#1 2015-03-22 17:38:27

Greetings.  High Street is currently running on some decrepit software and I am in the process of helping choad set up a new server.  Setting up a new and shiny operating system and infrastructure software is pretty straightforward, but PunBB, our forum software, is obsolete and has been replaced by FluxBB.

Our version of PunBB has been hacked up pretty severely to add new functionality.  The purpose of this topic is to try to identify everything we've added.  Later on, we'll talk about which of these we actually want to keep and then the process of finding (or writing) analogous mods for FluxBB can begin.

The good news is that unlike Rogers, we intend to keep all the post history.  There are minimal changes to the database structure from PunBB to FluxBB, so it shouldn't be too difficult to import the data.

Here are the items I can think of:

1. Top-banner image upload and voting (custom hack)
2. Side-banner display (custom hack)
3. Polls (AP_Polls mod)
4. Static pages (AP_Custom_Pages mod) - there are only five of these: About High Street, Toys Go Boom, The Venomous Blotoad, Show Us Your Perkies!, and Cruel History.
5. Private messages (AP_Private_messaging mod)
6. Allow HTML in posts (AP_allow_html mod, plus possibly some other hacks to the code)
7. BBCode toolbar for editing posts (Easy_Visual_BBCode mod)
8. Ignoring users (custom mod)
9. Generic image upload (Automatic Image Upload with Thumbnails mod by Koos)
10. Numerous hacks to alter post display to remove avatars, etc. (custom hack)
11. Front page (custom hack)
12. CAPTCHA for new user registration (custom hack)

If you can think of more, please post below and I'll add them to the list.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

Last edited by square (2015-03-23 23:33:38)

#2 2015-03-22 19:25:53

Can I just say that you are awesome?  And also, thanks very much.  You too, choad.

#3 2015-03-22 20:31:25

Will it be quicker?

#4 2015-03-22 20:46:38

George Orr wrote:

Can I just say that you are awesome?  And also, thanks very much.  You too, choad.

You'll find no disagreement from me.

You already know what I want: a way to edit/replace banners without major disruption.

Last edited by Tall Paul (2015-03-22 21:00:01)

#5 2015-03-22 20:59:08

Thanks, George.  orangeplus deserves a lot of credit for setting up things in the beginning.

As for speed, both PunBB and FluxBB are lightweight compared to most other forum software.  I see occasional pauses when loading pages, but so far have been unable to ascribe these to any particular cause.*  (I am on a very slow connection, so may be experiencing different behavior than others.)

Hopefully once we're on a cleaner setup either the problems will go away or the reasons will be more apparent.

*One problem was the hourly log analysis job which consumed a lot of memory and CPU around 18 minutes after the hour - I reduced the amount of history being processed which made this job complete much more quickly.  It doesn't seem to have fully fixed things, though.

#6 2015-03-22 21:09:13

Tall Paul wrote:

You already know what I want: a way to edit/replace banners without major disruption.

Currently you can upload a new banner and delete the old version.  Do you mean something other than that?

#7 2015-03-22 21:22:28

A, nice to have, would be animated GIFs not running until you move your mouse over them.

#8 2015-03-22 21:58:57

square wrote:

Tall Paul wrote:

Currently you can upload a new banner and delete the old version.  Do you mean something other than that?

I can do that with my own banners, certainly, but there are many others crying out for a minor cosmetic tweak or two. Download/delete/upload would work but would also put my name on them, and nobody wants that.

For example, pALEPHx deserves the credit for this, but I doubt he meant to include the white single-pixel vertical lines on each end. Right now there's no way to correct that easily. And as you know deleting the file doesn't actually delete anything, it just makes it a little harder to access.

https://cruelery.com/header/hs_strange_creatures.jpg

#9 2015-03-23 00:21:22

Ah, I understand now.  This is possible, but will have to think of the best way to implement it.

In the meantime, if you want to replace a banner, either choad or I can go in manually and replace a file on the server.  PM me with your requests.

#10 2015-03-23 09:28:38

Ever since the migration to HS I have always been perturbed by the fact that if I post and notice a small error in my post and make that change immediately the post shows I edited it.  Every other forum I am or have been on there is a delay of a few minutes wherein you can make edits without the post reflecting that you did so.

It is such a minor complaint that I probably wouldn't give it much thought but it annoys me and you asked.

#11 2015-03-23 13:27:48

Scotty wrote:

Ever since the migration to HS I have always been perturbed by the fact that if I post and notice a small error in my post and make that change immediately the post shows I edited it.  Every other forum I am or have been on there is a delay of a few minutes wherein you can make edits without the post reflecting that you did so.

It is such a minor complaint that I probably wouldn't give it much thought but it annoys me and you asked.

(what he said)

#12 2015-03-23 17:30:53

Scotty wrote:

O+ added that feature. Early on, several former cruel children (dusty and rangerx come to mind) abused their sudden moderatordom, obscuring exactly who was fucking with who.

#13 2015-03-24 00:33:31

FluxBB has a "silent edit" option which allows what you're talking about.  It's not clear to me whether this is limited to certain users and/or times, but will investigate further.  In the meantime, the "Preview" button is your friend when posting.

To help keep things practical, this is my plan of attack:

A. Identify what extra functionality exists on High Street above standard PunBB/FluxBB.
B. Determine which items from step A we want to keep.
C. Identify existing mods for FluxBB which can provide as much from step B as possible.  Figure out how to convert data (if needed) from the current site to be used by them, and apply them.
D. For things that have no existing mod available, write our own.
E. Once that's working, entertain requests for installing additional mods for new features.

We're currently at step A.  Most of the discussion so far falls under steps D and E, which is fine, but a little premature.  Don't be upset if it takes a while to address some of this.

#14 2015-03-24 09:36:10

Thank you square and choad.  Your efforts are appreciated.   

But why isn't Kathy a moderator?

#15 2015-03-24 22:13:46

square wrote:

1. Top-banner image upload and voting (custom hack)
2. Side-banner display (custom hack)
3. Polls (AP_Polls mod)
4. Static pages (AP_Custom_Pages mod) - there are only five of these: About High Street, Toys Go Boom, The Venomous Blotoad, Show Us Your Perkies!, and Cruel History.
5. Private messages (AP_Private_messaging mod)
6. Allow HTML in posts (AP_allow_html mod, plus possibly some other hacks to the code)
7. BBCode toolbar for editing posts (Easy_Visual_BBCode mod)
8. Ignoring users (custom mod)
9. Generic image upload (Automatic Image Upload with Thumbnails mod by Koos)
10. Numerous hacks to alter post display to remove avatars, etc. (custom hack)
11. Front page (custom hack)
12. CAPTCHA for new user registration (custom hack)

It's a reminder of how much work you've already done. 

Thank you.

#16 2015-03-24 22:29:55

That's right, thanks again! Not many would do all that work for the convenience of low-life scumbags.

#17 2015-03-25 00:25:38

The only item on that list I am solely responsible for is the ignore feature.  Everything else was first done by orangeplus or choad, though I have hacked on some of them to varying degrees.

If you insist on thanking me, best way to do so is to get off your ass and organize that in-person party already!

Board footer

cruelery.com