this because I’m living it right now.  My partner of 17 years has prostate cancer and the last two years have revolved around surgery, radiation treatments, medical appointments, and at times procedures at home that I’ve had to take care of.  Hospice is not an option until a determination has been made that death is likely within six months, so until then I am the primary caregiver.  I’m fortunate in that there are people in my life who understand what is going on and make the effort to be there for me and help me deal with my own feelings about the situation.

I can only express sympathy for you, your mother and father, and everyone else whose lives are going to be affected by your mother’s illness.

#14 2009-06-07 17:32:55

My mom lived only about a year after they found the liver cancer. What can you do when there's nothing you can do? Tough question. We all tried just to be as normal as possible under the circumstances, and I don't know what else to say except hang in there.

#15 2009-06-07 17:40:34

I have to ditto what everyone else said.  When my dad died last April from prostate cancer it was difficult, because he did not reach acceptance until the very end. You will just have to follow your mom's lead.  If she is in denial, let her be in denial.  If she wants to talk about it, let her talk about it.  Just try to spend as much time with her as possible and try to keep her involved in as many activities as possible that will keep her distracted.

Also, someone mentioned hospice service and getting it early...this is great advice.  They will usually supply a counselor or social worker to work with the person to help them deal with their issues and they will also be a resource for the family.

#16 2009-06-07 18:20:27

I was going to bring up HOSPICE... it is nice that someone did.  Believe me.. this is a wonderful alternative to the Fucking Hospital and the Ghoul's in its' and the Insurance Co's....

Counseling again... think about it for you,and your Dad.  Be sure to tell your parents that you love and honor them, especially if you do and haven't said it enough (believe me, don't leave this off).  Your asking friends real and interwebby is a good sign Dirck that your emotional ticker is working.  Do it all, in love.

D

#17 2009-06-07 19:59:11

Everyone has given good advice.  I'll just say that I can empathize and wish you and yours an easy journey, Dirck.

#18 2009-06-07 20:07:00

Thanks a lot everyone...  This stuff just sucks and you have to work your way through it all.  All of the advice that you've given has been consistent and much of it from personal experience so it really has helped a lot.

#19 2009-06-08 01:47:04

fnord wrote:

You’ve been given good advice in regards to your mother.  What I want to talk about is your father.  He is the one who will bear the brunt of dealing with your mother’s ups and downs and his needs may very well be overlooked in the months ahead.  He’s the one who will have to deal with emotional breakdowns at 3 am.  He’s the one who will have to deal with craziness brought on by pain meds, sleeping pills, and tranquilizers given around the clock on a regular basis.  If frequent treatments are required, he’s the one who will have to rearrange his life to make sure they get done.  He may start sleeping at strange hours and for short periods of time several times per day depending on when she needs the most attention.  And he will find his own life is being put on hold and he is becoming isolated because of her needs.

I know about this because I’m living it right now.  My partner of 17 years has prostate cancer and the last two years have revolved around surgery, radiation treatments, medical appointments, and at times procedures at home that I’ve had to take care of.  Hospice is not an option until a determination has been made that death is likely within six months, so until then I am the primary caregiver.  I’m fortunate in that there are people in my life who understand what is going on and make the effort to be there for me and help me deal with my own feelings about the situation.

I can only express sympathy for you, your mother and father, and everyone else whose lives are going to be affected by your mother’s illness.

Oh, Fnord.

I'm sorry for you, too.

*hugs*

#20 2009-06-08 02:40:53

sofaking wrote:

Oh, Fnord.

I'm sorry for you, too.

*hugs*

Thank you Sofie.  It’s very odd how we’ve all changed over the years.  Ten years ago none of us would have discussed our private lives or the details of our own or our loved ones' ailments.

#21 2009-06-08 08:39:27

I am having a smaller dose of this right now (only smaller because this is a friend that I like a lot but am not super close to).  My friend beat breast cancer at the age of 26...and this month out of nowhere (at age 29) found out that not only is the cancer back, but it's stage 4, and terminal.  They have given her 1-3 years.  At 29.  I have been processing for a month.  I still don't know what to say or do, other then listen when she needs to talk...and I have taken care of what I can financially for her so she doesn't have to worry about stupid things like paying bills/medical bills while she's trying to 'enjoy' the rest of the time she has left.  She has a wonderful support system of friends who are all helping with this. 

I will say, that she is very open about this.  She talks about it with whomever wants to know.  She keeps a blog updated to let us know how she feels, what is going on.  She goes to cancer walks and other related events to support others in the same situation.   She appears to be doing well.  But how 'well' is doing well?  She seems to be happier then I would expect.

Anyways, my point is, I'm not really sure...what to recommend.  Though I have to agree, it seems that people that are more open and willing to face the situation are 'happier' then those who don't or can't. 

All I can recommend is to make sure that there is really nothing else she has to focus on aside of that which is important  - enjoying her time with her family and doing whatever it is she *wants* to do.   There are no easy answers. 

I'm sorry.  And I wish the best for you and yours in this tough situation.

RT

#22 2009-06-08 09:45:06

fnord wrote:

sofaking wrote:

Oh, Fnord.

I'm sorry for you, too.

*hugs*

Thank you Sofie.  It’s very odd how we’ve all changed over the years.  Ten years ago none of us would have discussed our private lives or the details of our own or our loved ones' ailments.

I know, huh? Zookie may think we all "sold out", but I would have gone a long time ago if it were still a shit-slinging hatefest.

You all have changed from people I was kind of scared of, to some great friends who know more about me than many of my acquaintances do.

#23 2009-06-08 11:33:49

Fnord...

I was really shaken to read this about the partner.  I wish you both an easing of the way with this.

D

#24 2009-06-08 14:25:11

I hope you have a lot more time than you think and that it's good.  My Mom was told she would be dead before the end of the year from liver cancer.  That was fourteen years ago and she's still hell on wheels, taking my youngest sister to Europe this summer.  She didn't want to talk to any of us about it and got so mad when my Dad told us she quit going to the doctor.

#25 2009-06-08 14:34:50

hedgewizard wrote:

I hope you have a lot more time than you think and that it's good.  My Mom was told she would be dead before the end of the year from liver cancer.  That was fourteen years ago and she's still hell on wheels, taking my youngest sister to Europe this summer.  She didn't want to talk to any of us about it and got so mad when my Dad told us she quit going to the doctor.

That's sort of controversial, even in medical circles.  When they say you have x time to live, what they're really saying is "out of 100 people with your condition, the majority fall within this window."   They must be mindful of giving people false hope, however.

#26 2009-06-09 03:31:14

Jesus.  What a heavy thread.  Thank you, Fnord, for bringing it to my attention.  I've been remiss in posting so I've been missing out on everything.

Dirck, I remember when I first met your costumed member online.  As Sofa said, we have really grown from a group of animosity filled enemies into...dare I say...Friends?  (perhaps it would be better to characterize us as a dysfunctional group therapy session...)

In my experience, if someone's going to accept fate, then they're going to accept it.  If not, they won't.  There's no need to shy away from any subject, or force any conversation.  As everyone has already said, follow her lead.  If your Dad is close to her, keep an eye on him as well.

And I'm worried about you too!  Don't be afraid to mourn as well.  Far too often people suppress their own emotions because they feel that they're not allowed to, because they're not the ones dying.  Obviously, don't do it in front of her, and don't dwell on it too long, but let yourself deal with it too.  I'm thinking of you, and I hope sincerely that everyone is able to come to terms with this.

Now, Fnord, my heart goes out to you.  I can't imagine losing the one you love.  In some ways, we all prepare to lose our parents (although that never makes it easy), but its always difficult to come to terms with your soulmate's mortality.

The only thing that pisses me off about this damned message board is that I can't reach out, give ya'll hugs and buy you a beer.  (or, at times, throttle you senseless).

Good luck everyone.  :(

Board footer

cruelery.com